My Echo PB 251 is broken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had to rant a little.... I have an Echo PB 251 leaf blower, bought new 2 years ago. I went to start it up yesterday and it won't start. When I pull the cord, it's hard to pull and makes a weird clanking noise. I pull it a second time, and it gets stuck and won't turn over at all. I took the starter assembly off and there is nothing wrong with it. I can turn the engine over slowly by hand too. So I reintsall the starter and I still have the same problem. If I take the spark plug off, it cranks over perfectly. As soon as I put the plug back in....clank, clank, clank.
confused2.gif
I'm thinking it's an internal engine problem. I would tear it down for a full investigation and fix it myself, but since it's still under warranty and I'm way too busy, I'm taking it to the dealer and letting them deal with it. It's kind of disappointing that I bought a quality machine (and sworn off Craftsman machines forever) so I wouldn't have to do deal with this stuff anymore and this still happened.

Good idea to let dealer deal with it. Even if you tear it down, there are parts. And tearing it down could void the warranty. Did you lend it to the good ole neighbor?

Nope, never lent it to anybody the entire time I've had it. Always used Stihl Ultra full synthetic 2-stroke oil, mixed at a perfect 50:1 ratio with 89 octane gas (why Echo specifically says to use 89 octane, I'll never know). I always did everything by the book since Day 1.

I had a house in Kirkland that had pine needles everywhere... It was 2 story and would get needles over the garage something fierce. Then leave a black muck in all the eaves troughs.

The ECHO was amazing... made the whole lawn, roof, driveway, walk etc. make the house look like new. I loved that thing!!

I think what the key is is before storage you need to have your last tank with fuel stabilizer in it, and run it completely empty and store in the basement rather than in the garage.

It started in the spring like brand new. The variable temps in a garage if unheated might cause condensation in the engine, and with no stabilizer in it the fuel varnishes up maybe.

Some people even pull out the plug and put some 2 stroke oil in it and gently pull the cord to circulate it, then put the plug back in.

We had a kid and sold the house because we couldn't get a daycare spot, and the buyer wanted that blower... NO WAY, I still have it at my parents place. I kept a STIHL whipper snipper that if you don't know it's female side you will never get it started. The ECHO, one lame pull of the cord and it starts.

I do let it really warm up before I use it too especially in the fall when blowing leaves on the lawn... That blower made yard work so easy... Hope you get it working again!!

Leave some properly mixed echo oil gas mix in the tank. Do not give them a reason to void the warranty saying you used improper oil : fuel mix.

I'm betting that the starter pawls *looked* good but aren't holding tightly enough to rotate the engine against compression. If Echo has a weak spot, its the goofy plastic starter pawls. I just replaced the pawls, springs, and cup assembly (they sell it as a kit) for about $15 including shipping.

Fordiesel, I agree with the oil... I got my ECHO at Home Depot down St. John's and bought those little bottles of 2 stroke premix oil that was synthetic ECHO, that is all I used 50:1.

I think 50:1 was for environmental reasons... I wouldn't hesitate to try 40:1 to give a bit more oil in the mix.

Originally Posted By: Falken
I had a house in Kirkland that had pine needles everywhere... It was 2 story and would get needles over the garage something fierce. Then leave a black muck in all the eaves troughs.

The ECHO was amazing... made the whole lawn, roof, driveway, walk etc. make the house look like new. I loved that thing!!

I think what the key is is before storage you need to have your last tank with fuel stabilizer in it, and run it completely empty and store in the basement rather than in the garage.

It started in the spring like brand new. The variable temps in a garage if unheated might cause condensation in the engine, and with no stabilizer in it the fuel varnishes up maybe.

Some people even pull out the plug and put some 2 stroke oil in it and gently pull the cord to circulate it, then put the plug back in.

We had a kid and sold the house because we couldn't get a daycare spot, and the buyer wanted that blower... NO WAY, I still have it at my parents place. I kept a STIHL whipper snipper that if you don't know it's female side you will never get it started. The ECHO, one lame pull of the cord and it starts.

I do let it really warm up before I use it too especially in the fall when blowing leaves on the lawn... That blower made yard work so easy... Hope you get it working again!!

Almost all 2 cycle oil for air cooled engines has stabilizer if you read the fine print. I agree with others to use the premix if you don't use more than a QT or two/yr. The premix at HD is under $6.00/QT. Time spent fixing/fooling OPE is worth something and the premix seems a way to cut down on it.

I would like the 2 cycle oil to include mouse repellent.

This is not a fuel or storage issue. I use the blower almost year-round, except in the winter. I use it once a week to blow grass clippings off the driveway and sidewalk after I mow the lawn. It worked just fine last week. Then yesterday, I try to start it, and I get this problem.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Time to see how good that 5-year consumer warranty is.

Assuming the dealer is good, Echo should take care of him.

Usually with internal engine problems, Echo replaces the entire unit. It very well could just be something off with the starter though.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Just had to rant a little.... I have an Echo PB 251 leaf blower, bought new 2 years ago. I went to start it up yesterday and it won't start. When I pull the cord, it's hard to pull and makes a weird clanking noise. I pull it a second time, and it gets stuck and won't turn over at all. I took the starter assembly off and there is nothing wrong with it. I can turn the engine over slowly by hand too. So I reintsall the starter and I still have the same problem. If I take the spark plug off, it cranks over perfectly. As soon as I put the plug back in....clank, clank, clank.
confused2.gif
I'm thinking it's an internal engine problem. I would tear it down for a full investigation and fix it myself, but since it's still under warranty and I'm way too busy, I'm taking it to the dealer and letting them deal with it. It's kind of disappointing that I bought a quality machine (and sworn off Craftsman machines forever) so I wouldn't have to do deal with this stuff anymore and this still happened.

I'll say it again, the starter pawls *look* fine, but they're slipping under the load of compression. If it had an internal engine problem, it wouldn't turn over smoothly even with the plug out.

I just dropped it off at the dealer. They said it'll be about 7-10 days till it's ready. Ugghhh....NOT what I wanted to hear. I'm too impatient and I need to use it next week.
mad.gif
I guess I'll have to wait...

The dealer called me yesterday and said it's ready. According to the invoice, they replaced the flywheel and hub. It was free of charge, no hassle, no questions asked. Starts up great now
smile.gif

That's not entirely uncommon on these. The flywheel is a laminated design, not a solid piece, and sometimes they get warped/deformed. I used to keep those on the shelf when I was in OPE parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back