My accelerator pedal is dead

I looked up the Scion tC wiring diagram but the colors are not the same on that installation. Maybe they changed something in coloring from 05-07 to 09. I didn't post a picture because it's not the same colors.. I agree with @brianl703 there are dashes, you'll see it better when you take it apart and look at it closer in your hands than the picture you have.

It’s working again. In bright sunlight there’s a very subtle color difference between the two green wires. Two of the wires must carry a signal back to the ECU because it has a shielded outer wrap that’s now a few inches shorter. I hope there’s no long term consequence to that. It ran fairly rough for a few seconds but smoothed out quickly.

It’s working again. In bright sunlight there’s a very subtle color difference between the two green wires. Two of the wires must carry a signal back to the ECU because it has a shielded outer wrap that’s now a few inches shorter. I hope there’s no long term consequence to that. It ran fairly rough for a few seconds but smoothed out quickly.
New electronic TB's need a good 5-10 secs after a battery disconnection to relearn their position but sometimes an extended idle is enough.

The extra insulation is because it is an signal wire which could pick up EMI but I doubt a few inches will make a difference.

It could either be the throttle body or the accelerator pedal assembly. You need a scanner with live data to determine which one is the problem.
OR, wiring or bad connector.

Don't cuss at the vehicle too hard in your mind, think of it this way, it failed safe. And that is a big deal on something controlling the throttle of an engine.

Posted before I read all the other posts.

I now saw you found the bad wires.

Last edited:
FWIW I stopped in and talked to my insurance guy. My State Farm comprehensive policy would have covered the repair but I have a $500 deductible. Towing would have been covered without the deductible. I asked just in case it didn’t work after I spliced in a new connector.

Good to hear you got it re-wired! And what everyone else already said, the shielding is for any EMI/RFI interference. With only a couple inches missing you'd have to be VERY close for anything to interfere. And yes the rough to smooth running is the computer re-learning the throttle plate angle.

Glad it's all done! and saved money! Don't forget that dryer sheets (cheapest) or critter ridder (peppercorn) or pepperment oil on cotton balls will get rid of those rodents.. they cannot stand the smell of any of them.. in case you're going to let the car sit for any length of time.

Back