My two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The original poster has some silly mythical notions. But to be fair, you have to ask yourself, why are there many old timers here in this forum? Many here 10+ years. And for what? About oil! Now how silly is that! What does it say about a person that comes here and frequently participates in discussions about oil for 10+ years?!? Nothing good, I can tell you that! Get a life, people! Geesus, it is only oil, and we all know that ANY oil of ANY weight would allow ANY car to run to over 200,000 miles!

Looking at your join date, aren't you being a little hypercritical?

Originally Posted By: lovcom
The original poster has some silly mythical notions. But to be fair, you have to ask yourself, why are there many old timers here in this forum? Many here 10+ years. And for what? About oil! Now how silly is that! What does it say about a person that comes here and frequently participates in discussions about oil for 10+ years?!? Nothing good, I can tell you that! Get a life, people! Geesus, it is only oil, and we all know that ANY oil of ANY weight would allow ANY car to run to over 200,000 miles!

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Looking at your join date, aren't you being a little hypercritical?

Originally Posted By: lovcom

You must mean hypocritical.

And I don't think he is because he only has 653 posts since 2007 and in the time I've spent researching information here, I've never noticed him before whereas as he says, others "frequently" participate in the same discussions over and over and over again.

And I also think his post was very funny!

My mental problem with any brown look to oil.When it starts to get dark, i get edgy.

Mercava, It varies. The longest i have ever went is 8000 miles. Now about 3 or 4 thousand miles between changes.I had a girl friend who went 16000 miles on synthetic. Before i saw it. I once saw a blown motor where the people never changed the oil. Forty thousand and it was toast. I saw the bearings and stuff,nasty.

Originally Posted By: ron17571
I didnt like the first two attitudes presented to me.
There wasn't any attitude. Just about 97% fact and 3% opinion.

I didnt like the first two attitudes presented to me.

Just keep reading until you find one that completely agrees with you. That's what it's all about - validation of your own beliefs.

Funny,i hit reply and expected it to appear right under the post.
Oil is a funny subject. Like everything. People have their opinions. I also delivered oil and met various people who told me what they thought about oil.Fresh oil is always the best.Well, that was what my dad told me for years.I like bypass filters. Many people don't.
I do two oil changes a year and i figure that and the two filters in between the changes i have maybe sixty bucks a year into it. It seems cheap to me. Yes testing would be a good idea. Something to keep in mind. I did it with my big rig.
Unless you have an oil burner/leaker. I just don't see why you wouldn't have synthetic oil in your vehicle. I'm happy with what i know. I was just offering another opinion and people got a bit sniffy. I'm not into abuse. Some of you could learn to be a bit kinder. I'll keep adding my two cents. Work on getting a bypass filter. Hang out and learn a thing or two.

My mental problem with any brown look to oil.When it starts to get dark, i get edgy.

This is something many people here seem to struggle with. Don't let it bother you though.. Thankfully you don't drive a diesel either.
wink.gif

I use M1 and other high quality synthetics and change my oil too often also!! I run 6-8000km intervals on it. Short but I like changing my oil! Im trying to run a longer interval..now til april or may..about 13-14k kms. My paranoia led me to use M1 EP and a TRD filter.
smile.gif

I completely understand. When I first showed up on BITOG I did oil changes every 3k miles on Castrol GTX
27.gif
and a Wix filter
cool.gif

Perhaps if you stick around long enough on BITOG you'll become like the majority of us thin oil people with long OCI's
crackmeup2.gif

You're on a pretty good start though.

Fact not opinion: Your plan is wasteful and put simply, ridiculous. By all means, "hang out and learn a thing or two" before you throw your money away. I hope you don't feel I was unkind.

Funny,i hit reply and expected it to appear right under the post.
Oil is a funny subject. Like everything. People have their opinions. I also delivered oil and met various people who told me what they thought about oil.Fresh oil is always the best.Well, that was what my dad told me for years.I like bypass filters. Many people don't.
I do two oil changes a year and i figure that and the two filters in between the changes i have maybe sixty bucks a year into it. It seems cheap to me. Yes testing would be a good idea. Something to keep in mind. I did it with my big rig.
Unless you have an oil burner/leaker. I just don't see why you wouldn't have synthetic oil in your vehicle. I'm happy with what i know. I was just offering another opinion and people got a bit sniffy. I'm not into abuse. Some of you could learn to be a bit kinder. I'll keep adding my two cents. Work on getting a bypass filter. Hang out and learn a thing or two.

Oil Changer states, "Your plan is wasteful and put simply, ridiculous. By all means, "hang out and learn a thing or two" before you throw your money away. I hope you don't feel I was unkind."

Is the OP's routine also wasteful and ridiculous if he recycles his used oil and oil filters? Not.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz

Is the OP's routine also wasteful and ridiculous if he recycles his used oil and oil filters? Not.

Not to be a stickler for details, but just because something gets recycled, doesn't automatically mean it's a zero sum game even if the item can be recycled 100%. Recycling takes a tremendous amount of energy and resources, plus most things cannot be recycled 100%.

Good Lord, people. Why in the world is the OP receiving so much criticism? Because he said he changes Mobil 1 oil twice a year? There was a time not all that long ago where it was the norm to change your oil four times a year. Yes, we've learned a lot and oils have improved. But since when does a person get blacklisted for changing their oil in the spring and fall?

Nowhere did I see the OP state he takes a nice, leisurely 30 mile highway trip at 55 mph once a day that would put him in the category of easily being able to go 10K+ miles between changes. How do we know how he drives? Maybe he fires up his minivan each morning and floors it each and every way to work 2 miles down the road. Maybe he drag races the ol' minivan several times a week. Who knows, besides the OP. My point is, why is he being talked down to because he said that he likes to change his oil twice a year?

Hopefully he will hang around here and maybe learn some things that will help him improve his routine, if it needs improving. Maybe he'll get that elusive by-pass filter he's seeking. The information about the Caddy dealership definitely reeks of outdated believes and misconceptions, but so what? I'm sure each and every one of us on here holds to some belief we learned growing up.

It's sad to see how this site has changed since I discovered it. There used to be a lot of interesting information to be taken away. Now, if you don't follow the advice of a few so-called 'experts', you're a troll that should be banned. I wish this site would not display the number of posts a member has. How much would that change people's opinions about what others have to say? When did it become the rule that if you change your oil more than one time a year that you are a horrible person who doesn't care about the planet or money?

I'm posting this while I'm waiting for my green bean casserole to cook. I'm going to go back and finish watching the Macy's parade and enjoy the rest of this day. I would suggest you all try to do the same, and try to put into perspective how bad it makes this site look by chastising the OP in the way we have. Reading this thread reminds me as to why I have really drifted away from this site so much over the years.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Z-

Mercava, It varies. The longest i have ever went is 8000 miles. Now about 3 or 4 thousand miles between changes.I had a girl friend who went 16000 miles on synthetic. Before i saw it. I once saw a blown motor where the people never changed the oil. Forty thousand and it was toast. I saw the bearings and stuff,nasty.

3 or 4 thousand between oil changes is about right in my illustrious opinion.

8 thousand miles would be way too far. I value the engine more than the oil.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

3 or 4 thousand between oil changes is about right in my illustrious opinion.

8 thousand miles would be way too far. I value the engine more than the oil.

And you are unanimous in that.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back