My experience using BG Syncro Shift II in a VW 012 longitudinal transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by MolaKule
A "stout" MTF will be the correct viscosity, have the proper friction modification chemistry, and contain an Anti-Wear component, regardless of base oil mixture. MTF's do not contain EP additives.

Out of curioisty as until I started paying attention to your posts a few months back I didn't realise there was a difference between gear oils and manual transmission oils, I thought GL-4 was for MT's and GL-5's were for transfer boxes and differentials.

Why would Fuchs Sintofluid 75w80, a manual transmission fluid carry GL-5? I always assumed you needed the EP additives in order to have the GL-5 specification? I have considered using this oil as a one-size-fits-all in MT's, transfer boxes and differentials.

A "stout" MTF will be the correct viscosity, have the proper friction modification chemistry, and contain an Anti-Wear component, regardless of base oil mixture. MTF's do not contain EP additives.

Agree and thanks for the clarification.

I presume having an additional healthy dose of PAO makes it potentially the "la crème de la crème" :)

Originally Posted by Bailes1992

Out of curioisty as until I started paying attention to your posts a few months back I didn't realise there was a difference between gear oils and manual transmission oils, I thought GL-4 was for MT's and GL-5's were for transfer boxes and differentials.

Why would Fuchs Sintofluid 75w80, a manual transmission fluid carry GL-5? I always assumed you needed the EP additives in order to have the GL-5 specification? I have considered using this oil as a one-size-fits-all in MT's, transfer boxes and differentials.

You could ask Fuch's but I suspect their level and type of Anti-Wear additives qualifies it for GL-5 in testing. This raises a question as to what industry standards they tested this fluid to quality it as a GL-5.

If you do contact Fuch's, ask them about this statement in their advertising:
Prevents reliably from wear, sludge formation,agglomeration and corrosion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back