Naked Engine ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like most newer vehicle don't have naked engine anymore.

Most V8, V6 and even some 4-cyl have plastic cover the engine. What is plastic cover for ? To hide the ugly of the engine ?

What happen to the beautiful craft engine valve cover for you to look at when you open the hood ?

Mazda 4-cyl with engine cover

Mazda+CX-3+17.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
What is plastic cover for ?

It's there to hide the delicate wires going to the fuel injectors.

Some engine covers will also have foam insulation to help dampen the sound of the fuel injectors.

It also helps with air flow and heat retention and has the added bonus of keeping nosy owners' fingers out of where they don't belong (in the OEMs' opinion).

I agree with you 100% on this. I'm not a fan of this recent practice myself. I agree that is it likely meant to dampen noise, improve air flow, and keep owners out of it. However it is easily defeated by removing a couple of screws
smile.gif
which I have done just to get a first hand look. Like when a dealership wanted me to get my valve covers changed when I was getting my spark plugs changed. I knew there was zero leaks from my valve covers so I turned that down. Just would've been for money for the dealership and a unnecessary repair.

Its not as new of an idea as one would think.Early designs had the 58 Edsel engine completely covered in a formed assembly that included the air cleaner housing.My guess was to set the Edsel apart from everything else and hide the fact that the engines were ordinary Ford/Mercury items.It never got past one engine on a stand though probably due to cost cutting or else it would have ran hot.

Same reason new cameras have stickers all over them describing the features (12x zoom!). So someone in the showroom can draw a quick conclusion about features (hey, skyactiv) without actually knowing anything. And without looking like an idiot by asking.

That mazda looks better than, say, a late 80s ford 302 with miles of ignition wires and hose draped all over everything willy nilly.

IMG_0015.jpg

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I agree with you 100% on this. I'm not a fan of this recent practice myself. I agree that is it likely meant to dampen noise, improve air flow, and keep owners out of it. However it is easily defeated by removing a couple of screws
smile.gif
which I have done just to get a first hand look. Like when a dealership wanted me to get my valve covers changed when I was getting my spark plugs changed. I knew there was zero leaks from my valve covers so I turned that down. Just would've been for money for the dealership and a unnecessary repair.

And they probably would have created oil leaks where none existed before.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
What is plastic cover for ?

It's there to hide the delicate wires going to the fuel injectors.

Some engine covers will also have foam insulation to help dampen the sound of the fuel injectors.

DI injectors are very noisy.

I pulled the cover off of my SkyActiv engine and was surprised to not see a beautiful Aluminum engine but, a black conglomeration of hoses, wires and "stuff" I put the cover back on and decided it looked better that way. Ed

I think because expensive cars did it initially they followed suit. However a major benefit is not thought has to be made making a neat looking motor when a new car dealership opens the hood for potential customer or new car brochures photos taken.

IMHO its because its cheaper to throw a cover over it, than to make a nice looking well laid out engine bay.

The majority of owners don't know the difference so why make the effort?

Last edited:
I don't like the idea of mechanics leaving those covers off when the car is finished and returned to the customer. I happened to a neighbor that asked me what they should do about it. My answer was to return to the shop and get it replaced.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
IMHO its because its cheaper to throw a cover over it, than to make a nice looking well laid out engine bay.

The majority of owners don't know the difference so why make the effort?

I agree. It's cheaper and contributes to the "keep your hands off" message while we are on our way to no-dip-stick, extended maintenance, self driving future. Yuck!

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
DI injectors are very noisy.

BMW calls my cover an "acoustic cover" and if you drive with it removed you can notice the difference even with "normal" injectors.

Sometimes there are covers that aren't covers:

Rolls-Royce-Phantom-Black-engine-lg.jpg

Some motorcycles did similar about 20 years ago. A mechanic told me the covers were a pain to remove and replace.

Last edited:
In hot weather, when the last thing needed is heat "retention", what's the cover do? Like the phony two tailpipe exhaust, it's done to convey a "look" and perhaps a "don't touch, take it to the "service technician" attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back