my engine sounds like a sewing machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
But seriously - the sewing machine sound often comes from the pulleys or belt tensioner. Check those out - the injectors are a ticking sound - not sewing sound.

After cranking up that yotoob video, I must say thou my wifey's 2AZ-FE sounds exactly the same.

Coincidence? No. Sounds familiar? Well yeah!

Am I worried about it? Nope. Do I care? Not unless it's burning oil.

Bottomline: it's definitely not as quiet as many other ultra-luxury high-end cars out in the market but then again, it's quieter than my neighbour's cavalier, tempo and Ford arostar combined... *grin*

Q.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Oh guys ease up - We all know that the American bashers are more vocal and always ruin the treads first. I just had to help even things out here. I'd take a piston slapper over a sewing machine anyday PT1.

Where were you 5 months ago?
grin2.gif

But seriously - the sewing machine sound often comes from the pulleys or belt tensioner. Check those out - the injectors are a ticking sound - not sewing sound.

+1 the primary drive chain will make a sewing machine sound as well.

Japanese cars have sewing machine engines, so it sounds that way

27.gif

Now now, a set of roller rockers on a pushrod V8 will also make the same sound
grin2.gif

Worn out timing belt & tensioners did this to my little toyota BIG TIME. So much quieter when replaced, but ya, it still has that "sewing machine" sound.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Well after spending $100k for 2 GM piston slappers I am qualified to make that remark from experience.
smirk2.gif

Well after driving a GM "piston slapper" to 194K miles and selling it in perfect running condition, burning no oil and pulling as hard as the day it was new, I'm qualified to criticize your comment. In fact, I'm deeply sorry I ever sold that "piston slapper."

Originally Posted By: PT1
Japanese cars have sewing machine engines, so it sounds that way

27.gif

Yes, they do...and most of them keep sewing for 2-300k without issue unlike their GM piston slapper competitors...
LOL.gif

My piston slapper is running just fine with 200,000 miles on and it shows no sign of stopping anytime soon.

Originally Posted By: lt2000
crinkles
if you were older you might have known what the sound was
gary

what was the high pitched squeal? a pump somewhere? i don't know much...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back