My 1300 cc engined car only gets 15 MPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kira
OK, I'll say it first:

Something's wrong here

The weird thing is that the car doesn´t run poorly as a over rich tuned carburetor would, it has good power but my spark plugs are fouling with carbon every 3 months

My quad cab Dodge Hemi with AC on gets 16.5 in town and 23 on the hiway at 70mph. My 65 VW bug gets 29-30 with a 1600 motor.

If it's fouling with carbon every three months it's definitely running rich, just not rich enough to bog down. Leaky accelerator pump? Tired float valve?

I rented a Uno years ago in Italy from Hertz. I recall you really had to thrash the motor to high RPM's to make any power. Driving that tin can at 120 km/h on the Autostrada would cause all sorts of shaking. I wondered if it got its name b/c it had 1 windshield wiper or 1 HP.

Good compression? Might be time for a carb rebuild, how black is the tailpipe? Last carburetor I drove was my brother's old '87 Tercel (pour out a can of Krown, rust killed it)-with a 5 speed and emission controlled carb, the 1.5 E could get 40 MPG on a good day (pinging the whole way doe to leaned out A/F ratio).

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
My 2014 Mustang gets 14.9mpg, and that has been with me consistently driving to save gas.

I wonder why it does so bad. My wife has a 2010 3 valve and it gets 19-20 with 26 on a road trip. Have you changed the gearing?

It is a Track Pack so it came with 3.73s.

Plug fouling says to me rich. Or could it be too much idle, plugs too cold?

Can you get an O2 sensor on it, a wideband one, and monitor level while driving? Methinks it is just tuned rich. But depending upon what your driving habits are, it might never get high mpg. I mean, if it's going offroad, up hills, idling heavily... it'll never be "great".

If you could find BITOG, you should be able to find a vintage FIAT blog to get a better diagnosis. A carb adds a whole n'other dimension. A heavy float, a bad fuel pump diaphragm, a stuck choke. Can you light the dipstick on fire? Please keep posting TIA

Originally Posted By: meep
If it's fouling with carbon every three months it's definitely running rich, just not rich enough to bog down. Leaky accelerator pump? Tired float valve?

I think that is the problem: the accelerator pump is leaking

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
My 2014 Mustang gets 14.9mpg, and that has been with me consistently driving to save gas.

I wonder why it does so bad. My wife has a 2010 3 valve and it gets 19-20 with 26 on a road trip. Have you changed the gearing?

It has 4.08:1 Final Drive from the factory

Originally Posted By: PimTac
A 1999 car with a carburetor. Fiat took their time going to fuel injection.

Fiat have been selling fuel injected cars since late 1980s, is Fiat do Brasil the one that took longer to go into fuel injected car. In South America we have 3rd World cars made in Brazil, Argentina and Mexico that are very old but are still being made in the factory.

The Fiat Uno was discontinued in 1989 in Europe but the same model was sold until 2013 here in South America with restyling and a 1990s fuel injected engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Emanuel
I have a 1999 Fiat Uno, it is carbureted and has a 1297 cc engine that loves to rev thanks to it´s dual barrel weber carburetor. Because of the way I drive it I´m getting 15 MPG, that is so funny for me. Isn´t that fuel consumption American V8 Truck territory?

Sounds like to beat on it and you expect good mileage? Get real.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back