napa gold = wix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Why do these things always turn into a FRAM Ultra commercial?

I'd be slow to recommend an Ultra unless you have some history using that particular filter in your own vehicle.

FRAM can be hit and miss on some applications.

So you can make some anit-Ultra comments.
grin.gif

I re-read my post and believe it is spot on.

No filter is the answer across the board except standard Wix/NAPA Gold.

I feel comfortable stating if it's in a NAPA Gold box, it's not going to fail in service.

Carquest is changing to a different manufacturer, but I haven't heard about Napa changing. Oreilly's microguard is now a wix made filter.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
Carquest is changing to a different manufacturer, but I haven't heard about Napa changing. Oreilly's microguard is now a wix made filter.

I'm like you, no news of NAPA moving to an alternate supplier for their filters.

Until O'Reilly, NAPA, Carquest, and OEM were the only sources for a Wix filter out there.

I can't see Wix walking away from a market they have built with NAPA over many decades.

But Wix could possibly turn to commercial filter sales at Walmart.

Napa and Wix have built there businesses off eachother for so long, it would be hard for me to believe that they would change. Doesn't matter to me, I use Wix made filters as well as Fram.

Originally Posted By: mimelio
$6.99 @ https://www.filter1.com/ using code MOPARTS $8.06 with out code...that's for a Wix 57202 which is NAPA Gold 7202

with that same code, the 57202XP is only $6.78 (without the code, it's $7.87) Weird that the XP is cheaper though.

Question is, if the XP/Platinum is cheaper, then why use the regular Wix/Gold?

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Question is, if the XP/Platinum is cheaper, then why use the regular Wix/Gold?

Because the efficiency is better on the WIX/NAPA Gold version.

I got 12 wix 51372 filters from filter1. Ended up being $4 a piece plus free shipping last week. Wish I could get the Tough Guards for that price.

Quote:
I would believe that Carquest is changing since they were bought by Advance, but I'm not so sure about NAPA.

Posted quite some time ago that UCI/Fram/Champ had acquired the CQ oil filter contract. Then a youtube thread posted (linked below) with specific information construction information. It was subsequently made private. Oops. But there's more than enough information in the thread to get a good idea of the construction of both.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rs_#Post3563707

As for Napa other than the singular passing reference here, I've seen no indication of a change of manufacture. Wix been making Napa Gold and other lines for a long time. Afaik Baldwin makes no silicone adbv filters and imo that would be step backwards for the current NG.

So lacking authoritative information to the contrary, I'll leave any change at Napa in the realm of unproven hearsay and Wix as manufacturer.

Yeah those CARQUEST blue filters remind me of a Mobil 1 filter in just about every aspect of the element and build quality. The CARQUEST filters will be using leaf spring retainers and the nylon bypass valve on the dome end just like Fram Ultras. Efficiency is 99% microns so pretty good almost as high as the Ultra which is stated as 99.5% in some places.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Originally Posted By: CDX825
They sell actual wix filters. Not rebranded made to store specs like napa does.
NAPA Gold filters ARE actual WIX filters except for the paint on the can.

Yes the golds are I'm fully aware. The cheaper ones are not though.

That's why I would rather buy one that says wix on the can. At least then I know what I'm getting.

That's why I would rather buy one that says wix on the can. At least then I know what I'm getting.

The Napa Silver and ProSelects are also WIX made. Pretty stout IMO for a "jobber" filter. I'd run with confidence. Just an FYI, the Oreillys MicroGard is equal to the Napa Silver too. At least here locally, they are cheaper too.

You can also get the Wix cheaper, especially when purchased online.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
....The CARQUEST filters will be using leaf spring retainers and the nylon bypass valve on the dome end just like Fram Ultras...
Cont'd OT
Now that the CQ yt video has been re-released I don't believe the Champ design to be 'just like' the FU bypass, which is a combination leaf spring and bypass separate from the element itself. The CQ design looks to be an element integral design as the yt at 3:26 would indicate. So it would similar to previous Champ designs using an interior element dome coil spring similar to some M1.

Back to topic, as noted Napa Gold is equivalent to Wix branded/labeled filters and made by same. Best price on the NG's in this area are obtained at local Napas NG 40% off semi-annual sales.

The Wix 51372 for my truck is 6.99 at O'Reilly auto near me. The Napa in town sells the Gold 1372 for 7.99. They will match the Wix price at other local stores.

The Platinum is 12.99

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sayjac

Best price on the NG's in this area are obtained at local Napas NG 40% off semi-annual sales.

That's coming up in my little town the first week in February.

I've got Feb. 5th posted on my work calendar so I don't miss it.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Originally Posted By: sayjac

Best price on the NG's in this area are obtained at local Napas NG 40% off semi-annual sales.

That's coming up in my little town the first week in February.

I've got Feb. 5th posted on my work calendar so I don't miss it.

How did you find out when the sale was?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back