My Plumber

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used our family plumber for a job that was above my skill level.
I didn't want to but my mother lives down the road and she was afraid that he would see another truck-plumber at my house.
They used these guys since 1963.

I was unhappy with their attitude myself. So I called and asked for an appointment- read appointment...
Now I have limited water because of a twin pressure tank failed system and it was in place for 17 years- no issues.
( Different plumber- new house then)

I got a sermon on how busy they were and chastised a bit... I told them I don't need them that day but called for an appt.
He scheduled me and it was a 10 day wait. I told them I could streamline the process and I sent him a picture of the issue and told him I needed two pressure tanks, switch etc. He was not happy and said that it would take several
days to get that stuff and he needed a credit card upfront and so on.

I told him I'd get the stuff if it helped him out- he said okay do it.
Yesterday was the appt. at 8AM sharp. I got up 5AM and took the doors off the access area and laid out all
the parts and unboxed the pressure tanks etc. It was a walk in and get it done job. I even supplied the Teflon tape.

He calls at 8:30 and said he can get out there until 10AM because someone else has no water. At this point my
water stopped running two days ago. He shows up after 2PM no apology, no calls, nothing... Okay I remain calm
and keep my mouth shut and help him drain the tank and turn off everything. I supply a hose, bucket and tray and a extra
light for the area. Then I leave him alone.
He finishes the job- takes the old tanks and all of the brass hardware with him and even my spare pieces from the Water
Tee etc. But he leaves all the trash and boxes for me to take care of.

He hands me the bill with a religious pamphlet wrapped up in it and I cut him a check and I hand it to him
and he looks at it sternly for a minute and then smiles and walks away. He charges $125 and hour and a $79
service fee to come out. I think since he wasted 6 hours of my time he could have waived the $79 fee.
All of that aside he won't be back on attitude alone.

Maybe he had a bad day, but it does sound like someone who I wouldn't call back either.

He took the brass, and left you the trash! You bought the parts, so the brass should have been yours.

I agree- he did a good job but I am more sympathetic than most as when I worked on guns
I would get busy and I'd tell people I was 1-2 weeks out and I worked 7 days a week and I was polite they would get nasty.
I need it in two days...... So I understand but with these guys its been the norm and that's why I did not want them.
But in all honestly I contacted others prior and get the same attitude and its the same with electricians here.
So now I try to do my own work unless its to the point you really need a pro.

Originally Posted By: supton
Maybe he had a bad day, but it does sound like someone who I wouldn't call back either.

Sorry you had so much trouble. While its easy to give arm chair quarterback advice, we can all (most) relate to your actual frustration.

Besides the great difficulty to find and establish a good working relationship with trades people, it seems that you need to find a way to cut the apron strings with your parents without ruining family ties. If your parents are delusional, like many are, it might be harder than is seems. A few here will advise you to "man up". They don't realize that some people/parents would sever ties if you don't follow their time honored traditions. My parents were from Europe and were about as stubborn and pig headed as they come. They nearly disowned one of my brothers in a situation not much different than yours.

I suppose the best thing would have been to tell your parents that their plumbers were not available to do the job, its an emergency, you were forced to hire someone else. I'm sorry. That "steals the thunder" from any grief they will try to give you.

Relax now and work on a plan for the future. Good luck trying to find good trades people. Imagine the parents "I told you so" when your next plumber botches a job! Its a no win situation no matter what you do. Just accept that. But, be careful if you wish to not ruin family relationships. So many people are so fickle about minor things.

Getting some tile work done that is above my skill level, 2 days of work. The "Tiler" won some commercial bid work which delayed my "filler" job for 2 weeks. I want to use him since he is very good and tile is forever.
Showed up to start the job today, and knocked $200 off the quote on the job.

Good for you- Sounds like the right thing to do.
Good Luck!

Originally Posted By: Danno
Getting some tile work done that is above my skill level, 2 days of work. The "Tiler" won some commercial bid work which delayed my "filler" job for 2 weeks. I want to use him since he is very good and tile is forever.
Showed up to start the job today, and knocked $200 off the quote on the job.

Practice the ethics of the free market. I'd personally go with someone else but it's finding the right one that is the key. When I was remodeling a section of the house I looked at all the contractors and all seemed to be like the plumber you just described. Finally I found this awesome Mennonite man who does remodeling and plumbing etc. He was the kindest individual I have ever met, gets the jobs done on time and always 15 minutes early before the appointment. He even hand carved our wood cabinets for the kitchen with good quality wood and it still came out cheaper than the generic stuff you see at lowes that all the contractors were pricing me with. His bill always was right around his quote.

I have since then always given this gentlemen and his crews my business from then on. Apparently he does so well by word of mouth that he doesn't even advertise and his schedule is completely maxed out.

Wow what a piece of work!
Call and tell him you want your parts back.

How much would the job have been with someone else? Unless he gave you a sweet deal I would say screw that guy.

Tell MA her friend is a dope.

Leave a nice negative online Review.
Did he take your Teflon tape too?

He sound like a reaaaaal big D.

Last edited:
if you are up to some passive aggressive revenge leave this post on their google and yelp review pages.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I used our family plumber for a job that was above my skill level.
I didn't want to but my mother lives down the road and she was afraid that he would see another truck-plumber at my house.
They used these guys since 1963.

Don't worry about what mommy may think. It's time to grow up, and as an adult you should be able to choose your own plumber without worrying that it might upset mommy.

I was unhappy with their attitude myself.

Then you should have thanked them, hung up the phone, and then found a professional, customer service oriented company.

I got a sermon on how busy they were and chastised a bit... I told them I don't need them that day but called for an appt.

And you still used them as your plumber?

He scheduled me and it was a 10 day wait.

How many red flags do you need?

I told him I'd get the stuff if it helped him out- he said okay do it.
He calls at 8:30 and said he can get out there until 10AM
He shows up after 2PM no apology, no calls, nothing

No surprise there.

But he leaves all the trash and boxes for me to take care of.

Again, anyone could have seen that coming.

He hands me the bill with a religious pamphlet wrapped up in it and I cut him a check and I hand it to him
and he looks at it sternly for a minute and then smiles and walks away. He charges $125 and hour and a $79
service fee to come out. I think since he wasted 6 hours of my time he could have waived the $79 fee.
All of that aside he won't be back on attitude alone.

He never should have been there in the first place. Consider it a lesson learned.

Don't ever settle for poor service, there are other plumbers who are willing to come take care of you and provide a better service. Definitely don't let your mother dictate who you hire, very good chance that these people have no clue who you are and don't care who your mother is.

Pop Rivit

Nothing wrong with supporting your families wishes.
And nothing wrong with flexing a bit to console your parents.
I lost my father in November and the last thing I want to do is upset my 85 year old mother.

I tried three other plumbers and got the same blow off. I should have posted this.
I guess they are all busy and had no interest in new customers.
The first thing they asked was, where I was located and if I was a customer.

When you say you were not a previous customer they were not interested.
We will get back to you. They never do.

You're right. I won't worry much about your definition of being grown up.

sound like you need more plumbers in MD.

125/Hr?

some tradesmen are nuts and robbers.

I had quote for carpentry on my house ( tear down and rebuild two adjacent outside walls and install 2 new windows)
cheapest was 17 grand.

I took a a couple days off work called a friend ( master carpenter semi-retired) offered him 400 bucks a day for advice and help and use of his truck.

Did job in 3 days (1 day just myself) for under 2800.00 TOTAL.

We have an awesome plumber that we use. Was referred to him from a close friend who said this guy does not advertise at all and tells his clients to only refer him to good people. He has come to the house more than a few times, the house is 48-49 years old, and done a bunch of work. If he is going to be late he calls, and he calls when he is on the way. Prices are always reasonable and he cleans up.

We saw him at the Italian restaurant we go to a few times a week. He and his dad would talk to us and eventually we ended up eating with them. His dad passed away a few months ago, went to the funeral. Now every time we go there he is waiting at the bar to eat with us. He has a few winged sprint cars so he and I talk racing and guns. Plus the best part anytime we need another trades person he gives us the names of the guys he works with.

another example of "no good deed goes unpunished."

Thanks for helping your mom, next time let her do the talking.

I am paying something like $125 an hour for my plumber, perhaps a bit higher on eastern long island, NY. It is long established and busy shop.

My guy comes when you need him and doesn't have any of the attitude that the OP's plumber had. It costs more in Maryland and NY than it does in NH apparently.

They used these guys since 1963. .....

It might do that fellow a bit of good to see another plumbing truck at your house.

If he took your property without your permission, it's theft in my book. He could have at least taken the trash with the good stuff.

Sounds like a total douche bag. He basically stole all your brass pieces to sell them as scrap I bet. I'd immediately go back and get your property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back