My car exhaust pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the oil choice I made . it seem like nothing is going on in the exhaust side. Aside. From some water . I look into the muffler and I see the Ben in the pipe at the other end. The pipe is so clean it is insane. I know the car only has about 5500 mile . but shouldn't the exhaust become dark?does it mean my car is running too lean? Should I add oil in the gas tank . I don't want to break my engine . I never met a car with a clean exhaust . or is it all in my head and if it isn't broken I shouldn't touch it?

Do you short trip it? Ways run warmed up? Better read the sparkplugs than the exhaust to diagnose a lean condition.

If no issues, why worry? Dont think you can diagnose a problem by your exhaust being clean or dirty. If its running rich or lean your computer would drop a code to let you know.

Woah, slow down!

At only 5,500 I'd expect a pretty clean exhaust. I mean, wasn't that the point of those pesky clean-air laws?

It'll eventually pick up some soot, but perhaps not for miles to come.

Motor on. Obsess over something else.

Wait, you're concerned that your car is burning clean? If I recall correctly, they taught us in school that combustion is supposed to yield CO and H2O...

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
With the oil choice I made . it seem like nothing is going on in the exhaust side. Aside. From some water . I look into the muffler and I see the Ben in the pipe at the other end. The pipe is so clean it is insane. I know the car only has about 5500 mile . but shouldn't the exhaust become dark?does it mean my car is running too lean? Should I add oil in the gas tank . I don't want to break my engine . I never met a car with a clean exhaust . or is it all in my head and if it isn't broken I shouldn't touch it?

Dude, my Expedition has a clean tailpipe and has almost 200,000 miles on it. Your factory tune isn't rich and your cats are working. My wife's R/T is the same way. The only (stock) cars I've ever owned that make sooty pipes came with performance tunes like my M5 and SRT-8.

Well, my cruze, Mazda, and Focus all have had sooty tailpipes. The cruze was because of the rich running because of turbo, and the mazda and my focus appear to be because of high particulates and richer running with DI.-

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Well, my cruze, Mazda, and Focus all have had sooty tailpipes. The cruze was because of the rich running because of turbo, and the mazda and my focus appear to be because of high particulates and richer running with DI.-

Yeah, DI is a different beast. All mine are port-injected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back