My Titan and G-Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like many of you, I have a reasonably large stash of oil that is either heavily discounted or FAR. I am using the oldest from my stock so this round it is G-Oil 5W-30 in my Titan with an OEM Nissan 15208-9E01A. The previous fill was QSUD 5W-30 with a Fram XG7317. The G-Oil has been in my stash for probably a year and a few months. I am not sure how long it would have been sitting on the shelf.

After this change whit the engine is all nice and warmed up, I hear a lot more valve noise than I have in the past. My worry is either this Nissan filter is not flowing as fast as the Fram XG was allowing or the G-Oil is starting to break down since it is supposed to do that over time. I have read in some posts on here that it only had a 1 year shelf like, then another later post saying 5 years.

Now, it could be that I am simply being paranoid. I know folks say that M1 is nosier than other oils in some applications and I have never run this combination on this engine. That said, in a couple days this Titan and I are going to make a trip from Indianapolis to Albuquerque and back in the space of 6 days (one day straight there, 4 days of city driving then one day straight back). I don't want to drive that far and hard if it is not being protected like it should.

I got the G-Oil for almost nothing after rebate and I have another jug and a half sitting around waiting for the next change. All of this said, I am seeking opinions.

1 - Change the oil back to QSUD, PP or PU from the stash and go back to the XG Filter.
2 - Change just the filter and see if it improves.
3 - Change just the oil and see if it improves.
4 - Dump in some MOS2 and see if it quiets down.
5 - Stop whining and just keep it in the engine for the full OCI.

#5.

G-Oil wasn't the quietest oil for me at start up, but once it got up to temp all was well.

Did decent enough on a UOA that I don't have any concerns with it.

I figured as much. I just wanted to make sure everyone didn't think it was degrading in to enviro-safe goo in my oil pan.

Another vote for 5.
I've learned that added acoustics doesn't translate to added wear,so just keep an eye on it and if you notice any other abnormalities note them and the. Re-evaluate

if the G-oil is relatively new 2-3k miles of use, leave it in there. if it has more miles than that on the current fill then change it before the trip if it will put your mind at ease.

as the others have said im sure its perfectly fine. oil has a very long shelf life. one thing i always do before pouring in any oil is to shake the bottles very good for a couple mins to blend any additives that may have settled to the bottom over time.

Last edited:
I do not think that your Japanese filter that was made for the Nissan Titan would be the problem.

It was designed for the Nissan.

The first time I used Mobil One Synthetic I had lots of noise coming from my Nissan's engine; it did not run as quietly as before the oil change. So I went to a Nissan dealer and had it changed out to Valvoline Full Synthetic, and the noise went away.

The dealer has changed oil brands and my Nissan seems to like the current Mobil One Synthetic so I suppose that maybe Mobil One was cleaning the engine.

I use the OEM Filters from the dealer and don't have any noises from the engine. I have had the current Mobil One in the engine since around 135,000 miles, and it is still going strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back