napa for cv axles and wheel bearings/hubs?

NAPA axles are now called Premium axles. The counter guy said that it just says NAPA on the box and they can come from several different manufacturers depending on availability. Their marketing webpage makes it sound like they all come from a specific facility and sounds a lot like the Cardone marketing.
You can buy a remanufactured oem Toyota axle for about the same price but it does not have a lifetime warranty.
It seems that the preferred boot is thermo plastic but it looks like all after market axles use neoprene. (except a few Cardone Hd)
Comments?
Thanks
If the Toyota axles are the same price, those will be better than the NAPA.

Are the ones on your car shot, or are you just replacing with the other front end parts?

So, is the consensus that a remanufactured OEM axle would be preferred over a new aftermarket?

DO they actually replace the bearings? Are new bearings even available?

Any idea if Toyota reman uses thermoplastic boots?

If the Toyota axles are the same price, those will be better than the NAPA.

Are the ones on your car shot, or are you just replacing with the other front end parts?
One side is ripped and has no grease left. The other side is starting to leak.
It would cost more to have my mechanic rebuild one than a new aftermarket would cost.
I know new Toyota would be better but what about reman Toyota?

So, is the consensus that a remanufactured OEM axle would be preferred over a new aftermarket?

DO they actually replace the bearings? Are new bearings even available?

Any idea if Toyota reman uses thermoplastic boots?
To me "remanufactured" means potentially re-ground, which is not a good idea in most cases.

The best option is to "rebuild" or re-boot OEM if you catch it in time. Otherwise, a new axle, whether that means OEM or the highest quality aftermarket you can source.

And good question about being able to buy new bearings. I don't know. My guess would be they might be so expensive it makes a complete aftermarket assy look very appealing...??

A few years ago, I got a rebuilt CV axle from NAPA for a 2000 Grand Caravan. The CV axle made an awful noise under a year. I got a replacement rebuilt CV axle under warranty. That one made a grinding noise in 3 months. I ended up getting a new CV axle from NAPA and has been flawless for the last 4 years.
So I don't what to believe anymore in regards to rebuilds from auto parts stores vs new from China. I've had many "made in China" parts last. My guess is that many rebuilds are done quickly with lower quality parts/practices to meet a price point and last

The wheel bearing hub units sold at NAPA are jobber quality. If you want OEM quality you have to pay at least 4X more. Your choice.

Back