My Observation of K&N filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALS

Last night we replaced my power steering pump and started getting things out of the way. Well I started from the top and pulled off the Turbo hoses on the right side of the engine compartment. Well I got the shock of my life when the hose to the inlet was pulled.

I swapped out my K&N right after my original turbo seized at 247K miles. You see when I pulled the turbo the inlet and turbine face was covered with an oily grime. The K&N filter had been in the car about 100K miles before this happened.
Well this turbo was spotless. I kept looking at the inlet and couldn't believe I was looking at a turbo with 100K miles on it. It looked brand spanking new. I have been running OEM paper filters since the turbo seized.

You guys can keep telling me how much a K&N filters, I'll never believe you. When you SEE the proof of what filters and what doesn't filter you get religion. After seeing what I saw last night I don't care how low your oil analysis says the silicon count is with a K&N. It will never be low enough to change my feelings about a K&N.

87 Volvo 745T 346,500 miles

I hate KN's, my intake tract was always filty with them. Whenever I use Paper filters, my intake tract is cleaner and the intake manifold etc is cleaner.

I believe they changed the newer K&Ns because there was so much trouble with them...the newer ones seem to do a lot better job than the older versions.

steved

Funny how the
stooges.gif
feel compelled to continually self-identify themselves.

Over oiling, under oiling, excessive cleaning, improper installation, ad nauseum, they never learn. And they just seem to love telling the world about it. Amazing.

Quote:

Over oiling, under oiling, excessive cleaning, improper installation, ad nauseum, they never learn. Amazing.

Why bother having to deal with all that for more engine noise?
No performance or MPG gain.
Go with a Amsoil EA or just go with paper and change it every 15K miles or so.

Because a K&N flows better which will improve performance and mileage. No I am not saying by a lot but common sense applies here too. They also pay for themselves easily over time. How much is one of these AMSOIL filters ? Anything with that name on it will be overpriced.

People seeing anything behind the filter is because of too much oil, the oil gets on the surface and dust will stick to it. With your paper filter there is no oil for the dust to stick to.

Quote:

How much is one of these AMSOIL filters ? Anything with that name on it will be overpriced.

Anything you say. The EaA Air Filters retail range from $29 - $3X range - with a few over that. I called around for the Honda Ody AF - Schuck's wanted over $30 for a Fram. My Volvo AF is in the $25 area. WIX are in the teens, dealer cost higher.

Amsoil EaA Air Filters

Amsoil Dealer and PC EaA AF price? Starting at $22.

Really good pricing for a long lasting, excellent air filter. I'd say the only real bummer is they don't have a large enough fitment yet. Some cars that are quite common and no EaA air filter.

I used k&n filters for years with no problems, however when i purchased my 06 sentra i wanted to try something different. I went with the AFE drop in filter instead, after doing some research the AFE seems to be a better filter.

When the turbo seized, maybe the excessive oil was because of that, and not the K+N.
Are you blaming the failure on the K+N? Or blaming the oil that you saw on it, and neglecting the fact that the turbo blew?

good thing you it stuck to that oil in the inlet huh? if not, it would've gotten into your engine...

I tried a K&N on my BMW R1100RS bike and noted that the throttle bodies soon became coated with a film of gritty oil. The filter was installed "as it came" in the box with factory oiling. It doesn't matter how they flow if they don't filter! Also, there are many reports on car forums of MAF sensor contamination from K&Ns.

I had a K&N istalled. The engine check light came on (10k). It was the MAF and inlet had a film of oil. I cleaned the MAF and switch to the EaA filter.

Quote:

Funny how the
stooges.gif

Over oiling, under oiling, excessive cleaning, improper installation, ad nauseum, they never learn. And they just seem to love telling the world about it. Amazing.

Okiediddalydokie. Here's a hint: It has nothing to do with installation or oiling and EVERYTHING to do with pore sizes up to 100 microns.
wink.gif
Search around and see what a K&N looks lie under a microscope. Heell, hold one up to a light. Common snese question: when you see pure light coming through a filter medium (oiled or not), especially on a turbo application where the velocity coming though it is very high, you'd think a lot of craap would get through, wouldn't ya???
dunno.gif

Quote:

Funny how the
stooges.gif

knoil.jpg

that's kind of interesting how K&N themselves tell you to add more oil anyways if you live in a dusty region.

All four of mine have had K&N in them for years. No MAF problems or any other problems and I am talking about over 200,000 miles total. I believe I paid about 35.00 for the one in the van once versus 22.00 or whatever you guys like to pay each time you replace yours.

Quote:

People seeing anything behind the filter is because of too much oil, the oil gets on the surface and dust will stick to it. With your paper filter there is no oil for the dust to stick to.

While a skeptic I wouldn't classify myself as a critic of K&N, but I find no end to the amusement that the K&N apologists provide. If K&N's don't work well of course it's the users' fault. Paper elements seem much more straight forward, not requiring perfect oiling and oiling intervals to filter well, giving flow near or equal to the K&N.

I feel that if there were some merits to this technology one would see more of it in an OEM context, where paper seems to be predominant.

K&N supplies the filter wraps with air filters for Honda ST1100 motorcycles. Everyone on a forum I visit said the bikes ran bad with them and the solution was to remove them. But then it lets the dust in. I've heard K&N is supposed to have a new dry filter line. Anybody hear about them or use them yet?

Quote:

Quote:

Funny how the
stooges.gif

.... is very high, you'd think a lot of craap would get through, wouldn't ya???
dunno.gif

Drooling99GeeTard: Congratulations on joining the
stooges.gif
club, and thanks for self-identifying!

You'd think a little common sense would get through to some people, but then again...
bop.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back