My two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dad worked as a service manager at a Cadillac dealer. The North star motors were coming out and they took a few new models, and ran them night and day. Using Mobil One Synthetic.
After two hundred thousand miles they took them apart and found almost no wear.
Mobil synthetic comes in new Corvettes and Cadillacs. Oh, and after ten years my dad remembers replacing six engines. Two were for other reasons. One was for a pin leak from a rear seal. I forgot about the rest. He retired in the nineties.
I tend to use Mobil and change my oil twice a year. Usually just before the weather changes.Fresh oil for the cold or the heat.If i put down any amount of miles i change my filter at about five thousand miles. Sometimes i see oil on sale cheap,semi synthetic. and i may change my oil and drive just a bit and then change it again. To flush out gunk.I have most likely made one mistake. I use 10-40 for high mileage motors. I found it lasts longer or seems like it. Thinner oil just seems like water after a little while.
I have a Dodge caravan and use a ford pickup filter,it's twice as big. I have read nothing but good things about Motorcraft filters. I think about a bypass filter. I will write about that in another post/section.

Last edited:
Welcome to BITOG.

Originally Posted By: ron17571
The North star motors were coming out and they took a few new models, and ran them night and day. Using Mobil One Synthetic.

You could achieve similar results with just about any brand name synthetic.

Quote:

I tend to use Mobil and change my oil twice a year. Usually just before the weather changes.Fresh oil for the cold or the heat.

Unless you put on 20K+ miles a year, what you're doing sounds like overkill and a waste of perfectly good oil, but if it helps you sleep better at night, so be it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Welcome to BITOG.

The North star motors were coming out and they took a few new models, and ran them night and day. Using Mobil One Synthetic.

You could achieve similar results with just about any brand name synthetic.

Quote:

I tend to use Mobil and change my oil twice a year. Usually just before the weather changes.Fresh oil for the cold or the heat.

Unless you put on 20K+ miles a year, what you're doing sounds like overkill and a waste of perfectly good oil, but if it helps you sleep better at night, so be it.
Exactly. And the proper oil weight for your car isn't "like water", it's a placebo effect because it's a smaller number on the bottle than what you put in. Unless your car burns oil you are doing it no favors by changing it with a 40 weight first of all, and a HM oil second of all.

And
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Well, you all know what they say opinions are like. I like fresh oil in my vehicle. As clean as possible.

My Dad worked as a service manager at a Cadillac dealer. The North star motors were coming out and they took a few new models, and ran them night and day. Using Mobil One Synthetic.
Mobil synthetic comes in new Corvettes and Cadillacs. Oh, and after ten years my dad remembers replacing six engines. Two were for other reasons. One was for a pin leak from a rear seal. I forgot about the rest. He retired in the nineties.
I tend to use Mobil and change my oil twice a year. Usually just before the weather changes.Fresh oil for the cold or the heat.If i put down any amount of miles i change my filter at about five thousand miles. Sometimes i see oil on sale cheap,semi synthetic. and i may change my oil and drive just a bit and then change it again. To flush out gunk.I have most likely made one mistake. I use 10-40 for high mileage motors. I found it lasts longer or seems like it. Thinner oil just seems like water after a little while.
I have a Dodge caravan and use a ford pickup filter,it's twice as big. I have read nothing but good things about Motorcraft filters. I think about a bypass filter. I will write about that in another post/section.

If you use mobil 1 and change it twice a year, you shouldn't have any gunk to flush out......

A pre winter change can make sense in cold climates. Pour point can be significantly higher in older oil vs new.

Welcome to the board. You have your own experiences and opinions, so you'll fit right in here.
smile.gif

Oil properly changed always seems thinner, because it should be changed warm, and when warm, it IS thinner. All oils are. Change it cold and it'll seem just as thick as the new stuff going in.

If you really want to learn about oil breaking down, got a Used Oil Analysis done. You'll probably be surprised how much life is left in your oil.

I tend to use Mobil and change my oil twice a year.

What's your mileage on the oil at the end of six months?

There has been a rash of you new guys coming here stating the same. Hopefully over time you will learn to regret this statement. Changing serviceable oil for serviceable oil is a waste of your time, money, and resources.

If it makes you sleep better to have "fresh oil" in your vehicle. have at it! Just don't try to convince me you're keeping your engine cleaner by ridiculously short OCI.

Well, you all know what they say opinions are like. I like fresh oil in my vehicle. As clean as possible.

Take a look around BITOG and learn about various oils and their serviceable uses. 10w40 might be a tad thick for your van, but with your climate, it wont cause any issues whatsoever at least in the summer. How cold does it get in AZ anyways?? 2 yearly OCI's isn't a bad idea either depending on how much you drive. Using synthetic once again might be a bit excessive so maybe consider a quality conventional or synthetic blend?

Good choice with using the oversized Motorcraft filter too. They are a good bang for the buck. Your van should spec the same filter as my Jeep.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Take a look around BITOG and learn about various oils and their serviceable uses. 10w40 might be a tad thick for your van, but with your climate, it wont cause any issues whatsoever at least in the summer. How cold does it get in AZ anyways?? 2 yearly OCI's isn't a bad idea either depending on how much you drive. Using synthetic once again might be a bit excessive so maybe consider a quality conventional or synthetic blend?

Good choice with using the oversized Motorcraft filter too. They are a good bang for the buck. Your van should spec the same filter as my Jeep.
Depends on the part of AZ. In Phoenix it gets to around 30-35 sometimes at night in the winter. Other parts of AZ get snow and can be below 0

Well, you all know what they say opinions are like.

Certainly. We are all just giving you our own two cents, except some of us have been on here long enough to tell which two cents might be authentic.
smile.gif

I suggest you do some actual research.
The oil in the sump at 2000 miles is cleaner than new oil.
Why?
Because it's being filtered over and over again.

Shannow posted particle counts of new oil from the bottle and those results are enlightening.

As far as your Cadillac example are you saying the vehicles ran day and night,without any cold starts.
And you wonder why there's no wear. I assure you it's not the oil.

Your posts are evident that you've got much to learn. I'm going to suggest the search function again.
Just because the oil in the sump is black doesn't mean it's dirty.
And oil is changed because it becomes acidic,it's called tbn depletion.

You've much to learn padawan however I already see an attitude,so perhaps this site isn't for you.
We tend to run on facts and data,and you seem to have strong opinions.
Like you said about opinions......

I came to Bitog with some pretty strong opinons as well. The knowledge and logical opinions expressed here will hopefully humble you to at least have an open mind.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

I don't necessarily agree that we run on fact and data here. There are plenty of opinions here that get repeated as facts. However, unlike most other internet forum, we still have members that will point of these "facts" as being mere opinions. That is why I keep coming back to this forum.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

I also disagree with this statement - I've even had a global mod troll me here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back