My rant on my 2019 Lexus RX 350

I didnt think of that, but it is a learning transmission. If his wife's been driving it then you jump in, it might be totally different feeling based on your different driving patterns. Our new Toyota took about 300 miles before it calmed down a lot.

Also, if it has a sport mode try that. It will hold gears far longer. Some like it better.
Im not too sure how much it actually learns. Usually most transmissions are preprogrammed with a finite amount of maps, and when it rolls off with its first owner/after resetting the transmission ECU with its second, the ECU is suppose to match as closely as possible driver habits with a preprogrammed map. It wont constantly adapt.

Too conceited!!!!!!

They did software patch the earlier 8-speeds and it from pathetic to barely tolerable. Should visit the Lexus dealer and make sure the software is the lastest and greatest. https://www.motorbiscuit.com/class-action-lawsuit-over-1-million-toyota-8-speed-transmissions/

I like the 2gr with 5/6/8 speeds(fwd/awd/rwd)... I do find that I will run premium fuel prior to hooking up any trailer. And, for all cross country or vacation trips, it will also get premium fuel. I can tolerate regular the rest of the time. Toptier used always.
When they rolled the Aisin 8 speed the initial units with the refreshed last gen highlander, they had a pretty bad failure rate according to a large minority of new owners. However later units were pretty much great.

This Aisin 8 speed debuted as the F sport only 3rd gen RX, and then became standard kit on the 4th gen. The 3rd geners didnt really complain, the 4th geners did from the get go with various prescriptions to fix (like the 91 octane fix) etc.

Sidenote transmissions have varying quality due to programming and models.
ZF 8 speed longitudinal mounted units are the gold standard
ZF 9 speed transverse mounted units are pile of poo

To be fair he selected one model of the RX. It comes in several variations. If performance is your only benchmark for an automobile then the F Sport models of the RX would be a better choice.
If he was incharge of product planning he'd probably design the RX to follow the current gen LS product language and alienate their loyal fanbase. Lexus owns the segment unforuntately and I doubt they want to rock the boat and mess up as bad as they did with the current LS. Enthusiasts have Bmw, MB, Audi

To be fair he selected one model of the RX. It comes in several variations. If performance is your only benchmark for an automobile then the F Sport models of the RX would be a better choice.
You mean RX500h F-Sport Performance with the hybrid system attached to the 2.4L turbo and the AWD system that uses 30% of the available torque on the rear electric motor, along with a 6-speed automatic instead of the Power Split device that behaves like a CVT on the 2.5L hybrids

You mean RX500h F-Sport Performance with the hybrid system attached to the 2.4L turbo and the AWD system that uses 30% of the available torque on the rear electric motor, along with a 6-speed automatic instead of the Power Split device that behaves like a CVT on the 2.5L hybrids
I was hoping that Toyota, the godfather of the hybrid game would somehow succeed where others have failed on designing a really robust PS system....wrong. To be honest their outgoing v6 hybrid shall be my favorite setup due to the v6. The upcoming Prius will show how they intend to update their current systems while the F sport Performance is really catering to the previous gen F sport enthusiast who wants power but not too much power, if that makes any sense

Meant to type on the phone... 30% minimum at all times on the rear electric motor, vs. being able to go FWD only on the 2.5L hybrids for fuel economy.

I was hoping that Toyota, the godfather of the hybrid game would somehow succeed where others have failed on designing a really robust PS system....wrong. To be honest their outgoing v6 hybrid shall be my favorite setup due to the v6. The upcoming Prius will show how they intend to update their current systems while the F sport Performance is really catering to the previous gen F sport enthusiast who wants power but not too much power, if that makes any sense
I'm technically happy getting 40 mpg on my commute with my 4-banger AWD hybrid SUV.

That’s the one. I’ve noticed that there are three or four different power trains depending on the model you get. Some of the hybrids have a CVT.

That’s the one. I’ve noticed that there are three or four different power trains depending on the model you get. Some of the hybrids have a CVT.
Like I said, the ones with the 2.5L engine has the power split device that behaves like a CVT. It's not a true CVT, like you find on say a Corolla, or Subarus.

Like I said, the ones with the 2.5L engine has the power split device that behaves like a CVT. It's not a true CVT, like you find on say a Corolla, or Subarus.

Correct. It’s their e-CVT. They also have one setup with a 8 speed automatic.

The four bangers are good motors. One of the hybrid models gets 38-40 mpg which is pretty good for that size of vehicle. Toyota is giving some options depending on your preference.

Here is an article on the four power train options.

Toyota basically stopped tuning their ICE vehicles since the 3rd gen RX for the most part. The hybrids they have been refining quite frequently, and quite ironically the Hybrid RX owners have been taunting the ICE 8 speed owners who complain about the Aisin 8 speed shifting issues to simply trade in for the hybrid. That being I would do recommend a TCU reset if it mattered (i see OP is talking about his wife RX).

Correct. It’s their e-CVT. They also have one setup with a 8 speed automatic.

The four bangers are good motors. One of the hybrid models gets 38-40 mpg which is pretty good for that size of vehicle. Toyota is giving some options depending on your preference.

Here is an article on the four power train options.

It's not even close to being a CVT. All the CVT's currently for sale are electronically controlled, so, you can call them e-CVT's also.

But Toyota calls it a e-CVT for marketing for plain folks.

See video on how it works and you see it does not resemble a CVT one bit. It doesn't use CVT fluid. It uses Toyota-WS ATF instead.

It doesn't do that with the 6.4L, lol. It'll pull Everest in overdrive, hahhaha.

The second day I had my Challenger with the 392 I was in a Fry's parking lot and got pissed at someone. Barely hit the throttle and lit the rear tires up...quickly taught me to respect the power of the 392.

I'm technically happy getting 40 mpg on my commute with my 4-banger AWD hybrid SUV.
Thats Toyota's point vs common media clickbait hot takes. When the Sienna media reviews came out, EVERYONE complained how slow and not performance oriented the Sienna was....yet no once really considered what families would value...MPG.

As they say, Toyota is one company that really knows their customer, and spends alot of RD just analyzing who their buyer is and how they utilize their products.

It's not even close to being a CVT. All the CVT's currently for sale are electronically controlled, so, you can call them e-CVT's also.

But Toyota calls it a e-CVT for marketing for plain folks.

See video on how it works and you see it does not resemble a CVT one bit. It doesn't use CVT fluid. It uses Toyota-WS ATF instead.

I guess that makes me a plain folk. Interesting video.

Thats Toyota's point vs common media clickbait hot takes. When the Sienna media reviews came out, EVERYONE complained how slow and not performance oriented the Sienna was....yet no once really considered what families would value...MPG.

As they say, Toyota is one company that really knows their customer, and spends alot of RD just analyzing who their buyer is and how they utilize their products.
I’ve been seeing a lot of Sienna hybrids roaming the Bay Area as Ubers - the MPG is a big selling point for that. A friend wants to get one - but dealers are marking them up by $20K around here.

The old Sienna was a beast in the HP department, seems like Toyota gave that up to Mopar with the Pacifica.

this drive was not like ur e. MA ones. It takes time for the transmis to 're-learn' the new locale.
U were probably happier when thru the Greens. Unhappy again if commin thru that way home.
Too many puters in these things. Nother 2, 3 yr they'll have it right (or try the CVT on for size. They
seem to have that wrked out).

The only CVT Toyota uses is in the Corolla. Everything else is a stepped 8/10 speed, a parallel-split hybrid, or a geared hybrid(not the ones with “fake” gears but the LS500h/RX500h F Sport).
Actually, the LC500h and LS500h is a combination of the Power Split Device and a 4-speed automatic final drive, to simulate a 10-speed automatic, where a normal automatic has a fixed final drive.

17-12-14-lexus-gear-ratios.jpg

But the Corolla CVT, does have a geared 1st (or take off gear), before it shifts into a CVT.

Back