My daughter took her Camry to Ford fastlane...

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it's worth the quick lube I used to work at charges $84.99 for an oil change w/ Mobil 1 0w20. Ontario Honda dealers have a promo going where they "won't be beat" on 0w20 oil changes and charge something like $55 for 0w20.

Found link
http://ontariohondaservice.com/oilchange.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brent_G
Yes they can use 5w20 (but not correct as we both know).
5w-20 in Ford's case, is correct spec. I don't think any Ford hybrid requires 0w-20 (from Mobiloil.com website viscosity lookup).

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Quote:

And Motorcraft 0w20 syn blend doesn't exist too..riiight. LOL

Quote:

It exists. Dealerships don't have to stock it.

If they are part of the QuickLube program they MUST stock a
0w20 conventional or syn blend for vehicles that require it, sure it doesn't have to be motorcraft but I'd figure that the pricing would be best for Ford stores over other brands.

Please post a link where they are required to stock a 0w20 conventional oil.

My extended family spans the continent from Newport News up into the UP and across to the San Juan islands.
We have folks in Austin and relatives now gone from Orange County, from which airport I had the pleasure of flying on a Boeing Vertol to LAX many years ago.
I have a niece in Atlanta and a nephew in Vermont.
Some of us have lived and worked in Italy and Brazil.
I have blood relatives in South Africa, Greece and Eastern Europe.
None of this gives me any expertise in what having services done in any of those places involves, or how the laws really work.
Most shops are honest and competent the world over.
Some shops are not.
It seems likely that the OP's daughter dealt with an honest shop.
Honest doesn't mean cheap and good work doesn't mean cheapest possible.
We all know that the most honest and cheapest way of servicing any vehicle is with our own hands, and this is the case anywhere in this world.
No local law will overcome a tradesman with larceny in his heart.

No doubt possible my friend. You are more than right with your assumption that some shops do this.

But saying a shop did with no basis is a long shot. Moat don't. They use what they stock and change to spec.

Oil changes cost the shop money in most cases, up selling is where the profit is. I can make 2k on parts/labor on a 20 hour job. Or I can pay the same techs to make $20 a oil change and do 10 a day per tech.

Which makes more?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lubedude13
My shop uses amsoil oe 0w20 and we charge $54.95. Profit wise we make about $18.....before I pay the salesman, the tech, etc.....so really we didn't make anything.

As far as if it's a 2010 and newer camry they require a FULL SYNTHETIC 0w20. I called toyota because we also have Kendall 0w20 Blend and they said it must be full synthetic.

Your shop is a great deal! Amsoil or Kendall, nice stuff for not much, considering you dispose of the old stuff too.

Can someone please point out where this magical Motorcraft 0W-20 meets Toyota specs?

Didn't think so.

M1 does meet Toyota specs.

They used what they had that met the specs for the vehicle, and charged the going rate for it.

/thread

Did your daughter go in and just say "change the oil"? Unless she specifically requested something else, the dealership was right in putting in what the manufacturer spicifies.

I know of butt heads, errr customers, who would rake a dealership over the coals if they used anything besides what is specified.

Not ragging on your daughter, but i have dealt with many female customers who had no idea what oil they wanted to use or what they should use. When asked, the typical response is "whatever it is supposed to take".

I think there may have been some confusion on behalf of the dealership. 0w/20 is not necessarily a full synthetic oil. So "requires an 0w/20" does not necessarily equate to "requires a full synthetic".

An uninformed technician/service writer may not catch the difference. So, while I do not think the dealership was trying to rip anyone off, shell is probably correct that cheaper options are out there. Whether or not the dealership stocked or understood those options is another story.

The lesson here is to be informed and ask prices before you buy!

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

I actually worked in the auto retail business for 25 years as a detailer, at various $tealers and indy shops.

I would not say that too loudly, or proudly. Generally the detail guys are the bottom of the barrel in the automotive world, kinda like Autozone counter people.

Camry specs?
Let's see.
For the typical Camry owner, it's as follows:

1. Drive car until little lighty thing comes on.
2. Add fuel, which makes little lighty thing go off.
3. If car deserves a treat, consider an oil change.

That's about the amount of expertise the average Toyota owner brings to the table and is the reason that Toyota offers a period of free maintenance on new cars.
Having sold its cars as being maintenance free for many years, Toyota now has to deal with the inevitable backlash.
I base this upon those Camry owners I know and have known.
They're not usually car people, but rather people who use cars with no understanding of their functional requirements.
They often avoid paying for all of that overpriced nonsense that the OM recommends. After all, they didn't do the last scheduled maintenance and everything works fine.
Why pay for an expensive oil change using the recommended 0W-20 synthetic when the engine runs just fine on the oil from whatever was used the last time it was changed for twenty bucks, which would have been the last time the car deserved a treat?
We're looking at a group of owners who couldn't even figure out how to position the floor mats in some tragic cases.
Your post serves to illustrate this, selective quotes and all.
You seem to take issue with the notion that Toyota's oil recommendations should be followed and call this "internet arrogance".
Really?

Ford does not require the dealers to stock anything. They have a program, that mine is on, where you have to stock the top 100 part numbers to you can earn credit to return parts to Ford.

The 0W20 is not offered in bulk yet, at least through our oil distributor. So they would be filling from bottles, the MSRP is around 5.60 (IIRC) a quart for it.

I bet the dealer called whatever parts house is nearby and told them to send whatever 0W20 they had in stock. We get charged 9.19 a quart for Castrol or Mobil 1 from O'Reillys, they suggest list price should be somewhere around $15 a quart.

Also that filter costs us around $10 with the "corporate discount" which is actually higher than what a normal person pays walking in on the street.

As long as the dealer did not exceed the quoted price and the customer authorized the price, no laws were broken.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
i just did a oil change on a customers 07 beetle. the vw approved 502.00 oil cost me $9.99 a qt and it holds 6.3 qts. the filter was $8.99.

Use Walmart 5-quart jug 502.00 M1 0w-40 oil at $28 instead.

Wow, this is like the awsomest thread ever!

BTW, here's a link to Pep Boys, showing $69.99 for a Mobil 1 oil change, which expressly includes a $3.29 oil filter.

Pep Boys!

Originally Posted By: FetchFar
i just did a oil change on a customers 07 beetle. the vw approved 502.00 oil cost me $9.99 a qt and it holds 6.3 qts. the filter was $8.99.

Shops don't have time to send someone to WalMart, nor do they have the room to keep stuff on hand. It is literally easier to call a parts house and have them deliver whatever they have in stock and bill to the shop's charge account.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Camry specs?
You seem to take issue with the notion that Toyota's oil recommendations should be followed and call this "internet arrogance".
Really?

Quite the contrary...nothing in your post was remotely what I referred to...though I do agree that many car owners are clueless...and not just Toyo/Camry owners...

I did NOT take issue with following Toyota's spec's...I took issue with people who say:
1. ...that a Camry will run on any oil.
2. ...that Camry owners DO NOT NEED to run on spec.
3. ...that they know what those specs are when it is clear that they don't.

I never said arrogance comes from knowledge... I said it comes from know-it-all responses from people who don't know what they're talking about...an all too common occurrence on the internet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: FetchFar

Shops don't have time to send someone to WalMart, nor do they have the room to keep stuff on hand. It is literally easier to call a parts house and have them deliver whatever they have in stock and bill to the shop's charge account.
exactly.im not going to close the doors for an hr while i go to wm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back