My Dog Passed Away Yesterday

Man, this really hit me hard. And it was totally unexpected. He was fine until about 1:00 PM the day before yesterday. Running, jumping on and off the couch to get me up, demanding attention, and just raising hell in general like he always does.

Then he just stopped. And he laid on the living room rug and had a strange look in his eye. I knew something was wrong. He could barely get up and walk. I thought maybe he just pulled something.

I called the vet right away, and just my luck he was away, attending some sort of Veterinary conference meeting, (or at least that's what they told me), and he wouldn't be back until next Monday. At this point he seemed to be resting comfortable, and I really thought it wasn't too serious, and would pass.

I guess that's what I wanted to think. By late last night he had gotten progressively worse. His breathing got shorter, and he couldn't stand on his own. I thought we were going to lose him a couple of times over the night.

By morning it was obvious he had suffered a bad stroke, or something similar. I carried him outside so he could do his business, which he did with lot of difficulty. After that he tried to walk, but his legs gave out and he just fell over. I knew then it was over. He was suffering badly at this point.

I ended up calling most every vet in town with no luck. Half of them wouldn't even answer the phone, with just a recording to leave a message for a call back. I finally got a hold of the Animal Humane Society here in town, and I told them what I was up against, and they said they could see him at 2:30 PM yesterday.

And that was it. Just like that. I don't know what they gave him, but it was over in seconds. From healthy, to sick, to gone, in almost no time. That is it for me. No more dogs. I've had them all my life since I was a kid. But for me as I get older, I just can't take the grief when that time comes. My wife really took it hard, as did I.

They just don't live long enough. I really thought this guy had an easy 5 more years in him, just by the way he acted. But you just never know. Anyway, sorry for rambling on, but thanks for listening.

Sorry to here this my condolences,,I to lost my pet cat Mabel recently,the feeling is hard to deal with, keeping busy seems to help.

Losing a pet, especially one as loyal as a dog is one of the toughest things to go through in life. Been through it several times before and I know how you feel. Hang in there, the pain will subside, but memories will stay. I swore off new dogs afterwards too, but God always seems to deliver another one into my home. And my heart.

Great tune:

I can understand how you feel. We lost our blue heeler back in 2018 and I can’t bring myself to have another. I’ve lost several dogs through the years and it’s been heart breaking every time, but I took Kiwi’s loss especially hard.
I understand the thought of giving another dog the loving home that our previous dogs had, and in return you’ll get the enjoyment of that companionship. But for me, I struggle getting past the thought of losing another and the grief that follows. Maybe that’ll change one day.
I am truly sorry for your loss and the grief that you’re going through. I hope that you can move forward knowing that you gave him a loving home and a great life.

Just had this conversation with a lady in town....a jeweler's daughter who's dog was always in the shop.
Volunteering to walk neighbors' dogs and/or dog sit might get you out of a funk.
Condolences.

Very sorry to hear of this.

A very difficult time.

I said I would never get another dog after our last one passed. That lasted three weeks.

So sorry for you and your wife Bill. If it’s not too painful for you, maybe post a pic of him? I’m sure others would like to see him too.

Very sorry for your loss. I don’t know if you are familiar with this but Jimmy Stewart recited a pretty amazing poem on the Carson show about his dog Bo. The poem does an excellent job of describing the bond a person can develop with a pet.

Jimmy Stewart

Man that just stinks. We had the same thing happen a few years back with our boxer , Rocky. He just got up one day and wasn't the same. Took him to the vet for the last time, and he didn't come home. It was weird not having a dog meet you at the door when you came home, or bust you to take him for a walk. We said that was it for dogs, but with so many dogs needing a place to be, we found the room in our heart and our house for a couple more over the years. It's too bad dogs don't live as long as us, or elephants, turtles or exotic birds. But they're grateful everyday for all the time they do have.,,

For those who have said they would never get another after one passes, I look at it a bit differently. Sure, its painful to lose a loyal buddy, but I'd rather spend days moving forward, loving and caring and enjoying another one than focused on the grief of a lost one. Mind you, I'll never forget my lost friends, but so many out there that could use a good loving home. When the time is right, I hope y'all feel the same.

Back