My first run of Mobil1 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
With this "low mileage" motor, Ive run a very short OCI of PYB because of an odd solvent smell in the bottom end.

I then ran Mobil1 0w40 for 4k miles.

My reason for changing, the oil went from like new to pitch black in the last 500 miles. Some will say that doesnt matter, Id say that 22$ doesnt matter in relation to a 1500$ motor.

Upon draining, the oil in the filter was thick, very thick compared to normal 0w40.

I drained for over an hour then dumped a new fill in with a new denso filter.

Last night I chanced upon some Mobil1 15w50 for very cheap. While well within spec for this motor in this climate (20w50) is the rec. I chose to mix it 50/50 with 0w40.

Just curious as to the additive packages of the oils, and what sort of weight Ill end up with given the sheering issues with 0w40.

Also, when I pulled the valve cover on the motor before the install, the top end was quite dirty, very dark dark brown. No sludge, but dark. Any idea of how many oil changes I should expect before I can push it out to 7500 indicated 8300 actual.

Please dont suggest solvents in the motor. Or an oil analysis. Paying people to guess based on a few numbers isnt my idea of a wise expenditure.

Not when you fine people tend to guess just as accurately...and for free lol.

Also...the mix definitely reduced engine noise a bunch over the 0w40.

After the oil change I went for an hour drive in the woods, low gear, 4 low, high load pushing small trees out of the way and going OVER larger trees. Had the AC running the whole time and I never even notices a blip on the temp gauge.

Impressive given the trans uses the lower radiator to run fluid through and it was DEFINITELY warm.

Currently running supertech in the trans, think I may go to valvoline in a mercon V flavor.

Seems to me you're running a 7.5W45 with that mix.
49.gif

Given the condition you said the upper is in, it might be safe to say the entire engine is that way.

Since the oil in the filter was much heavier than what was in it, it appears there could be some sludge (or pre sludge, is that a term?) in the engine. I'd stick with maybe a shorter interval for 2-3 more changes, and use an oil with good cleaning capabilities to be sure.

I'm sure a UOA won't show anything other than the oil being in good condition at that distance, so yup that would be a waste of money...it's the inside of your engine that has an issue, not the oil you're putting in.

Whats odd is that when I pulled the pan, it looked great down low. These things are actually much warmer up top than down low. Just the nature of the design.

I'm due to do another valve service in 25k. Guess Ill see what it looks like then.

Blending 0W40 and 15W50 together 50/50 will give you 5W40, 10W40, 5W50 or 10W50. My guess without looking up the specs and using an ASTM blending chart is a 5W40 with a 100C viscosity of about 16.2 Cst. Mobil-1 oils pass the Winter tests so well it almost puts them one "W" lower than the label specifies. Also the "0" winter classification is open ended at the bottom.

I've mixed up a similar brew, due to Mobil 1, 15w-50, being on clearance at Kmart for $3 a quart. My mixed brew was 4 quarts of M1 5w-20, EP and 2 quarts of M1 15w-50 with a K&N over-sized filter. I ran that blended mil for 8.5K, since there were a lot of short trips during the 8 months used.

Engine ran fine and quiet....both oils state that they are for "Extended Performance" even though the M1 15w-50 is in a regular gray bottle without the Gold Cap.

I still have quite a few quarts of the M1, 15w-50 clearance oil that I'll continue to blend with M1, 0w-20 up to 10w-30 in different proportions.

Your M1 blend sounds like a winner.....All M1 oils are compatible with each other....so blend away.

If your car specs 20W50,I`d just go with a whole fill of M1 15W50. It seems to be a really good match for your engine.

Only reason I didnt, these motors are sensitive to thicker oil from an mpg standpoint.

Hopefully this tank stays fairly close to average.

Maybe try a HD diesel oil and run them short intervals. These oils are strong cleaners and cheaper than the Mobil 1. Run a few then go to your M1 with extended drains.

Mobil M-1 15W50 is an oil I'm going to try out in my 2011 Duramax sooner or later.
If any of the major commercial Diesel engine manufactures specified 15W50 as an optional viscosity grade, I wouldn't doubt that the M-1 would pass the certifications without or few changes to its formula.
There can only be so many ways to formulate a lubricant.
How different can the formula of a top of the line product from a major supplier be from the other resulting in a measurable performance advantage?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back