My rant on my 2019 Lexus RX 350

or try the CVT on for size. They
seem to have that wrked out).
Nissan was putting CVTs behind the VQ35DE V6s on the Altima/Maxima/Quest/Murano and there was a toroidal RWD CVT conceived for the Infiniti G3x/Skyline and M/Fuga that never made it into production. It’s probably prone to the same issues as their usual Jatco units in their 4-cylinder FWD cars.

I’m guessing Nissan had a failure too many with the V6 CVTs and went with the ZF 9HP in the new Pathfinder.

Nissan was putting CVTs behind the VQ35DE V6s on the Altima/Maxima/Quest/Murano and there was a toroidal RWD CVT conceived for the Infiniti G3x/Skyline and M/Fuga that never made it into production. It’s probably prone to the same issues as their usual Jatco units in their 4-cylinder FWD cars.

I’m guessing Nissan had a failure too many with the V6 CVTs and went with the ZF 9HP in the new Pathfinder.
The ZF 9 speed transverse application has been atrocious everywhere its been used. Stellantis Cherokee, Honda/Acura Pilot/MDX, the list goes on. I dont know if ZF has been quietly improving this model but its astonishing why so many mfgs are still using it.

Toyota is way too conceited to admit there is even a mistake to be corrected😂.
There is nothing wrong with the transmission. It’s tuned that way for comfort. Toyota Lexus is not a drivers car. It is a comfortable, very reliable vehicle that will give you hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of miles with no breakdown. You want a drivers car go get you a BMW.

got a 21 rx 350 for the wife as well. I notice it has to shift down to have any kind of power, but I've always found it to shift appropriately and quickly. I've never had trouble with it gear hunting even traversing steep grades. they may have polished the programming from 19 to 21.

this drive was not like ur e. MA ones. It takes time for the transmis to 're-learn' the new locale.
U were probably happier when thru the Greens. Unhappy again if commin thru that way home.
Too many puters in these things. Nother 2, 3 yr they'll have it right (or try the CVT on for size. They
seem to have that wrked out).

Transmissions do not learn locations.

I was fortunate to understand that part of your post. The rest of it is not understandable at all.

I've been impressed with the ZF8 in all the vehicles I've driven with it so far. It seems the other transmission offerings are polar opposites. You either have a 10 speed that can't decide what gear it wants to be in on a straight stretch of 40 mph road, or a CVT that will just scream at redline the entire time up a highway on-ramp.

I've been impressed with the ZF8 in all the vehicles I've driven with it so far. It seems the other transmission offerings are polar opposites. You either have a 10 speed that can't decide what gear it wants to be in on a straight stretch of 40 mph road, or a CVT that will just scream at redline the entire time up a highway on-ramp.

As per my recent thread I just bought a 2020-F150 with the ten speed. I find if you use a steady throttle the transmission behaves fine. For example-if your at 40ish mph it's in 8th gear and stays there. However-if your drive it like you stole it I could see it never finding the right gear. Complaints about "never finding the right gear" have somewhat to do with driving style-IMHO.

As I stated previously-the multi gear transmissions and CVTs will just become more common-it's the world we live in.

There is nothing wrong with the transmission. It’s tuned that way for comfort. Toyota Lexus is not a drivers car. It is a comfortable, very reliable vehicle that will give you hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of miles with no breakdown. You want a drivers car go get you a BMW.
You misspelled appliance.

I abhor CVT's. While it's fine for my ATV, I absolutely cannot stand them in a car/SUV.

As per my recent thread I just bought a 2020-F150 with the ten speed. I find if you use a steady throttle the transmission behaves fine. For example-if your at 40ish mph it's in 8th gear and stays there. However-if your drive it like you stole it I could see it never finding the right gear. Complaints about "never finding the right gear" have somewhat to do with driving style-IMHO.

As I stated previously-the multi gear transmissions and CVTs will just become more common-it's the world we live in.
My Transit 250 3.5 10 speed weighs 8500 lbs. with me in it-“drive it like you stole it” is SOP! The issue I have is the delay on upshifts & going into gear in the first place, I had one today going from park into drive (closed throttle) that banged so hard I expected the driveshaft to be on the ground! I’ve never been a big fan of Ford automatics, but they’ve never been as bad as they are now…

My Transit 250 3.5 10 speed weighs 8500 lbs. with me in it-“drive it like you stole it” is SOP! The issue I have is the delay on upshifts & going into gear in the first place, I had one today going from park into drive (closed throttle) that banged so hard I expected the driveshaft to be on the ground! I’ve never been a big fan of Ford automatics, but they’ve never been as bad as they are now…
Are these delivery or fleet vehicles?

Interesting that some people are all over Mazda's case for sticking with a six-speed auto in its SKYACTIV cars instead of going to 8, 10, etc.

But the new Mazda SUVs will have a rear-drive eight-speed.

It's the same with my mazda, having to shift down all the time when trying to get uphill. It's extremely annoying. I'd much rather have a CVT in a non-performance car, at least I don't have to wait for the car to think and shift.

It's the same with my mazda, having to shift down all the time when trying to get uphill. It's extremely annoying.
Downshifting on an uphill is one thing, and that's fine by me. I think the OP was describing "hunting," which is constant up and down shifting. The vehicle will up shift and then start losing speed, causing it to have to down shift to pick up speed, and then up shifting again... never ending cycle.

Downshifting on an uphill is one thing, and that's fine by me. I think the OP was describing "hunting," which is constant up and down shifting. The vehicle will up shift and then start losing speed, causing it to have to down shift to pick up speed, and then up shifting again... never ending cycle.

Ahhh, gotcha. Yea in that case the mazda's isn't too bad. It's manageable, but was driving me crazy at RMNP this weekend. The combination of high elevation, steepness, and 35-40mph made the car shift between third and fourth annoyingly alot - although this is a specific case. I would still prefer a CVT for a commuter car though. It's overwhelmingly annoying pressing mashing down on the accelerator and waiting for the trains to shift down a gear at a time.

It’s not comfortable when the transmission has to constantly shift gears. If a transmission does have to constantly shift like with modern 6+ speed transmissions, a lot of tuning has to go into the design and operation so to reduce NVH.

There are a lot of complaints with Toyotas 8 speed transmissions. Also their 6 speed to a lesser degree. It feels as if Toyota hasn’t fine tuned their latest transmissions.

Last edited:
Back