My Jeep is getting up there

Bought it brand new June 2002. Around here wranglers are mostly weekend toys. Don't see any with 100k or more on them.

It's had small issues. Suspension parts,universal joints,a throttle position sensor every 36k.

Fuel pump,o2 sensors and a water pump were replaced before they failed.

Always has ran hot. Does not seem to hurt it.

It has never left me walking.

It's last repair was a clutch. I am very easy on clutches. I don't ride it or do anything that would cause premature wear.

At about 175k the clutch throw out bearing got noisey. I immediately pulled the transmission and was expecting to just do that bearing.

I looked closer and found several of the springs in the clutch disc were broken. I replaced the whole clutch. Did not turn the flywheel as it can't be turned by conventional methods.

The trans is a little noisey in 5th gear.

The engine still runs well but does seem to be down on power a little. Maybe a loose timing chain,worn cam,worn rings? All 3?

It's had all kinds of oil ran in it and a kinds of weights. It seems to run best on straight sae30.

My biggest gripe is the peeling paint. All of our cars have peeling paint.

Attachments

• IMG_20210525_182047540.jpg
    IMG_20210525_182047540.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 111
It's possible the timing chain is worn. I worked on another 4.0 with 195000 miles and I probably would have been able to make it jump a tooth with pencil or something. Extremely stretched! MY 2000 was really down on power for a while. I had just assumed that 210000 miles had taken its toll. Then I had to replace the fuel pressure regulator because it had a mishap on a trail ride. I swear the thing got 50 horsepower back!

I've had a few Jeeps with the NV3500s - I can't think of a more noisey modern manual transmission than those.

It's possible the timing chain is worn. I worked on another 4.0 with 195000 miles and I probably would have been able to make it jump a tooth with pencil or something. Extremely stretched! MY 2000 was really down on power for a while. I had just assumed that 210000 miles had taken its toll. Then I had to replace the fuel pressure regulator because it had a mishap on a trail ride. I swear the thing got 50 horsepower back!

I've had a few Jeeps with the NV3500s - I can't think of a more noisey modern manual transmission than those.
Mine did not get noisey untill about 50 k ago. My fuel pressure is good. 49 psi per spec. I may look into the chain. At least pull the cam sensor and turn the crank and see how far it moves before the cam sensor moves.

The chain could be stretched, mine had to be replaced at around 130k miles because it set a misfire CEL, although it ran fine before and after.

Maybe send the injectors to Trav to get them cleaned out and redone? What I did was buy used 4 hole injectors on eBay and had them shipped straight to him to re-do.

My paint is peeling too, a couple small spots on the hood, little spots on the tops of the fenders, and a big spot on the roof. One day I'll have it completely stripped and painted.

I don't agree with your reasoning to originally just change a throw bearing by itself. If I was going to pull the trans., I would be installing a new clutch kit. Good thing the springs were broken so you had to do the job the right way.

At your mileage, I would bet the timing chain and sprockets are worn out.

Bought it brand new June 2002. Around here wranglers are mostly weekend toys. Don't see any with 100k or more on them.

It's had small issues. Suspension parts,universal joints,a throttle position sensor every 36k.

Fuel pump,o2 sensors and a water pump were replaced before they failed.

Always has ran hot. Does not seem to hurt it.

It has never left me walking.

It's last repair was a clutch. I am very easy on clutches. I don't ride it or do anything that would cause premature wear.

At about 175k the clutch throw out bearing got noisey. I immediately pulled the transmission and was expecting to just do that bearing.

I looked closer and found several of the springs in the clutch disc were broken. I replaced the whole clutch. Did not turn the flywheel as it can't be turned by conventional methods.

The trans is a little noisey in 5th gear.

The engine still runs well but does seem to be down on power a little. Maybe a loose timing chain,worn cam,worn rings? All 3?

It's had all kinds of oil ran in it and a kinds of weights. It seems to run best on straight sae30.

My biggest gripe is the peeling paint. All of our cars have peeling paint.
Is this an engine likely to get the 4.0 engine cracked piston skirts? Or the #331 cracked head?

I'd be happy to take it off your hands.....LOL Everything around here is rotted and people want a million bucks for 'em.

Miller is right on the NV3500. I remember wheeling with some folks in my club when it replaced the AX15. In neutral with the engine running, it sounded like a box O' rocks. it made my Jeep's Muncie dump truck tranny seem quiet!

BTW, I liked running SAE30 in my YJ. I have a bunch of Delo 15W30 I want to try. I'm building a new Ford 9" rear, so I'll have to wait until it's mobile again.

I don't agree with your reasoning to originally just change a throw bearing by itself. If I was going to pull the trans., I would be installing a new clutch kit. Good thing the springs were broken so you had to do the job the right way.

At your mileage, I would bet the timing chain and sprockets are worn out.
Sometimes my frugelness bites me. There was almost no wear on the clutch friction area. I was able to use a 2 post lift and a borrowed transmission jack. Easiest clutch I have ever replaced. Total time was 3 hr 15 min.

I'd be happy to take it off your hands.....LOL Everything around here is rotted and people want a million bucks for 'em.

Miller is right on the NV3500. I remember wheeling with some folks in my club when it replaced the AX15. In neutral with the engine running, it sounded like a box O' rocks. it made my Jeep's Muncie dump truck tranny seem quiet!

BTW, I liked running SAE30 in my YJ. I have a bunch of Delo 15W30 I want to try. I'm building a new Ford 9" rear, so I'll have to wait until it's mobile again.
The trans is noisey going down the road. Ok sitting still so it has a worn bearing somewhere. No rust here in the desert. Still has its original muffler,tailpipe etc.

Attachments

• IMG_20210526_053801560.jpg
    IMG_20210526_053801560.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 31
The wear causes the wobble which causes the piston skirts to crack,. So as time goes on, more chance of the damage occurring.
The engine we put in my old bosses 89 was a 2000 model year. That was the worst for head cracks. I figured that if it has not cracked yet it's not going to. It has about 190 k on it now. Ok so far. Neither mine or his sounds like a Diesel when idling. I have heard some noisey 4.0's!

No rust here in the desert. Still has its original muffler,tailpipe etc.
I know, awesome! My buddy buys bodies and frames from your neck of the woods and brings them back to Mass.

I picked up a spot free frame for my '92 for only a grand. He gave me a great deal as they easily sell for $1500 - $2000+.

If I could get a 2.5L powered Wrangler again I'd probably try to get either a 465 or 420 in it. That crazy granny gear would be awesome for rock crawling!

If I could get a 2.5L powered Wrangler again I'd probably try to get either a 465 or 420 in it. That crazy granny gear would be awesome for rock crawling!
It is pretty awesome. I barely touched the gas during my last Moab trip. The only time I did was climbing Potato Salad hill on the tough side. I gave it some East Coast love.

The SM420 gives me a low range ratio of 151.7:1 with my 4:1 case and 5.38's. I can walk faster.

Sometimes my frugelness bites me. There was almost no wear on the clutch friction area. I was able to use a 2 post lift and a borrowed transmission jack. Easiest clutch I have ever replaced. Total time was 3 hr 15 min.
I resemble that. DIY and DIYA (again, the sequel 😷)

Back