My body is making too much hydrogen peroxide!

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29468796

Attention parents: It's not your kids that are making you go gray. Your hair is simply building up too much hydrogen peroxide.

Bottle-blondes may be a fan, but hydrogen peroxide, which is produced naturally in the human body, interferes with melanin, the pigment that colors our hair and skin.

The body also produces the enzyme catalase, which breaks down hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen. Or at least it does for a while. As we age, catalase production tails off, leaving nothing to transform the hydrogen peroxide into chemicals the body can release.

So, as hydrogen peroxide builds up, we go gray, concluded researchers at the University of Bradford in the United Kingdom, who last week published the results of a study in the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology's online journal.

Reversing the process
"This new insight could open new strategies for intervention and reversal of the hair graying process," wrote the study's lead author John Wood, who died last month.
The studies were based on analysis of cell cultures of human hair follicles.

In addition to lacking catalase, the follicles of gray-haired people also had far fewer hair-repair enzymes, which in turn drove down production of melanin, the scientists found.

Genetics play a role as well, causing some people, such as Caucasians, to gray earlier than others, like Asians.

Scientists suspect the same mechanism also may be responsible for a condition known as vitiligo, where white spots appear in the skin.

"It gives you insight into how we age in general," Gerald Weissmann, professor of medicine at New York University, told Discovery News. "They got the molecular basis of aging down pat."

Skin cells produce small amounts of hydrogen peroxide as part of the body's oxygen cycle. The chemical serves to kill bacteria.

Scientists are hopeful there may be a way to remix the chemical soup to keep color in our hair, which no doubt is of interest to a hair-care industry that will be worth about $42.5 billion worldwide by 2010, according to a market report published last year by Global Industry Analysts.

Weissmann predicts it won't be long before products to remove hydrogen peroxide from the hair — and the body in general — are created.

"The rule goes when basic science is discovered it is quickly followed by a product," he said.

© 2009 Discovery Channel

I'd love to have perfect skin as I age. If some pimply teenager ID's me at 70, I'd take it as a giant compliment!

Steve, it's not the size, it's how you use it! ;-)

Interesting. A biology PhD student friend told me that DNA often loses a little off the ends when it replicates and that you go gray because the section determining hair colour is relatively close to the end. Is this wrong, or just another factor?

The common sense gene is surely at or near the bottom of the DNA double helix.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
LOL.gif

crackmeup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

LOL.gif

Well, let's hear it. Why is that an obviously ridiculous explanation?

Well, my comment was merely a what appeared to me fairly amusing suggestion. In no way did I mean to belittle your friend's claim, although I have a hunch he may have been pulling your leg, or rather uh... hair. The DNA double helix does suffer damage, for example through radiation to which we all exposed, all the time, meaning that random damage does occur. I have, however, never heard of the bottom rungs of the DNA basically falling off!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
telomeres

Pablo's extra fingers? Well, they didn't fall off the DNA strand!
wink.gif

Well, my comment was merely a what appeared to me fairly amusing suggestion. In no way did I mean to belittle your friend's claim, although I have a hunch he may have been pulling your leg, or rather uh... hair.

It's possible; that's what I'm trying to figure out! I've never seen him use that sort of dry humor though, and he usually doesn't speak up unless he knows what he's talking about. He also claimed that certain reproductive cells and spinal cord cells generate junk material on the ends to keep from losing important information. That's about all the detail I can remember.

Oilyriser, thanks for the word. Telomere is definitely a term he used and it will give me something to go off if I do some googling.

they are the "junk" DNA that's expendable on the end of the chain (or something that we haven't found a use for yet...devolution maybe ?)

I could write something about a precious metal supposotory? and the OP being able to fly to work jet pack style, but I won't since I don't know them that well and really don't want to. I will warn them to carefully remove any baking soda from house, use thick gloves and warn neighobors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back