Napa Platinum 41365 and 47356 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, I'd like to thank 2015_PSD for cutting these open for me with his nice cutter and taking pictures. I really appreciate it.

Both of these filters were run for 2 OCI's.

First, here is the Napa Platinum 43165.
This was run on my wife's Subaru Forester, which sees extensive short trips.
2.5L 4 cylinder NA (non-turbo)
65,661 total miles on vehicle when the filter was removed.
This filter saw GC + a full can of LM MOS2 for 5771 miles and then a M1 TDT + a full can of LM MOS2 for 6800 miles. This filter saw a total of 12,571 miles and 2 can of colloidal moly!! Did the filter plug up? Let's see...

http://imgur.com/a/sXyjq

Here is a UOA that accompanies the second run of oil that this filter saw:
2009 Forester UOA

Next, here is the Napa Platinum 47365.
This was run on my 2010 Honda Accord, which sees mostly highway miles.
2.4L 4 cylinder
69,130 total miles on vehicle when the filter was removed
This filter saw a 50/50 mix of PU 5w20 and PU 5w30 + 10 oz. LubeGard Biotech for 6170 miles and another run of 50/50 mix of PU 5w20 and PU 5w30 + 10 oz. LubeGard Biotech for 8221 miles. This filter saw a total of 14,391 miles.

Now onto the pics. As you can see, there is quite a bit of "junk" in the can. I am a bit surprised. I guess I expected to see this from the Subaru filter, since it saw all that colloidal MOS2. The engine on this Honda looks really clean through the oil filler cap. I have no idea what oil the previous owner ran, but since I've owned the car (at 34k miles) it's only seen PU for approximately 6k mile OCI (the last OCI was the longest to date, at 8221 miles). The previous own may have run dino oil, and it appears from service records, the oil was changed at 9k, 17k, 27k, and 34k miles.

http://imgur.com/a/Z4BnT

Here is a UOA that accompanies the second run of oil that this filter saw:
2010 Accord UOA

Any and all comments are welcome.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm grateful that this "inefficient" filter was able to capture all this debris and keep it from circulating throughout my Honda engine.

2015_PSD indicated that the debris appears to be byproducts of combustion, and not wear particles.

Napa Platinum 47365
bNuEMNi.jpg

I'm also happy that running two full cans of LM MOS2 through a pretty darn small filter didn't appear to have detrimental effects on the filter. If you look at the UOA for Subaru Forester, you'll see that my Insolubles were quite low (0.2%). The filter doesn't appear to be plugged in the picture (it's not caked up with particles) and but appearances can be deceiving. So, if the filter would have actually been plugged, I would have expected that insolubles number to be quite a bit higher.

Here's the pic of the tiny Napa Platinum 41365 that had TWO can of LM MOS2 ran through it:

Napa Platinum 41365
HXXirn1.jpg

Last edited:
Having never cut open a WIX/NAPA Platinum, I was impressed with the overall quality of construction--especially in the case of the 43165 (Subaru). It was definitely the smallest one that I have cut, but it was still quite "beefy" inside. For two OCIs on each filter, I have to say two thumbs way up!

Nice C&P! Good looking filter for 12k+ miles.

What do those Napa Platinums run you? I've never run one but I hear pretty dang good things about them.

Originally Posted By: ccap41
Nice C&P! Good looking filter for 12k+ miles.

What do those Napa Platinums run you? I've never run one but I hear pretty dang good things about them.

I got them on sale for about $10 each, I think. I don't remember, exactly. When Napa runs their filter sales, sometimes they will mark down the Platinums....sometimes just the Golds though.

I could have paid $8, could have paid $11. I'm not sure. It was 2 years ago. But I know it wasn't $5 or more than $11.

Sure the WIX XP is inefficient by what we have read here, but truthfully I see no problem with that. Just look at Toyota's inefficient OEM filters.

I wouldnt mind trying one if I can get it on sale. Rock Auto seems to have decent prices too if you can add them onto an order.

Filter looks good ... Thanks for the C&P.
smile.gif

Hyundai OEM Oil Filter #26300-35503
Hastings Engine Air Filter #AF1511

2011 Ford Focus SE, 2.0L
Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20
Motorcraft Oil Filter #FL-910S
Motorcraft Engine Air Filter #FA-1890

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back