My new tire buying method is working well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating tire quality based on what the tread looks like or "It's a 50,000 mile tire" is too simplistic. Tires sold in the US are required to have a number and two letters on the sidewall, which isn't much but it has always told me something.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
I don't really see the value in junk tires when you can buy a quality tire like a General, Kumho, Uniroyal or Kelly tire for what, $10 more a tire in a common sedan size? Or purchase them on rebate or whatever.

I've got 50k+ out of my General Altimax RTs (old model) and they are still providing excellent traction in the rain with 4.5/32nds on them. If I recall they were only $10-15 more expensive then the bottom barrel tires and still $50-$60 cheaper then Michelins. I bet I could get another 15k out of them but will likely replace before that. Not bad for $80 tires.

Good points but the markup on store brand tires is better so for someone just wandering in needing a tire in stock, that day, that's what they get.

Us mail-order tire gents are a cut more sophisticated.
19.gif

I don't really see the value in junk tires when you can buy a quality tire like a General, Kumho, Uniroyal or Kelly tire for what, $10 more a tire in a common sedan size? Or purchase them on rebate or whatever.

I've got 50k+ out of my General Altimax RTs (old model) and they are still providing excellent traction in the rain with 4.5/32nds on them. If I recall they were only $10-15 more expensive then the bottom barrel tires and still $50-$60 cheaper then Michelins. I bet I could get another 15k out of them but will likely replace before that. Not bad for $80 tires.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Good points but the markup on store brand tires is better so for someone just wandering in needing a tire in stock, that day, that's what they get.

19.gif

If you don't have Discount Tire then mail-order is a option.

I have America's Tire(DT elsewhere) nearby and they do price match online. I can get lowest price plus outstanding services(free balance/rotation + free flat repair + easy mileage claim) then why bother mail-order for saving few bucks in installation ?

Even if you do have Discount Tire (America's Tire) as an option, I'd still say that mail-order is an option.

Discount Tire Direct, for example, offers more tires, at a better price, than the brick-and-mortar Discount tire that's only a mile from my house. What's more, I can take the tires in to the DT near me, and they'll mount them for $15 per corner.

I ordered the Cooper RS3-A tires that are on my car now from DT Direct, and had them sitting on my front stoop the very next day, and it was free delivery. Once I was ready to take them in to have them mounted, I just set up a time with the DT down the road and they were mounted very quickly. Sure, it helps that I have built a good working relationship with a few guys down at the DT, but that really shouldn't matter.

What matters is I got a tire that the DT down the road doesn't normally stock, at an amazing price. Even the ones that the DT does stock were all cheaper on DT Direct.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Once a soldier always a soldier.

Gotcha!
thumbsup2.gif

Cheaper tires can be ok as long as you choose wisely. Internet reviews are a good first step.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I have America's Tire(DT elsewhere) nearby and they do price match online. I can get lowest price plus outstanding services(free balance/rotation + free flat repair + easy mileage claim) then why bother mail-order for saving few bucks in installation ?

Our local Tire Kingdom matches prices online, too. The Manager is very competitive and eager, so I quit buying from DTD.

BTW, DTD was always excellent to deal with...

IMO, buying cheap tires or buying tires based on how long they last is downright stupid. You buy a tire based on how it will perform (grip, etc.). If it happens to be cheap or last well, cool. Otherwise, I don't want it anywhere near my vehicles.

I've had a couple incidents where if I were on anything less grippy than a semi-sticky summer tire, I wouldn't have been able to avoid an accident.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
IMO, buying cheap tires or buying tires based on how long they last is downright stupid. You buy a tire based on how it will perform (grip, etc.). If it happens to be cheap or last well, cool. Otherwise, I don't want it anywhere near my vehicles.

I've had a couple incidents where if I were on anything less grippy than a semi-sticky summer tire, I wouldn't have been able to avoid an accident.

I agree 100%. Tires are like motorcycle or racing helmets- they are much too important to scrimp on- as the old adage says, if you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet.

Considering the AMAZING improvements over regular all season tires I can't imagine why more folks don't run summer rubber in the climates that permit it. Some of the immediate benefits on my sig car are reduced tire noise, unbelievable stopping, better wet road grip, they even ride better on rough pavement....

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Considering the AMAZING improvements over regular all season tires I can't imagine why more folks don't run summer rubber in the climates that permit it. Some of the immediate benefits on my sig car are reduced tire noise, unbelievable stopping, better wet road grip, they even ride better on rough pavement....

I'd need three sets of tires. Summer, spring/fall, winter. I guess if they all wore out at about the same amount it'd be the same cost per mile; but still, I'd have to store two sets of wheels at any given time.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I'd need three sets of tires. Summer, spring/fall, winter. I guess if they all wore out at about the same amount it'd be the same cost per mile; but still, I'd have to store two sets of wheels at any given time.

I usually keep my summers on until it starts dipping below freezing overnight in the fall or there's a risk of snow, then swap to the snows. In the spring, once it stops getting below freezing, the summers go back on. Every once in a while, I have to swap back for a late snowstorm in the spring, but swapping for a week isn't a big deal.

I've only wished for an intermediate set a couple times, so not having one isn't much of an issue.

By the time it's cold enough for the summers to start getting unhappy, it's cold enough to not melt the snows quickly. I just drive extra gently when we get those couple of random warm days while I've got the snows on.

Last edited:
I ran the comp2's in 0C and rain a few mornings this spring and they still were miles better than the old 3 season starfires. We also had a few mornings of -4,-5C and they worked fine for that too. No actual snow though, and I'm sure they would be terrible on ice, but probably no worse than hardened up 3 season tires...
I think the newer decent ice tires handle warmer weather highway running pretty well anyways as they have lots of rubber on the road, so its not a problem if I put them on a bit earlier.

Be aware, running summer tires too far below freezing can actually crack and damage the rubber as it gets too hard and can't flex. The exact point where this happens varies between tires, but I tend to say right around freezing is the lowest safe temp for an average summer tire.

Be aware, running summer tires too far below freezing can actually crack and damage the rubber as it gets too hard and can't flex. The exact point where this happens varies between tires, but I tend to say right around freezing is the lowest safe temp for an average summer tire.

Good point! I didn't think of that, but I kind of assume that comp2's aren't as sensitive as true high performance tire. Some of them can't even be exposed to freezing temps at any point, even in storage/shipping, or they will develop cracks when used again in the summer...
I'll contact BFG and find out.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

19.gif

Wandering in a tire store is just so old school.
The morning that I had a bad experience with a road hazard that took out one of the OEM Dunlops on my Accord, all it took was a trip to Walmart.com to have an exact replacement shipped to the Walmart of my choice within 3 hours for $79.00. which was $8.00 more than one of their no-name tires.
The local Goodyear wanted $130.00, plus 3 days to get the tire in.
Stopped on the way home, they put it on. Easy Peasy.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Good point! I didn't think of that, but I kind of assume that comp2's aren't as sensitive as true high performance tire. Some of them can't even be exposed to freezing temps at any point, even in storage/shipping, or they will develop cracks when used again in the summer...
I'll contact BFG and find out.

Well the BFG/Michelin rep tells me that -7C(20F) is the cut off for their UHP tires. I was close to that temp a couple times so I'll have to be more careful in the fall.
Quote:
To answer your question about the temperature, at tire temperatures below 20°F (-7°C) Michelin UHP Sport Summer tires may develop surface cracks in the upper sidewall and tread area if flexed. Do not use, roll, or drop MICHELIN UHP Sport Summer tires with temperatures below 20°F (-7°C). If the tires have been cooled to 20°F (-7°C) or less, let them warm up in a heated space to at least 40°F (5°C) before being installed or moving a vehicle on which they are installed. Do not apply heat or blow heated air directly on the tires. Always inspect tires before use. Never use a tire with freeze cracks, breaks, or damage to the sidewall or tread.

I read someone posted the low temp cut off for UHP summer tire is around 40F, his car was sliding on over the street when temp was 38-40F.

I think we should be able to use summer tire year round here in So Cal, I don't think we ever had below 40F from 7-8AM till midnight the last 15-20 years. Around 40F or a little lower from midnight till 5-6 AM did happen few nights a winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back