My 1st GC post

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at Auto Zone to get my friend's OBDII light read.

I wandered over to the oil rack to see if there was anything special.

Castrol Syntec 0-30 made in Germany.

The bottom of the bottle had some type of time code I guess.

First number was 04.

Does this mean made in 04.

Is this the "green elixer" everyone raves about.

It's $4.99/qt, and I have no need for more oil since I started my oil stash w/ AZ's blowout in Feb on API SL rated Syn's (QS Syn 10-30 + ValMxLifeSyn 5-30 & 10-30 for $1.50 and $2.00/qt) and Pep Boys B3G3F M1 coupons.

What type of OCI's are people running with GC?

Is GC ok for South Texas high heat and humidity and dusty/sandy conditions for long OCI intervals on GC?

Has anyone here run GC in a Vortec 5.3 or Ford Modular 4.6?

Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by Islandvic:
The bottom of the bottle had some type of time code I guess.

It's the production year and Julian date and at the very end, the time it was produced (e.g M04310xxxxxxx15:10 would be the 310th day of 2004 at 3:10 PM

quote:

First number was 04.

Does this mean made in 04.

See above

quote:

Is this the "green elixer" everyone raves about.

Anything M0501 and before is The Green (as long as it says "Made in Germany")

quote:

What type of OCI's are people running with GC?

Off the top of my head I'd say the average is 6-8K

quote:

Is GC ok for South Texas high heat and humidity and dusty/sandy conditions for long OCI intervals on GC?

Absolutely

quote:

Has anyone here run GC in a Vortec 5.3 or Ford Modular 4.6?

Thanks.

Just do a search in the UOA section...whether they have or not, I still think you will like it in both engines

I thought someone with a Modular has some valve noise with GC??
Just a note, although the price says 4.99, many times it is not. I just exchanged some the other day and while it initialy rings up as 4.99, when it is totaled out, it was $4.29 each.

quote:

Originally posted by blupupher:
I thought someone with a Modular has some valve noise with GC??

...was probably me.

Yes, my 4.6L 1997 T-bird didn't like GC much. made a bunch of abnormal noises-especiall at idle-that weren't there before. Did a 3700 mile-UOA: not bad, but wasn't also special; (Cu and Pb were above average)

After that I've switched to mostly Motorcraft mixes. (right now have a 2:3 ratio mix of MC 10/40 and 10/30 for the summer; Bird runs pretty smooth, and just saw 107k miles:))

I haven't seen much uoa-evidence of GC and 4.6L mod's liking each other. (not GC's fault, though; GC's just great on some engines, it seems. the 4.6L mod is just not one of them, perhaps)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back