My Speeding Ticket - Conclusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
What about the integrity of the judge?

And the prosecutor?

Why in this scenario would you compromise your own integrity? Why would you be worried about a 2nd and 3rd party's integrity? The OP admitted to breaking the law and was caught speeding. What is so difficult to admit you where wrong and own the consequences?

The only argument I get is what about the other parties. This just re-enforces the obvious there is a serious lacking of personal responsibility that is prevalent in this country.

It's not a compromise of integrity, it's a plea bargain. You have no concept of how the law works.

You ignored my statement asking why cops don't give tickets to other cops or their family members? Why are there courtesy cards. If integrity and traffic laws are so extremely important?

He's baiting you...

Originally Posted By: Al

The only argument I get is what about the other parties. This just re-enforces the obvious there is a serious lacking of personal responsibility that is prevalent in this country.

I thinki trying to put a "morality" spin on this is laughable.
Morality and integrity are how you deal with other people...he went into court pleaded guilty (took responsibility) and accepted what the law allows. You wouldn't see the fairest and most honorable judge in the country quibble with this process.

But Somehow you come down from the mountain with your stone tablets and castigate the OP...truly comical and sad.

Yep, it's been my experience that an individual or Corp that is constantly telling you how ethical and honest they are will be some of the least ethical. People who are honest and ethical don't do a dog and pony show.

How do the cops conscience sit in giving friends and family a pass? It's common and accepted practice.

So you would give your best friend or mother a ticket? Interesting...

Cops are people. They prefer not to deal with and police the people they know and love.

So yeah, it's perfectly acceptable, logical, ethical, and sensical, that a cop would give a stranger a ticket and not a family member.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
How do the cops conscience sit in giving friends and family a pass? It's common and accepted practice.

Cops are people. They prefer not to deal with and police the people they know and love.

So yeah, it's perfectly acceptable, logical, ethical, and sensical, that a cop would give a stranger a ticket and not a family member.

That's a nice piece of thinking right there. I'm not even going to try and teach you. Dont have the patience

Good on the OP for achieving a satisfactory outcome. But I don't understand how they can completely change the charge from "speeding" to "parking". The OP didn't commit that offence, so I don't get why he would plead guilty to something he didn't do. (yes, I realise it was to get the lower penalty). And if the courts are actually encouraging defendants to lie...when the whole idea of court is to tell the truth.

This site has taught me that the US legal, insurance and political systems are very different to ours.

When I presided in traffic court I occasionally amended speeding tickets down to a non-moving violation so it wouldn't ding the driver's MVR and alert his insurance. What I did much more frequently was put the ticket on diversion for 90-180 days. If the driver didn't pick up another ticket during that period it was automatically dismissed.
Every now and then I'd have someone show up who lived over 150 miles away- those I usually dismissed outright; I figured if someone drove over two hours to contest a ticket they deserved a break.
Speeding tickets anywhere other than school or construction zones are almost always nothing more than just a revenue scheme- the prosecutors and I almost always refused to play.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
So the City had a fundraising event and You decided to donate.
That's really what it boils down to.

O.P. here,
That's a good one.
--------------------------------------------
People, people, can't we all just get along.
It was a win/win situation for everyone.

The Judge was happy.
The Prosecutor was happy.
I'm happy.

And Happy Memorial Day to everyone.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

bubbatime is a great poster

But I'm flashing back to The Place Beyond The Pines right now.

And Happy Memorial Day weekend to everyone as well.
34.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
That's the point...admittedly speeding, but then pleads (under oath) guilty to parking....

That's really low form.

A judge up here, as in a non-traffic judge, a real provincial court judge or higher, would never agree to this. It would have to be an included offence. On the other side of the issue, the prosecutor couldn't really be punished for trying this here, without going to the Law Society, since there is no lower position for a Crown prosecutor to go here than traffic court.

Originally Posted By: Prune_Juice
How's your conscience sitting with "playing the game" ?

I'm curious. How does your conscience sit being in management?

Serious question.

Don't worry, tv.. He speeds, too.

Ouch.

Check your blood color. It should be red.. So, no need for the "Do as I say and not as I do, lesser human."

Yep, and if the speed camera (blatant revenue raising) that I cruised past over the limit on Thursday ends up in a ticket, I can't deny it...I was there, and I was over the posted limit. The camera car was there.

A series of facts on my behaviour at that point in time...and I'm responsible.

As to T.V.s snide about being in management...is he saying that managers HAVE to be unfair and without conscience, or that understanding his own motivations HE would be unfair and without conscience.

I've had pretty good feedback from all ends (Unions included) on my character the last decade.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
When I presided in traffic court I occasionally amended speeding tickets down to a non-moving violation so it wouldn't ding the driver's MVR and alert his insurance. What I did much more frequently was put the ticket on diversion for 90-180 days. If the driver didn't pick up another ticket during that period it was automatically dismissed.
Every now and then I'd have someone show up who lived over 150 miles away- those I usually dismissed outright; I figured if someone drove over two hours to contest a ticket they deserved a break.

See, that I get...a judge using "judgement"...

It has more to do with his previous history with the original poster, I bet. People in the "good ole boy" club always get the thumbs up. Yes, just about everything has an "ole boys" club. Everything has their mafia. And you normally have to off someone to get into management.

See T.V. you are projecting your own motivations into what you believe you would do if you were me.

And you are wrong....but at least you are used to it.

Why should the OP's conscience bother him?
You clearly have no concept of how criminal, or in this case minor misdemeanor law operates in America.
Pleading down to a lesser charge is the norm.
Were it not, our courts would have years of backlog of cases awaiting trial, with potentially years of costly jail time for those awaiting these trials.
Most matters misdemeanor and felony are bargained down to a going rate of time imposed or dollars paid and people move on and do the time or pay the money.
A kind of rough justice is achieved.
No reason for the OP to feel any qualms about it.

Originally Posted By: Al

I thinki trying to put a "morality" spin on this is laughable.
Morality and integrity are how you deal with other people...he went into court pleaded guilty (took responsibility) and accepted what the law allows. You wouldn't see the fairest and most honorable judge in the country quibble with this process.

But Somehow you come down from the mountain with your stone tablets and castigate the OP...truly comical and sad.

Tell me what is so sad and comical about admitting to being caught. Please explain because I don't get it down here.

Originally Posted By: Prune_Juice
He's baiting you...

Nope as many things in life you don't understand Joseph it was plainly answered.

If you made a mistake and was caught why would you be concerned about the judge and LEO's?

Baiting would be asking why after being banned here constantly you keep coming back.

It has nothing to do with "integrity." If any of you have ever observed yourself violating a traffic rule or law, or for that matter anything that violates the rules and laws of your community, town, state, and country, and failed to turn yourself in demanding to pay the consequences, then you too must be lacking in integrity. Observed your wife, relative, or friend doing this and you didn't report them? Same thing.

For every rolling stop you ever did. For any jaywalking or being 1 mph over any posted speed limited. Driving with a head light or brake light out no matter how short the time frame. If you did not immediately pull your car off the road and seek out emergency assistance for a tow or repair, you lacked integrity.

Ever ran through a stop sign in a strange area that you just didn't see? Or went down a one way street that you were unfamiliar with? I've done that multiple times. If you didn't immediately seek out a police officer to write you up you lacked integrity, more so than the OP who was actually caught in the act. You violated the law and did nothing to rectify it to the community.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
It has nothing to do with "integrity." If any of you have ever observed yourself violating a traffic rule or law, or for that matter anything that violates the rules and laws of your community, town, state, and country, and failed to turn yourself in demanding to pay the consequences, then you too must be lacking in integrity. Observed your wife, relative, or friend doing this and you didn't report them? Same thing.

For every rolling stop you ever did. For any jaywalking or being 1 mph over any posted speed limited. Driving with a head light or brake light out no matter how short the time frame. If you did not immediately pull your car off the road and seek out emergency assistance for a tow or repair, you lacked integrity.

Ever ran through a stop sign in a strange area that you just didn't see? Or went down a one way street that you were unfamiliar with? I've done that multiple times. If you didn't immediately seek out a police officer to write you up you lacked integrity, more so than the OP who was actually caught in the act. You violated the law and did nothing to rectify it to the community.

I am not surprised by this at all. You have demonstrated the inability to read an GM owners manual. Thus admitting being caught making a mistake and moving on is completely foreign to you.

Yeah, it gets back to hpb's point a few posts above.

I agree, I don't understand your systems.

It's New York. Art of the deal and all that.

Tell me what is so sad and comical about admitting to being caught. Please explain because I don't get it down here.

Coming down from the mountain with stone tablets (like Moses) to castigate the handling of a ticket in traffic court is sad and comical. Actually mostly comical.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back