Napa oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that most Napa's are running sales on both the Gold and Platinum series filters for $6.75 and $7.99 respectively (at least in my area). What is the general consensus on one vs the other these days? Looks like they both sport the silicone ADBV and the Gold has a long history as a quality unit made by Wix. Any news on the Platinum? Application would be truck in sig with OCI of 1yr/10k miles/IOLM indication, which ever comes first. Typically I change at <15% IOLM which is in the 8000-8500 mile range.

Silver is a low priced Wix (maybe Pro-Tec?)

Gold is a standard Wix, top quality.

Platinum is a Wix XP, jury is still out on those. Seem to be high flow but filtering is questionable.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I don't consider that a sale at all my commercial account is less than that

OK?

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer

Platinum is a Wix XP, jury is still out on those. Seem to be high flow but filtering is questionable.

I believe the NAPA Platinum is a synthetic filter.

The Napa Gold is their top tier filter with 95% efficiency at 20 microns, the Platinum is a 50% efficient at 20 microns filter and is not their top tier filter.

I suggest getting the Napa Gold if you choose their filters.

Either filter flows more than enough, as it's been discussed many times, the oil filter offers very little restriction at all in our oiling system compared to the engine. We have positive displacement oil pumps, we shouldn't be choosing filters based on flow, but rather construction quality first and efficiency last.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The Napa Gold is their top tier filter with 95% efficiency at 20 microns, the Platinum is a 50% efficient at 20 microns filter and is not their top tier filter.

NAPA Gold is more top tier than NAPA Platinum?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer

I believe the NAPA Platinum is a synthetic filter.

That's what the Wix XP is...
http://www.wixfilters.com/wixxp/index.aspx?ct=wixp

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

NAPA Gold is more top tier than NAPA Platinum?

Yes it's slotted as their top of the line filter, which is why it has superior efficiency 95 % vs 50 %.

The Napa Platinum / Wix XP is just there to fill a void so they can say they have a "synthetic" media filter.

Oddly enough it should be their top of the line filter but they cut corners on it for sure.

If you email Wix they will tell you the Gold is their top filter.

Yet every filter mentioned meets or exceeds all OE requirements rendering the chest thumping moot.

The lowly air filter should be getting more attention. My insolubles dropped from .3 to .1 and silicon from 18 to 8 with the only change being that I swapped in an air filter with the foam pre-filter.

If you have an Advance Auto Parts near-by just order a Fram Ultra online(pick up in store) with a good coupon code for around $7 and then do the $2 MIR. You will get a great filter 99+% efficiency at 20 microns and with enough capacity for up to 15000 miles.

Originally Posted By: IveBeenRued
If you have an Advance Auto Parts near-by just order a Fram Ultra online(pick up in store) with a good coupon code for around $7 and then do the $2 MIR. You will get a great filter 99+% efficiency at 20 microns and with enough capacity for up to 15000 miles.

How dependable is that ADBV remaining workable for 15K? It concerns me because my AC Delco PF61 has no ADBV and I never worry about bypass problems. I run that AC Delco for 12K (6+6).

I don't mind spending $3-4 more for the Ultra on sale. But can I depend on the ADBV 100% of the time?

Last edited:
How dependable is that ADBV remaining workable for 15K? It concerns me because my AC Delco PF61 has no ADBV and I never worry about bypass problems. I run that AC Delco for 12K (6+6).

I don't mind spending $3-4 more for the Ultra on sale. But can I depend on the ADBV 100% of the time?

The Fram Ultra that I used for a little over 15K had no issues with the ABDV--it was quite pliable.

Fram Ultra uses a silicone ADBV, just like other long OCI filters. It it were nitrile then I would have concerns for anything over a 5k OCI.

I too am confused as to why Wix would make such a quality cellulose media filter but then make a synthetic filter with such a low filtration. I've used Wix/Napa Gold filters for 8k-9k OCI's using group III oil and following the GM OLM with no issues in the past so they do well with medium length OCI's.

Originally Posted By: IveBeenRued

The silicone wont get stiff like rubber if that's what you're asking.

Originally Posted By: buck91
I see that most Napa's are running sales on both the Gold and Platinum series filters for $6.75 and $7.99 respectively (at least in my area). What is the general consensus on one vs the other these days? Looks like they both sport the silicone ADBV and the Gold has a long history as a quality unit made by Wix. Any news on the Platinum? Application would be truck in sig with OCI of 1yr/10k miles/IOLM indication, which ever comes first. Typically I change at div>

The best NAPA deals depend on the area, I live by Grand Rapids and the NAPA owned stores have the Golds at half off such as Leonard St, Plainfield, 4 Mile Rd and others through this Saturday most typical Golds are less than $4ea.Example I have my list for Friday and need a few 1085's > $3.75ea. The Independent owned NAPA stores will not have as generous of a discount.
TOTO.

Originally Posted By: buck91
The Leonard st Napa has $4 golds? I did not know that!

Yes they usually do it twice per year spring and fall, I shop at 4 Mile and the counter guys have told me the Apple Farmers buy a whole years worth and spend as much as $3,000. But it would be 6 without the sale so you cant beat the savings.
TOTO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back