My new car has arrived!

Poles and wires, substations, transformers....etc will all need to be upgraded, it's not just the on-prem services. It's like when ISP's started doing FTTH, all the backhauls needed to be upgraded, except it's a much more expensive proposition with the electricity system.

Therein lies the problem: try upgrading your residence to anything more than 200A service and you'll be in for a surprise. Not going to happen. It also won't support L3 charging any time soon, the underlying infrastructure just can't support it.

When I bought my Volt, I knew that my detached garage had a 220V line running to it, based on the paired 20A breaker feeding from the main panel in the house. The garage itself had no 220V outlets installed. I called in an electrician for a bid, who during his visit basically told me that as long as I didn't install larger than a 15-30(?) outlet, I would be fine. The max my Volt can draw is 3.6kW, well within the 15% margin of safety on a 20A circuit. I installed the outlet, and marked directly on the drywall that the outlet had a 15A max capacity.

Your analogy using fiber is no different. I recently switched to CenturyLink fiber, luckily I have a node a block from my house so I get darn near the true advertised speeds of 940/940. However, there are very few overall residences in my city that have access to such a connection even though they push the service CONSTANTLY.

Back