My sister had a weird experience at Wal-Mart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by skyactiv
My younger sister got off work and went to Wal-Mart to buy a few things. She only wanted to buy a gallon of milk and some canned tuna.
She said an employee came up to her and said your not allowed to carry items, they must be in a cart or in a basket. And he tried handing her a basket.
She told the guy whatever and walked off. My sister said he was serious and it didn't look like he was joking and he had two baskets. She is 6'2". I think the guy did it
to see if she was a woman or not, but you never know.

Quite possible that this particular Walmart is in a high theft region.
Also, next time find out your sister's definition of ''whatever''. We cant help you fully unless we know what your sister's verbal response was. We also need to know if your sister was carrying her winter coat instead of wearing it, which when folded across her arms, applies itself as a nice shield for stealing items.

I grocery shop at Giant.
Nobody ever bothers me, no receipt checkers either. No one at the doors, no greeter either.
You can't even find an employee to help you find anything.
I never see panhandlers in the parking lot. A scum free zone. I didn't realize how lucky I am.

wife was looking for makeup, now the whole aisle is covered in locked glass cabinets for makeup.

No store jockey to be found, guess we aren't buying makeup at walmart.

Same deal for razors, back to amazon we go.

Around here in NH just the Sams club checks reciepts. When there is a large cartful you know that the employee can`t possibly compare reciept to load accurately. It`s a joke because a thief will have hidden anything they want. Soon enough RFID will be universal.

Originally Posted by JustinH
wife was looking for makeup, now the whole aisle is covered in locked glass cabinets for makeup.

No store jockey to be found, guess we aren't buying makeup at walmart.

That aisle was the second biggest money hole in our entire store for many years. Over 100k/year in loss. The only thing bigger was electronics just due to the cost of the stuff and not by much.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Patman
I just got back from Walmart and bought a spray mop, some hardwood floor cleaner, a battery for my car remote, 3 packages of Lindor chocolates and a package of hot dogs and didn't have a basket or cart. It's often fun to see how much you can carry without a cart or basket!
laugh.gif

lol.gif

Originally Posted by Dickm
Around here in NH just the Sams club checks reciepts. When there is a large cartful you know that the employee can`t possibly compare reciept to load accurately. It`s a joke because a thief will have hidden anything they want. Soon enough RFID will be universal.

Oh yeah, I forgot how much of a joke it is. I sometimes go shopping with a friend who doesn't have a card at BJs or Costco. But we'll throw everything in the same cart on the way out as it's usually just a few things. Normally I just hand over one receipt and they punch that one. Done it about a half dozen times, only once did the guy notice that there should be another receipt for the other half of the stuff.

Just keep the cart rolling and don't stop.

They don't give me any trouble. I don't usually grab a cart at Walmart. My intentions are I'm only getting just a few things. But then I end up carrying a TON of stuff. Last time the other week my arms were completely full and for whatever reason I just had to buy a gallon of washer fluid too. Somehow carried that as well. I still haven't used it
crackmeup2.gif

Solution: don't patronize Walmart. Aldi's, Meijer, Ruler Foods, Payless Foods, are all great alternatives, with many many other local options.

I either plan ahead and buy things by avoiding Walmart, or I do without. The only thing I advocate buying at WM is 5qt oil jugs, because their price is $10-15 less than the car parts stores in town. If this ever ceases to be true, God willing I will never, ever set foot in another Walmart as long as I live.

Originally Posted by Uphill_Both_Ways
I had no idea that holding a basket in one hand prevents everyone from pocketing a can of tuna with the other.

Common sense says its easier for camera security to watch one hand movement on video - versus two hands.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Solution: don't patronize Walmart. Aldi's, Meijer, Ruler Foods, Payless Foods, are all great alternatives, with many many other local options.

I either plan ahead and buy things by avoiding Walmart, or I do without. The only thing I advocate buying at WM is 5qt oil jugs, because their price is $10-15 less than the car parts stores in town. If this ever ceases to be true, God willing I will never, ever set foot in another Walmart as long as I live.

You may earn plenty, and can afford other (more expensive) options, but millions don't.
Over 50% of USA Americans live week-to-week financially.

I'm not sure why so many people are against Walmart, their prices are great and they carry a lot of things. I find them very convenient for me, I live less than a mile from one, so if I need to run out and grab something (like I did last night) then it's very convenient. I do try to avoid it during the busiest times though, because it can be a zoo. There are a lot of things at Walmart that are 20-25% cheaper than what I'd pay at the grocery store or other department stores. Save money, live better
smile.gif

Originally Posted by skyactiv
My younger sister got off work and went to Wal-Mart to buy a few things. She only wanted to buy a gallon of milk and some canned tuna.
She said an employee came up to her and said your not allowed to carry items, they must be in a cart or in a basket. And he tried handing her a basket.
She told the guy whatever and walked off. My sister said he was serious and it didn't look like he was joking and he had two baskets. She is 6'2". I think the guy did it
to see if she was a woman or not, but you never know.

Is she pretty or cute ?
Very tall women like your sister are very uncommon.

I agree the guy probably very curious about your sister....

I'm not sure why so many people are against Walmart, their prices are great and they carry a lot of things.

This may be true in large cities, but our local Walmart is the only "grocery" store within a 40 minute drive. One of my friends works at the distribution center about an hour away, and said that as far as produce is concerned, it is an unwritten rule that all of the stuff close to expiration or a little bit substandard goes to our Walmart.... because Walmart has bankrupted the 3 local grocery stores and now has no need to ensure they are as good as the other options... because they have the monopoly for a large area.

I'm not sure why so many people are against Walmart, their prices are great and they carry a lot of things. I find them very convenient for me, I live less than a mile from one, so if I need to run out and grab something (like I did last night) then it's very convenient. I do try to avoid it during the busiest times though, because it can be a zoo. There are a lot of things at Walmart that are 20-25% cheaper than what I'd pay at the grocery store or other department stores. Save money, live better
smile.gif

I think it depends on where you live. My parents live in the boonies, they have a Walmart by them that is never busy, it's clean and you can check out quickly. That's the only Walmart I will go to.

With primarily shopping at Costco, Target, Amazon and Trader Joe's, Walmart isn't saving me any money and waiting 10+ people deep in a checkout line after shopping in a filthy store to come out and have 3 shopping carts leaning against my car isn't living better.

I used to go to Walmart for oil, but Amazon has it for the same price and will deliver it for free same day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back