My new car has arrived!

Today is a popular electric car charging day here at work, I took the last spot available.
What will it look like in a few more years, if gas stays high, and the [blue lawmakers] get a fresh EV tax credit in place? It will be Tesla City everywhere! I suppose they could add more chargers as demand grows or you might have to show up first to get a work charge.

Your car looks awesome w/o the wheel covers btw.

What will it look like in a few more years, if gas stays high, and the [blue lawmakers] get a fresh EV tax credit in place? It will be Tesla City everywhere! I suppose they could add more chargers as demand grows or you might have to show up first to get a work charge.

Your car looks awesome w/o the wheel covers btw.
I’ve already asked if they’d add more outlets at work and they said the panel is at capacity, so it’s all we’re getting.

If there’s more electric cars at work, then I’ll just charge at home if I’m not able to get a spot. I’m not too worried.

I am still assessing, I will write up a review of the car soon-ish once I get some more miles on it.

I have one minor rattle in the left rear door panel so far, but other than that everything seems tight and fitting pretty well.
Thanks! looking forward to reading it.

How does it compare to the Genesis?

Thanks! looking forward to reading it.

How does it compare to the Genesis?
The Genesis was a lot nicer driving car, smooth, comfortable, long distance pavement queen.

But this one makes up for it with the tech and entertainment. It plays ice cream truck music outside while driving!

Generally, charging at work, malls, etc. have time limits. You get dinged if you leave your car too long after charging is complete.
@Nick1994 , don't be too disappointed if you find a flaw or two. People usually don't buy Teslas for their fit and finish. Ha!
Go merge onto a freeway and watch all the other cars appear to stand still... That "Tesla smile" never grows old.

The Genesis was a lot nicer driving car, smooth, comfortable, long distance pavement queen.

But this one makes up for it with the tech and entertainment. It plays ice cream truck music outside while driving!

Careful...

OIP.a5Qzj-jEQ1VbegIqfNF0dgHaEK.jpg

Congratulations, that is a nice car! Last Nov, we went out to Scottsdale AZ to visit an old college friend and he has a Tesla and it was my first ride in one and the acceleration was insane. Way stronger than my Mustang GT. His is not the S model but one of the cheaper versions.

Sweet car. As an electrical engineer who designs power systems for a living I’m still not sure how EV charging will work en masse other than at future “charging stations” like current gas stations. Most parking garages have very limited power for elevators and lighting and most parking garage builders/owners are not looking to spend more $$ other than have a few EV stations to “look green.” I guess future garages may just charge a fee to charge your car? Retrofitting garages in the future is going to be interesting…

I envision very large electrical services to future “charging stations” where you drive up and wait 10-20 minutes while the vehicle fast charges at something like 480volts or higher. I think some of the Tier 3 fast chargers use up to 400kW which just boggles my mind. That’s an incredible electrical load for a single vehicle. To put into perspective a 20 story high-rise office building during average demand load may be somewhere around 2500-3000kW.

If we move to EVs over the next 10-20 years we may want to start upgrading our electrical grids lol.

Last edited:
Sweet car. As an electrical engineer who designs power systems for a living I’m still not sure how EV charging will work en masse other than at future “charging stations” like current gas stations. Most parking garages have very limited power for elevators and lighting and most parking garage builders/owners are not looking to spend more $$ other than have a few EV stations to “look green.” I guess future garages may just charge a fee to charge your car? Retrofitting garages in the future is going to be interesting…

I envision very large electrical services to future “charging stations” where you drive up and wait 10-20 minutes while the vehicle fast charges at something like 480volts or higher. I think some of the Tier 3 fast chargers use up to 400kW which just boggles my mind. That’s an incredible electrical load for a single vehicle. To put into perspective a 20 story high-rise office building during average demand load may be somewhere around 2500-3000kW.

If we move to EVs over the next 10-20 years we may want to start upgrading our electrical grids lol.
Well like anything, the owners would just pay to upgrade their service and run new wires. That's basically the cost of infrastructure upgrades to handle higher electrical demands. Probably a few thousand dollars per new outlet.

Well like anything, the owners would just pay to upgrade their service and run new wires. That's basically the cost of infrastructure upgrades to handle higher electrical demands. Probably a few thousand dollars per new outlet.
The bigger problem is the service panel. Older houses tend to have the smaller service panels, as small as 60A I believe. Our 1962 house was an electrical nightmare. We rewired it and had a 200A panel installed during a remodel. Came in handy when we ran the #6 copper wire and NEMA 14-50 into the garage.

The bigger problem is the service panel. Older houses tend to have the smaller service panels, as small as 60A I believe. Our 1962 house was an electrical nightmare. We rewired it and had a 200A panel installed during a remodel. Came in handy when we ran the #6 copper wire and NEMA 14-50 into the garage.
Yeah, that's the few thousand dollars I was talking about. The cost of a new panel is anywhere from 1-2k depending on how much the electricians want to charge for labor. It might be something like water heaters where it should only be a few hundred for a couple hours of works, but maybe they want thousands as it's their bread and butter. Then it's a few hundred to run a new line. But that's probably just for one or two outlets, could be lots more if you want several.

The real cost might be back at the electric company to increase output to account for future demand.

Yeah, that's the few thousand dollars I was talking about. The cost of a new panel is anywhere from 1-2k depending on how much the electricians want to charge for labor. It might be something like water heaters where it should only be a few hundred for a couple hours of works, but maybe they want thousands as it's their bread and butter. Then it's a few hundred to run a new line. But that's probably just for one or two outlets, could be lots more if you want several.

The real cost might be back at the electric company to increase output to account for future demand.
Around here you have to get a permit and get is signed off before PG&E will do the drop to the new panel. It ain't cheap. I forget what I paid; a close friend did the work; he is a senior electrician.

Poles and wires, substations, transformers....etc will all need to be upgraded, it's not just the on-prem services. It's like when ISP's started doing FTTH, all the backhauls needed to be upgraded, except it's a much more expensive proposition with the electricity system.

Back