Mystery Tire Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a few months before I stuffed my Triumph away I had to slap new rubber on it....new Pirelli RT66 tires. They never lost a bit of air, but since I have pulled it out, the rear is losing about 2 or 3 pounds of air a day. I was worried it caught a nail...but the soapy water trick reveals no bubbles on the tire face. It also does not reveal a leak from the tire valve (I even put a new core in). I can only guess it is coming from around the bead.

Any fix for this other than new rubber? I was wondering since it say in an unheated garage the rim getting so cold caused some leakage and maybe it has just not reseated yet.

2 or 3 lb a day should be findable with soap and water. just do one section at at time.

I Agree with rand. I actually did my wife's ties last week took 35 minutes but with soap and water spray I eventually found it very small piece of metal.
Just keep looking if there's truly nothing to the bead. Depending on wheel type you may clean around the bead with sandpaper or use the bead sealer

I have checked it slowly twice. Not coming from the valve and there is nothing in the tire.

Just wondering if it is possible that the bead is not sealing well due to the alloy rims. The bike is only 2 years old and the bike had fine pressure when parked for winter. Both tires were way down when I pulled the cover off to ride. The front aired up and stayed up, but the back wont.

Last edited:
I dont think the wheel would cause the loss being only 2 years old. Unless your installer gouged the bead area or some other damage while the area was exposed. Some tire lose air worse than others. On my Concours1400 Michelin Road 2s and 3s lost about 2 or 3psi a week, this was thru aprox 8 sets of tires. The new Road4s I installed a month ago seem to seep no psi. A welcome change.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Did you check the wheel closely for cracks? They are often small hairline cracks.

You can also use tire sealants to fix small leaks.

I may try some ride on. Only have a couple thousand miles on the tires.

can you not check the tire bead area with soap and water also?

if its leaking 2-3# a day if you can get soap and water over the leak whereever it is.. it will bubble.

Last edited:
Id think so too..I have never had an issue finding a leak before. I may have to pull the tire and have it tanked. Its not bubbling anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back