My OCI checklist

After an OCI was performed (oil cap closed/dipstick oil level : full)

I check on the following (visual inspection):
1) Brake fluid
2) Belts
3) Coolant
4) Wiper blades
5) Wiper water reservoir
6) Tire thread wear (depth)
7) Shock obsorvers
8) Engine leaks if any (oil/coolant leaks)
9) Spare tire pressure check (I normally check all 4 tire pressures every 2 weeks)
10) Brake pads/brake fluid leaks
11) Clean any oily hand prints on the car
12) Door hinges if it needs lubed
13) Head lights, brakes lights, back up lights etc (lights can go off anytime but normally I perform the test every often in the darkness of a car garage with garage door closed (of course). If you don't have a garage door, go to any strip mall with businesses with glass windows. There test the front lights and then back off to test the rear lights. The reflection on the glass windows will tell you if all the lights are functional

All of these can be done in less than 30 minutes. (without going to the strip mall ;))

Last edited:
A little tip for testing brake lights that I've used. I use a retractable trekking pole/walking stick and just extend it between the brake pedal and the steering wheel and lock it in place with pressure on the pedal.

You deserve a gold star for getting it done in less than 30 mins. That's better than a participation award.
Like I said, these are all visual inspections and all the things I need are within my reach. I always work inside my garage, all fluids are separated from power tools.
#1 - #9 in less than 10 minutes
#10 takes the longest, but with power tools (cordless impact torque wrench) a flashlight, jack stand and a floor jack, less than 15 minutes whether it be disc or drums.
#11 - #13 less than 5 minutes.
I am not bragging. This is the way how I do it.

Not a bad routine. A long time ago, as a boy I would clean and lubricate wheel bearings, chain, and pedal hub, on my bicycle, which other boys in the neighborhood did not perform on their bikes. Quess whose bike lasted the longest. As a young adult exposed to military service we did daily checks on our vehicles and I found myself right up to par from my boyhood. I was already accustomed to the routine. As an old guy now I still do all routine services on my cars.

Back