MV CVTF for 2015 Subaru Outback?

Hi folks!

I just did a CVT fluid change on our 2015 Outback.

I used a MV CTVF spec fluid.....and now im reading the 2015 spec is CTVF-2 in some cases.

Have mercy!

All I know is the new stuff is red.....and the old stuff is dark green/brown

After two drain and fills and a drive, the car shifts beautifully....smooth and seems to have lost the harsh shift into gear lurch it had

Should I shell out for OEM CVTF-2 fluid? Subaru only sells it in 5 gallon pails here.....and every parts store in town only carrys CTVF compatiible fluids.

Did they change the cvt that much from.'14 to '15?

Thanks!

Ryan

subaru seems to have 4-5 cvt fluids and they state they are all incompatible with each other.

aftermarket there is 1-2 formulations that fully covers all the subaru applications

not sure how that is possible but hey more power to them.

If it shifts better, then the red stuff is fine :)

You do not need to buy the special stuff from the Subaru dealer. The orange CVT fluid for turbos is only sold by the 5-gallon bucket, but I thought the green non-turbo CVT fluid was actually sold by the quart.

The color doesn't really matter, but if you want something green, there are a few aftermarket CVT fluids that are green, but again, the red stuff you have in there now is not a problem at all.

Valvoline CVT is amber, and Amalie CVT fluids are also amber (including Autozone STP, AAP's CQ and Fram CVT fluids, Wolf's Head, etc)

AMSOIL CVT looks to be compatible. I’ve been running it for about 90K miles in our 2012 Subaru Impreza without issue.

From what i have been able to gather here CVT oil operates under the coefficient of traction instead of friction and it supposedly undergoes a greater shearing force. Under those operations i would opt for something like an Amsoil CVT but moreso that changing it at all, and doing so frequently, would be the most important. But of course there is a member here who drove like 284,000 on his original nissan cvt oil so what do i know?

Thanks guys. KJMTECH, sorry, yes....front park to drive, to neutral, to reverse.....and it seeks to pick up nicely with throttle inputs with little lag

Hyundai abuser, intersating stuff.....i feel liie because of the simikarities in cvt design the friction additives should be similar?

Thanks guys! I still wonder about the CVTF vs CVTF-2

CVTF-2 is mentiones for 2015 cars and up and is lower viscosity.....I cant imagine they completely redesigned the transmission between 2014 and 2015. The part stores both pointed me to this fluid.....

Back