My Sonata Failed Inspection

2010 Sonata 2.4, purchased new, 383 k. The check engine light wasn't on, I had to go to motor vehicle agency, so I figured to run it through, to find out check engine light wasn't working.
Three codes:
PO128. PO449. PO741
Just had to replace the thermostat housing, and now one of the codes is engine not running hot enough. Another is the transmission, third is emissions. Car runs great, I'm weighing all options, will look into getting it repaired. Transmission code involves the clutch, can't remember full name, wonder how much to replace entire trans w either rebuilt or one from junk yard. I'll put my ear to the ground for a good used car (reliable, nothing fancy at all, won't buy from dealer, don't trust, am skeptical of off lease vehicles - would love to stumble on a Sonata from same generation ('06 - '10). How much might this cost vs getting a used vehicle? Since my inspection sticker is July I have 3 months.

Thanks,
Adam

I would not be afraid of an off lease vehicle. They can often times be great deals because they are usually still under factory warranty and maintenance and keeping the car clean is a must for a lease. I've bought 2 and been the best vehicles.

First one could be the temp sensor or the new thermostat or maybe even air in the system.

The second one could be the valve or even wiring.

The third one sound expensive - torque converter lockup issues? Probably want to tackle that first before putting good money after bad.

Is it rusty or rust free?

Be nice if we knew where you lived. There might be a state-specific loophole, and rust or the lack thereof is part of the equation.

Assuming you meant statute miles and not kilometers, that seems like a more than reasonable lifespan for an aging value priced car, or any car.
May well be time to part with it and move on.

Miles or kilometers?

These are great cars, I’ve got a 2007. It might be time to look for a replacement. Maybe you can find another one where an old lady died and it’s got low miles, that’s how I got mine. Estate sale car.

I would not be afraid of an off lease vehicle. They can often times be great deals because they are usually still under factory warranty and maintenance and keeping the car clean is a must for a lease. I've bought 2 and been the best vehicles.
2 for us as well, both great vehicles. Since the dealer usually pics up the tab for regular maintenance for a leased vehicle you have a better chance of the vehicle being maintained properly, imo. People are much more likely to get *free* maintenance done than anything they have to pay for, IME.

Back