My '96 Maxima joined the 300K (mi) club

My 2000 maxima went 175k on original clutch. Only things I ever had to change was coil packs cause they were notorious and brakes. If it wasn't for a hail storm that left it all dented I'd still be driving it if the rear cross member didn't disintegrate from rust lol.

After a detour to an Acura tl I have an Infiniti Q40 only because the maxima got a cvt trans and no manual transmissions

So sad that manuals are pretty much extinct. And if that wasn't bad enough, good old planetary geared slushboxes and giving way to CVTs and turbochargers. Much harder to get to the 300k club with that stuff!

Those were pretty quick cars in their day, especially with the 5-speed.

It matters less these days, with cars being more powerful, and automatic transmissions being more efficient and quicker shifting.

But, 25-30 years ago, it was common for the manual-equipped version of a car to be a little faster. And it was the case with those Maximas.

Younger folks won’t remember, but for us Gen-X’ers who grew up in the 80s and 90s, those Maximas, from around ‘89-96 or so, they were enthusiast’s cars. Sort of a front-wheel drive Japanese BMW, if you will. Those 3.0 DOHC V6s in the SE trim level were pretty peppy, again, especially with the manual. And they were made well. The interiors were especially nice if you got the leather.

I remember test-driving a ‘93 SE 5-speed. Pearl white, charcoal leather, sunroof, Bose, 5-speed, when I was 18. Was advised not to buy it due to recurring problems with the cam gears. I didn’t know a lot about cars or engines back then. I ended up not getting it due to that advice. Bought an ‘87 with low mileage instead, which ended up being a good car after some initial money spent on a steering rack and CV axles.

Still, to this day, wish I’d gotten that ‘93 instead! Cam gear problems or no!
Yeah a low 7-second 0-60 (in auto trim) keeps up plenty well with modern vehicles. 190hp doesn't sound like a lot, but when you combine it with > 200 lb-ft torque and a 3000lb curb weight, it moves fairly quick. '95 / 4th gen was the first year for the VQ V-6, which I think they put in the Maxima (a single model) to make sure the engine was sound before they released it to the rest of the lineup. They ditched the 3.0L and enlarged it to 3.5L after a few years.

What is interesting about the 3.0L is it's a very short stroke engine with long rods, the rod length to stroke ratio is over 2.0, which is almost unheard of in a production car. That reduces the angle of the rods (as the piston moves up and down) which results in less side loading on the cylinder wall. Most production engines are in the 1.5-1.75 range. Probably why the early VQs have such a good track record for engine reliability at very high mileages.

For me it's just a transportation appliance (it no longer has the appeal of an enthusiast car lol, design is too dated), but it's been invaluable and super reliable for that purpose.

Those were pretty quick cars in their day, especially with the 5-speed.

It matters less these days, with cars being more powerful, and automatic transmissions being more efficient and quicker shifting.

But, 25-30 years ago, it was common for the manual-equipped version of a car to be a little faster. And it was the case with those Maximas.

Younger folks won’t remember, but for us Gen-X’ers who grew up in the 80s and 90s, those Maximas, from around ‘89-96 or so, they were enthusiast’s cars. Sort of a front-wheel drive Japanese BMW, if you will. Those 3.0 DOHC V6s in the SE trim level were pretty peppy, again, especially with the manual. And they were made well. The interiors were especially nice if you got the leather.

I remember test-driving a ‘93 SE 5-speed. Pearl white, charcoal leather, sunroof, Bose, 5-speed, when I was 18. Was advised not to buy it due to recurring problems with the cam gears. I didn’t know a lot about cars or engines back then. I ended up not getting it due to that advice. Bought an ‘87 with low mileage instead, which ended up being a good car after some initial money spent on a steering rack and CV axles.

Still, to this day, wish I’d gotten that ‘93 instead! Cam gear problems or no!
Well said!👍 I also remember Maximas (maybe the 1980s) having flagship luxury models in their lineup.

Well said!👍 I also remember Maximas (maybe the 1980s) having flagship luxury models in their lineup.
That was the GLE.

I’ve forgotten what year those became available.

Mine was a 1987 GXE. It would be considered mid-level, options-wise, though still very well-equipped for its day (pwr windows, PDL, pwr mirrors, pwr driver’s seat, pwr antenna, pwr sunroof, alloys, tape deck, A/C, electronically adjustable rear shocks, pwr shoulder harnesses).

The only options it didn’t have: leather, automatic, and the “glass cockpit” electronic displays with ”bitchin’ Betty” talking annunciation system.

That was the GLE.

I’ve forgotten what year those became available.

Mine was a 1987 GXE. It would be considered mid-level, options-wise, though still very well-equipped for its day (pwr windows, PDL, pwr mirrors, pwr driver’s seat, pwr antenna, pwr sunroof, alloys, tape deck, A/C, electronically adjustable rear shocks, pwr shoulder harnesses).

The only options it didn’t have: leather, automatic, and the “glass cockpit” electronic displays with ”bitchin’ Betty” talking annunciation system.
Sweet car!

Ooh I do like a clean Maxima
Yet it's various minor faults ring familiar to vintage Nissan products
They all seem to hit a point where it's nickel and dimeing their way to failing an inspection, not starting, or being too rusty
Injectors, TPS, Distributors, oil leaks trashing control arm bushings which then prematurely kills the tires
Engine mounts were common, aftermarket was always junk
The loose engine would then twist the rusted flex pipe, breaking it
The OE coils failed often, and the aftermarket ones sucked even worse
The early VQ cars had what was close (sans turbos) to a Skyline engine 💨
I'd kill for a clean one, I remember when they were at their peak in the street cred department here in NYC
The 4DSC (four door sports car) was the badge
Before BMWs and Acura's had mainstreamed
All the OGs had the fastest sedan in the east
They didn't take the abuse well, and really liked to rust out
The 04+ CVT with the funky sunroof just didn't have the same spirit as the 3rd-5th Gen cars
If you ever see an '03 6 speed SE/Limited w/the Meridian package
That got you Bose, Sunroof, 6MT w/LSD, Heated leather seats
People would pay big $$$ for a clean one

The 4th gen Maxima’s were awesome. I had a ‘99 Maxima SE back in the day and it was super reliable and enjoyable to drive.

The radiator support will eventually give way for those in the rust belt.

Other than that, the Maxima and I30 of that era were awesome cars.

Last edited:
A close friend of mine from high school grew up in a very impoverished family and between him and his brother scraped together 1200 dollars to buy a 2003 maxima. That was almost 6 year and they still share the car having moved 300 miles away in it and I believe each one was admitted to law school. Those older nissans can really hold it together

I had a 1998 SE, took it from 63k miles to about 210k. Very good car, would have been a lot more fun as a manual.

My only issues were a stuck injector that caused smoke at startup, was fixed with an intake clean. And I had to replace the evap purge valve.

Mine was weighed one time for a move I took and it was right at 3000 lbs. That's why they felt quick with 190hp and decent torque.

Mine was weighed one time for a move I took and it was right at 3000 lbs. That's why they felt quick with 190hp and decent torque.
That’s remarkable considering the weights of a couple of cars that we’ve had:

- 2016 WRX (32xx lbs)
- 2018 Civic Hatchback (28xx lbs)

Reading this thread bought back fond memories of my 1998 200SX SE-R I had around 2010. Front radiator support and undercarriage rust took it out in the end, it had a persistent check engine light for evap/emissions and the SR20DE engine burned 1 qt every 1k miles the whole time I owned it because of valve stem seals… But it started every morning, never broke down and I put about 60,000 miles on it over the course of couple good years. It went to junk yard with about 197k still running and driving.
Nissans of that time era are completely different then what Nissans are of today.
89DA5D46-9BF2-4AF1-8794-3433BF463147.jpeg

Awesome. I wish more vehicles in the USA made it to 300k. Id be all for taxing the snot out of pull-n-pay and LKQ for wasting sub 150k mile vehicles. If you can get 300k miles so should everyone else.

Awesome. I wish more vehicles in the USA made it to 300k. Id be all for taxing the snot out of pull-n-pay and LKQ for wasting sub 150k mile vehicles. If you can get 300k miles so should everyone else.

you're just bragging that you're not from an area that deals with rust :sneaky:

Any updates to this fine vehicle?
It's funny you ask that, because I just started daily driving it again this week. Back in March I replaced it as my daily driver with a '18 Buick Tour-X wagon. It's been sitting a lot since and even though I'd drive it here and there once a month or so, I began to worry about seals from it sitting so much.

So I went back to the normal 70mi/day commute this week and it hasn't skipped a beat. I parked over cardboard in the shop each night so I could monitor the minor seal seeping/leaking issues, and no drips yet. This thing has a really cramped engine bay, so I'm not looking forward to the day I have to replace any major seals, but so far so good.

The intention is to make the Maxima a hand-me-down for my teenage son who's 16. My mom sold me the car for next to nothing, and she told me if I keep it running till he's driving age, it becomes his. Fair enough, he gets his permit in about a week. I think he's read the manual cover to cover at least three times now and is really excited about it. Currently sits at 317K.

Can't recall exactly when, but between 300K and now, I had to replace the exhaust flexpipe, all motor mounts and reweld one section of the exhaust behind the tailpipe that broke off. Rust is really starting eat at the lower corners of the wheel arches, but all aesthetic at this point. Next time I have it on the lift, I'll take a look at the lower radiator support.

The 90s thru 03 Maximas were the peak of Nissan.

I used to have an Infiniti I35 (cousin to the Maxima). Gave it to my nephew several years back. I really miss that VQ engine.

Back