My catalytic converter was stolen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got decatted last weekend. The crooks are stealing angle grinders from Home Depot or Lowe’s. As much as I believe in clean air, I’m thinking of driving to Nevada or Oregon to find a shop who can make a “test” pipe for me.
Do you still live in CA? I thought they did a visual inspection on top of checking ODB codes (or do they do a sniff test instead?).

The part that is annoying is they pick whatever car including older ones likely without full coverage insurance and it costs owners into $1500 to fix their old vehicle.

It would be fun to create a decoy vehicle that traps the culprits under when they try and have on video with them pinned and subsequently shamed and then arrested.

Legislation is useless without enforcement. It's a matter of priorities.
Lots and lots of various crimes across the country are no longer being enforced, and those that are enforced are too many times treated as a "catch and release" situation by the authorities. I expect that stolen cats would fall into one of those two categories, no matter which laws and regulations on scrap yards are put into place.

Car is currently in the shop. The tech said they had another Honda in the other day with a missing cat.

• Sad
Reactions: GON
Man i live in fear of my 17 6.2 superduty getting got. The cats are HUGE, hang below the frame, and just sit there ripe for the picking in all of their golden heat cycled glory….. For grins i priced them online and evacuated on the floor when i saw how much they cost!

There's a shop near me that does so much business replacing Prius cats that they stock them:

new-prius-converters.jpg

I started my 02 Accord this morning and heard a LOUD rumbling noise. I thought the exhaust holes that I had welded up a couple of years back had busted open. Was running late for work and didn't have time to investigate until later on in the day. Imagine my surprise when I popped my head under the car to find this:

View attachment 104715

I had heard about cats getting jacked but never expected it to happen to me. It sucks because this was the original factory California-spec super ultra low emission cat. I imagine it's going to cost a pretty penny to replace along with the O2 sensor & wiring harness the scumbag snipped off. I filed a police report and the officer said this was the third cat theft she had today. Be careful out there, guys. Times are hard and people are getting desperate.
I am sorry to hear of this. It is an epidemic in MN. I met a guy on Thursday, who had cats cut off 2 different cars within months.
Was next to a Dominos driver a week ago, and it was evident his cat had been cut.

You've quite a negative attitude ... you don't know the shop nor its involvement with the community, but you pass judgment in a flippant manner. Sad:(
Please, you and your cronies, don’t be Butt-hurt……😂 Maybe friends with the Shop owner🤔
My statement wasn’t meant to be judged, especially by you…..and yes, there was a negative tinge to my statement . Truth hurts many!
And from what you say, the only involvement they have with the “community“ is taking their hard earned Money💰after they have been victimized……✋😎🤚
And Sorry, I only have an HS education…..please define YOUR version of “Flippant”?

Last edited:
Man i live in fear of my 17 6.2 superduty getting got. The cats are HUGE, hang below the frame, and just sit there ripe for the picking in all of their golden heat cycled glory….. For grins i priced them online and evacuated on the floor when i saw how much they cost!
What’s your address, I will come and watch your car through the night. I can only do it for 2 nights though.

So, just to clarify your response, the Thefts ARE being enforced by the First responders (ie: Law Enforcement. ie:The Police) The issue lies with the lack of Prosecution by the Adjudicators of Law ( ie: The District Attorney, ie: The Assistant DA’s) of the States affected. “Catch and Release“ is the norm nowadays in the States that allow it to happen. Until the constituent’s decide to vote these individuals out of office, it will continue. For the Mod’s, no Political response here, just the Truth!👍
Some thefts are being enforced, some ain't.

Political commentary, off topic replies, new topic started.

BTW saying something is the truth doesn't mean it is or isn't political. Thats an excuse that doesn't work. Don't use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back