My daily is now totaled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Sayjac
…... It's not a perfect video and we weren't there, so me saying it MIGHT HAVE BEEN a freak accident seem more likely than you saying it was definitely user error. No one should be so certain when it comes to things like this.....
This much is certain, in addition to the video the OP said he was going 70mph as he left road. Everyone can see how hard it was raining when he lost control and the vehicle left the road. Safe to infer that the speed was too fast for the conditions shown. And speed is a major factor in hydroplaning incidents. Further, the OP says he never liked the tires, so 70 mph in a downpour with them at the least, poor judgement. As noted by others, thankfully no one injured including any other innocent driver. Could have been far worse.

I do appreciate the OP posting the yt as it shows just what hydroplaning can do. When I think of what might have been, I prefer to think if driving even ~10 mph less perhaps the incident avoided. In the end, a costly lesson but only in terms of dollars, not human life. That is the positive here.

Really good post here ^^^^^^^^

And a good number of other good posts in this thread as well. .

Little update:

Yesterday I drove my dad's 2017 Legacy through the same stretch of highway, also during heavy rain! Wow that car feels planted.
Geico is looking at maybe fixing the Si, the tab is at $9k so far and they haven't lifted it to look underneath yet.. so the total is gonna be higher. But since these cars hold their value so well, it's gonna take quite a lot to total it. It's 50/50 right now... but it's a lease so I don't care.

If they fix it, I know I'm not gonna trust that car in bad conditions as much as the subarus that we have.
Yes I KNOW I should had slowed down more and it was probably preventable, but I'm still confident that this wouldn't had happened with one of the Subarus we have.

Be careful - by merely putting faith in the vehicle, you are opt to repeat the same mistake, because ultimately the vehicle is arbitrary. This whole post is really about car lust for something else, not about your skills as a driver. don't kid yourself. All of the other conditions combine to a different limit every day. You must learn to sense the limits in real time, not base them or your image/value on the car you drive. If you do that, you will mis-judge as a driver who has a limited bag of tricks and skills and end up in the ditch again.

I have owned 2 subarus and agree at how stable they are. you can push the limit a little further with them. HOWEVER, the well-balanced 'ru's give you LESS WARNING before they let go. In a 2wd, you'll get telltale feedback as they approach the limit, and you may still have margin to back out of it. BUT, with a balanced AWD such as subaru's, once they let go of the road you are done.

-m

Last edited:
Originally Posted by fenixguy
This post makes me feel better about how much I slow down in hard rain. If it's an option, I will get off the interstate and find a different route with less traffic and a lower speed. I'd almost rather drive in heavy snow than heavy rain.

Same. I hate driving in the rain. Snow I don't mind one bit. But I'll slow down or even take a slower road in the rain if I can.

meep is correct about Subarus. I once I need a WRX. It was a very difficult car to learn it's limits and I never did

Originally Posted by PimTac

"....but it's a lease so I don't care. "

And there you have it.

It seemed like he didn't care about his life either.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

And there you have it.

It seemed like he didn't care about his life either.

Let me take a guess that he is a millennial.

As an enthusiastic driver in rainy Florida, I know wet roads.

The OP is right, tires are mission critical in wet weather. The difference a truly good set of tires makes is flat out remarkable.

Furthermore, tires that channel water well are predictable near the limit.

OP: loved the video!

Last edited:
Tires are mission critical in any weather, be it rain, snow, ice, dry, or anything in between. Having a feel and understanding of the limits of any tire in any given condition, and what the tire was designed for (snow, ice, rain, dry, cold, heat, all-around mediocrity) is up to the driver. Exceeding those limits is all on the operator of the vehicle.

Originally Posted by Miller88
This post makes me feel better about how much I slow down in hard rain. If it's an option, I will get off the interstate and find a different route with less traffic and a lower speed. I'd almost rather drive in heavy snow than heavy rain.

Same. I hate driving in the rain. Snow I don't mind one bit. But I'll slow down or even take a slower road in the rain if I can.

I slow down in rain too, but less because I don't think I can properly control the vehicle, and more because I am almost certain that 95% of the people driving AROUND me in the rain have no clue, and I'd like to maximize my response time and control.

Don't get me wrong, part of the reason I slow down in rain is because it's prudent, in order to maintain proper control and minimize potential damage.. but it's not the only reason.

I still shake my head when some poor fool states that he can't own a RWD car because he needs something that he can drive in the rain...

Originally Posted by SirTanon
Originally Posted by Miller88

I slow down in rain too, but less because I don't think I can properly control the vehicle, and more because I am almost certain that 95% of the people driving AROUND me in the rain have no clue, and I'd like to maximize my response time and control.

Don't get me wrong, part of the reason I slow down in rain is because it's prudent, in order to maintain proper control and minimize potential damage.. but it's not the only reason.

My thoughts exactly.

Last edited:

And there you have it.

uhm, do you want me to pretend to care about a car that I'm just gonna hand over the keys when the lease is done?

Originally Posted by MCompact
I still shake my head when some poor fool states that he can't own a RWD car because he needs something that he can drive in the rain...

Clearly someone that shouldn't be on the road.

Or snow

Originally Posted by MrWideTires

And there you have it.

uhm, do you want me to pretend to care about a car that I'm just gonna hand over the keys when the lease is done?

yes. it's called gratitude. to be grateful and appreciative for what you've been given. One who truly has gratitude for what they've received demonstrates it by how they then give to others.

the opposite of gratitude is the attitude of entitlement.

I know that may sting. One of the deepest needs of men is to be respected. Respect is earned. It requires no social status, no rank, no education, no money. Every single person has the ability to demonstrate integrity, honesty, and respect for others. And in doing so, they will in return find themselves appreciated and respected by their peers.

Entitlement = self-focused. You'll get ripped alive by others, and you will feel condemned and worthless within. It's a hard cycle.

You can do it - you already have what it takes.

And there you have it.

I'm not wishing this on you but in this case I don't think this will be the case. Good luck with the lessor and the insurance company.

And there you have it.

I'm not wishing this on you but in this case I don't think this will be the case. Good luck with the lessor and the insurance company.

What do you think is going to happen? If he is "made whole" by the insurance company choosing to repair the car, then the he'll turn in the lease as normal. A satisfactory repair is a satisfactory repair, and should say as much in his contract.

If he's in a lease he should have GAP, and would walk away in the event it is declared a total loss.

I get the "Why would you buy a RWD car? We get snow!" thing all the time. I just respond with "I don't like front wheel drive, and the engine is installed as God intended it to be."
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back