Mystery filter -- who makes this 300K of pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
 -

-

-

This number is printed on the top of the can.

-

This is the only other markings on the can

-

I got a couple of these from Sears in an unmarked cardboard box It has nothing written on it except for SL14477 and Made in USA.

The guy said that he's not supposed to sell those, but doesn't have any others in stock. I'm guessing those are the ones they use for their oil change service.

It would appear that your assumption is correct...

From the Wix site:

SL14477 POWER FLO 51396 (wix equivalent)

PowerFlo
SL30001

As you may suspect by the part number, this filter is a Purolator Premium Plus. There were no manufacturing differences, but the cost was an average of $2 instead of $3.

So this one is just different packaging for non-retail sale such as for Sears to do their oil change service?

It cost me US$2.50 for each of those filters, and the retail price for the other Purolator filters there were $3.99 each.

This one does not have the string like that one in the web site. However, looking at the media closely, it appears that there may have been one there at one point, but it was removed. There is a consistent mark across almost all the folds.

I'm a bit surprised though that an quick or chain oil change place use a decent filter. Most of the ones I've been to use Fram, STP, Penzoil, or similar filters.

i work at sears and can tell you that is the generic oil filter we use for normal oil changes. we use the purolators on the sales floor if they are requested by the customer.

quote:

Originally posted by bdcardinal:
i work at sears and can tell you that is the generic oil filter we use for normal oil changes. we use the purolators on the sales floor if they are requested by the customer.

So are these filters the same quality as the Purolators on the sales floor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back