My hybrid bike

Nothing special but near maintenance-free. It used to be my son's bike. It has an old style threaded fork. I put a threadless stem and a BMX handlebar on it for a more upright seating position. It has 27.5" wheels and a whisper-quiet internally geared 8-speed Shimano Nexus hub and mystery Shimano hydraulic brakes that work fine stopping a combined weight of 245 pounds going downhill. If anybody can tell me what model those brakes are that would be helpful. The bike is a few years old. I use it now a few times a week for short rides, usually 7-15 miles. I might get a surfboard carrier for it but I'm not sure I want to ride 2 miles uphill when going home from the beach.

The seat is usually a few inches higher. I let someone shorter ride just before I took those pictures.

The brakes are apparently BL315, which makes them part of the Altus series. Near bottom of the barrel gear but seems okay.

Nice. I have been wanting an IGH for a while now, it would be better for dirt roads.

Nothing special but near maintenance-free. It used to be my son's bike. It has an old style threaded fork. I put a threadless stem and a BMX handlebar on it for a more upright seating position. It has 27.5" wheels and a whisper-quiet internally geared 8-speed Shimano Nexus hub and mystery Shimano hydraulic brakes that work fine stopping a combined weight of 245 pounds going downhill. If anybody can tell me what model those brakes are that would be helpful. The bike is a few years old. I use it now a few times a week for short rides, usually 7-15 miles. I might get a surfboard carrier for it but I'm not sure I want to ride 2 miles uphill when going home from the beach.

The seat is usually a few inches higher. I let someone shorter ride just before I took those pictures.

I like the bmx handle bars, whatever gets the riding position you want.

Nice. I have been wanting an IGH for a while now, it would be better for dirt roads.
The hub itself is maintenance-free for years. Shifter adjustment is via an adjuster on the shifter handle and an indicator on the side of the hub. That leaves the chain and sprockets as the only regular maintenance items.

Pinion drive in combination with belt drive is very durable and near maintenance-free but very costly.

You can try waxing your chain

This fellow has me convinced its a good idea but I haven't had the time to try it. Simple paraffin wax is pretty cheap and is supposed to work well.

Back