My daughter took her Camry to Ford fastlane...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: jdelk69
I believe its 4.6quarts.

5 quart bottle of M1 0W-20 from Walmart $24.97
NAPA Platinum oil filter $11.25
Sales tax at 8.25%

For a grand total of $39.21

And 30 minutes of somebody's time, at a burdened rate of $100/hr... So tack on $50 to that $39.21, and you'll find that they aren't that far off.

Wow what a conversation. Fdcg I take care of 2 Camrys and I can say I do not think like that but then again, I am not the usual Camry owner. Mine get regularly serviced with high quality oil and filters.

For a Ford dealership, I do not think that is a rip off. First they can hardly pay the bill for more than a few minutes with any profit from that oil change.

Second, they used a high quality oil and hopefully filter that will last her a year or so. And that cost is within reason.
100 bucks Third, they apparently did not try to upsell or sell her other products for her car. They get a star in my book for not selling her other stuff. Good for them and not trying to take advantage of a woman.

All in all, I think that they took good care of a customer, made a few dollars to pay a few employees, gave her some good product, ie oil, and she can drive for a year without much worry.

Why are we [censored] about less than $100 here folks when her dad did not have to labor and she got some good service. Why do some of you whine so much? Just curious.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Shops don't have time to send someone to WalMart, nor do they have the room to keep stuff on hand. It is literally easier to call a parts house and have them deliver whatever they have in stock and bill to the shop's charge account.

Yep, logistics is a problem. Business common sense prevails. For example, how often would a Mazda dealer have to change oil in a 502.00-oil vehicle? Many specs out there. Still, I guess one could keep say, 2 Walmart 5quart jugs around of each type of "specialty" vehicle that might come by. You could cover 90% of your customers with about 4 oils, then the remaining 10% with a few Walmart jugs in the back of quality M1 of, say, pick 6 types. Totally depends on volume.

Originally Posted By: FetchFar
Originally Posted By: geeman789

Oh, I recently inquired about the shop rate at a local Honda dealer...

$$$$$$. 148.50 per hour. $$$$$

Plus the dreaded 10% " SHOP SUPPLIES " add on. The guy who invented that one was brilliant.... I hate him... but still brilliant...!

How are shop rates elsewhere...?

Same in middle America, Colorado. .... BMW service depts. ask for 1st-born male too.

Cripes. Just got back from the free service on my 135i (brake fluid flush and some other scheduled inspection). The labor rate there is $134/hr.

The local MB place has a racket on alignments... Claim its $189 "on sale". The MB dealer about 35 miles away only charges $89 for the same thing.

Parts prices at dealers are all over the map too.

Some dealers really are horrid. Some can be quite good, but the more "efficiency" from merging and corporate takeovers, the worse things seem to get for the consumer.

For all of you upset about people's opinions on this forum, remember we are simply relating life experiences. Keep it in perspective. .... Yes, to be safe, one must always just put the correct spec oil in a specific car, we all agree on that. However, we can and do speculate on appropriate substitutions as conjecture.

Root cause of entire thread...

TOOK CAMRY TO FORD DEALER...!

all in all, I think things turned out ok... maybe a few extra $$$ spent, and POSSIBLY a lesson learned, but no harm no foul.

Cheers...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Recent Camrys are spec'ed for 0W-20 but the car doesn't stop running if you use 5W-20.

Right, but if it did stop running on a non-manufacterur spec'd weight, guess who antique boy who being saying she should sue...

Only if it was an oil-related failure.

A rare occurrence indeed.

Who on this forum has suffered a true oil-related engine failure?

With dino 5W-20 squarely on the average viscosity of most synthetic 0W-20's (a wide range between TGMO and Castrol Synthetic) nothing would happen to the little lady's Camrizzle.

As a Camry owner, I can offer that many of us do enjoy cars but most of us recognize the amazing reliability that these cars deliver without any fuss.

My Toyota Land Cruiser offers the same granite-like reliability in a more unique package.

SilverC6, if you're a reputable shop, you have to follow manufacturer's specs to the letter, no judgement calls, although most customers might not realize you just put in a 5w-20 synthetic where Toyota "insists" on a 0w-20 meeting specific Toyota specs. Maybe you could just use a good 5w-20 synthetic, and if anyone complained you could say "They're interchangeable", and if the customer persisted you could say "I'll give you your money back."; Should be rare you have to do that.

Last edited:
For an oil change and it cost her about $75 plus. They told her that her Camry uses only Ow20 and that they used Mobil 1 extended performance. I told her that she could use 5w20 and for her to buy the oil and filter at Wally World and I'll do it for her! That's just crazy on the price.

Be happy she took it for an oil change. She is doing the right thing. Most synthetic oil changes I have seen at dealers are $69.99 so $75 is not far off. I always have my kids get synthetic oil changes because if they exceed the manufacturers OCI mileage it gives them an extra level of protection.

Originally Posted By: Doog

Be happy she took it for an oil change. She is doing the right thing. Most synthetic oil changes I have seen at dealers are $69.99 so $75 is not far off....

Amen. A much better story than ... I don't know what happened, the car just stopped.... !

... followed by ... of course I change the oil... I fill it up once a week ... !

Originally Posted By: FetchFar
SilverC6, if you're a reputable shop, you have to follow manufacturer's specs to the letter, no judgement calls, although most customers might not realize you just put in a 5w-20 synthetic where Toyota "insists" on a 0w-20 meeting specific Toyota specs. Maybe you could just use a good 5w-20 synthetic, and if anyone complained you could say "They're interchangeable", and if the customer persisted you could say "I'll give you your money back."; Should be rare you have to do that.

Granted any reputable shop would use 0W-20 (either blend or full synthetic) for the fill.

If they do a lot of 0W-20 fills, a barrel of Warren 0W-20 synthetic is probably on the other end of the hose.

If they don't do much with 0W-20, they would source it from an auto parts store along with a house brand filter.

For the record, Toyota did not insist in 2010 that 0W-20 be used exclusively.

My owner's manual says use 0W-20 and if not available, use 5W-20 but to return to 0W-20 on the very next change.

That was, I believe, a concession to the lack of availability of 0W-20 at that time.

Toyota owner .drive car till .well they dont remember it then sell it when dealer does see the thing he or she feel like in a horror movie!haaaaaa

Nothing wrong with $75 for a quality synthetic change. My question - what's the oil change reminder sticker say? Come back in 3000 miles?

Originally Posted By: mdboulier
Nothing wrong with $75 for a quality synthetic change. My question - what's the oil change reminder sticker say? Come back in 3000 miles?

Now THIS is funny! My Toyo sticker says 5k miles, when the MAINT REQUD light stops blinking and stares me down, or tries to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Toyota owner .drive car till .well they dont remember it then sell it when dealer does see the thing he or she feel like in a horror movie!haaaaaa

Right...

400,000 miles later.

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
Seriously. They probably made $15. Some racket they got there.

+1 Amen - some of you guys don't want anyone to make a profit on anything. $75 was fine, they did her a favor using M1, especially if she won't wander in for another 10K. Stopped reading the thread at this point, the haters were ruining my morning.

You are lucky the bill was not $500.00 ...the ford dealers in the chicagoland are are told/trained to UPSELL !!!! coolant,brake,ps ,trans flushes !!! plus they get a spiff on every one sold !!!....

Originally Posted By: mer
You are lucky the bill was not $500.00 ...the ford dealers in the chicagoland are are told/trained to UPSELL !!!! coolant,brake,ps ,trans flushes !!! plus they get a spiff on every one sold !!!....

Because they shouldn't try to sell things the customer may need right? And saying a simple "No" is to hard?

Oil changes are a loss leader - they don't pay the bills.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Originally Posted By: yvon_la

Right...

400,000 miles later.

Hahaha!exactly!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I believe its 4.6quarts.

5 quart bottle of M1 0W-20 from Walmart $24.97
NAPA Platinum oil filter $11.25
Sales tax at 8.25%

For a grand total of $39.21

You made no allowance for the labor to change the oil and filter and the fee to dispose of it.

Do you change it yourself or does the oil vendor do it for free as it is included in the purchase cost of the oil and filter.

The $75 fee for the oil, filter, labor and disposal seems reasonable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back