Mystik HD JT-8 10w30 vs Rotella 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mystik is a synthetic blend...they both seem to carry about the same ratings, the Rotella dino is obviously cheaper per quart, I am wondering if it is a toss-up for a 5k OCI or if one or the other might have a significant advantage in any one area (TBN, etc...) I will say the Mystik is SL-rated and not SM-rated like the Rotella, but they both are CJ-4

anyone have any insight into this for a gasoline flat-tappet application?

well thanks for the input so far guys...I have 2 cases of the Mystik on hand @ 3.99 per QT...and even some of the SM-gasoline 5w30 for the g/f car.

But it was of course AFTER I stocked up on the Mystik that I finally found a source locally for the Rotella 10w30 and it was close to a buck-fifty cheaper per QT so it of course got me thinking...I am sure the syn-blend idea is better if cost is not considered...But I wanted to get thoughts & input.

I agree w/ Johnny that I'd sleep better if it was still CATO but still appears to be a stout oil none the less based on data sheets. I did not find a data sheet on the Rotella though

For 5k mile OCIs, I'd use whatever is cheaper, if reasonably available. You'll never wear either oil out with that type OCI in "normal" use.

Both are fine products.

I have personally experienced great results from 10w-30 Rotella; see my Dmax diesel UOA.

I also use that same product in my Kubota, air cooled equipment, 1966 Mustang, etc.

But I would not hesitate to use the Mystik, were it a tad cheaper.

Don't base what you buy on TBN's that dosn,t tell you how it will perform in your application. Rotella, Rotella T are not CJ-4 approved. You have to go to the synthetics before you for you get that approvel from Rotella. I do like synthetic blends better because they tend to stay in grade longer and dont brake down as easy under high heat or pulling a load. If money not a big issue stick with the synthetic blend.

Originally Posted By: Wiff
Don't base what you buy on TBN's that dosn,t tell you how it will perform in your application. Rotella, Rotella T are not CJ-4 approved. You have to go to the synthetics before you for you get that approvel from Rotella. I do like synthetic blends better because they tend to stay in grade longer and dont brake down as easy under high heat or pulling a load. If money not a big issue stick with the synthetic blend.

well the Mystik is CJ-4 and API SL rated so it must have a killer additive pkg

Rotella is all CJ-4, 10w30, 15w40 and recently the 5w40 all are CJ-4. I've never heard of Mystic, but rotella works great.

Wiff, you are grossly mistaken, to be blunt.

All the current Rotella multi-grade products are CJ-4 compliant. As are many, many other non-synthetic products from all the major manufactuers.

Last edited:
My local store has 2 gallon jugs of Mystik for 19.49. That is a pretty good deal. If I did not hate supporting commies, I would use it all the time.

I have been using Mystic for for over 40 years (It doesn't seem that long) in passenger cars as well as industrial engines and large trucks. My engines do not wear out. Exceptions: Cat 3208 only lasted 15 years of daily use. GM Oldsmoble and Chevy Pickup Diesels lasted 150000 miles between target engines. I once had a Case 336 Turbo that went 13000 hours before a sleeve cracked. There was not a bit of sludge in the engine and we put in new standard bearings just because we didn't feel right using the old ones.
I use 15W50 except for the winter when I use 10W40.

Consider this when trying to put a value on the cost of oil.

Originally Posted By: Klyph
I have been using Mystic for for over 40 years (It doesn't seem that long) in passenger cars as well as industrial engines and large trucks. My engines do not wear out. Exceptions: Cat 3208 only lasted 15 years of daily use. GM Oldsmoble and Chevy Pickup Diesels lasted 150000 miles between target engines. I once had a Case 336 Turbo that went 13000 hours before a sleeve cracked. There was not a bit of sludge in the engine and we put in new standard bearings just because we didn't feel right using the old ones.
I use 15W50 except for the winter when I use 10W40.

Consider this when trying to put a value on the cost of oil.

Hey thanks for the input...my feeling is that the Mystik being a syn-blend of approx 20%, and also having a possibly superior additve pkg to the Rotella dino it is worth the extra cost?

I scored big yesterday, I work PT at Advance auto parts and noticed 5-2gallon jugs of Mystik 15w50 on the clearance rack for $9.95 each. I got my 20% discount on top of that so I bought it all for $39.80. I use Rotella 15w40 in my old nova/383 stroker motor,but for .99/qt I hope it doesn't mind the switch.

Originally Posted By: jazeo
I scored big yesterday, I work PT at Advance auto parts and noticed 5-2gallon jugs of Mystik 15w50 on the clearance rack for $9.95 each. I got my 20% discount on top of that so I bought it all for $39.80. I use Rotella 15w40 in my old nova/383 stroker motor,but for .99/qt I hope it doesn't mind the switch.

good deal...I wish it had been 15w40 for a fair comparison, but Mystik is good oil despite the Chavez connection!

I agree, actually to be completely honest, I got so excited about the price I never even noticed it was 15w50 till I got home. I thought it was 15w40...lol I doubt the Nova will mind, it screams no matter what I put in it.

I did a VOA on the Mysik JT-8 15w50 Synthetic Blend last year,

The results were zero on the Blackstone report for all except:
Silicon: 5
Calcium: 1100
Magnesium: 952
Phosphorus: 895
Zinc: 1063
SUS@210f= 89.4
cSt@100c= 17.83
Flash= 425f
TBN= 10.0

Seem like a thick plain jane 15w50

Originally Posted By: DB_Cooper
I did a VOA on the Mysik JT-8 15w50 Synthetic Blend last year,

The results were zero on the Blackstone report for all except:
Silicon: 5
Calcium: 1100
Magnesium: 952
Phosphorus: 895
Zinc: 1063
SUS@210f= 89.4
cSt@100c= 17.83
Flash= 425f
TBN= 10.0

Seem like a thick plain jane 15w50

well the VOA I have found on the synthetic-blend 10w30 Mystik JT-8 looked better than that...I can't speak for the 15w50. That is a decent TBN though is it not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back