"Mustang"Mach-E Efficiency

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
On top of creating as much brand acrimony and the Porsche SUV's the Mustang Mach E looks to be a pig comparatively from a KHW per mile perspective.

MPGe may not be particular meaningful when comparing an ICE engine to a BEV, but what it IS useful for is comparing 2 BEV's

So far - It looks like Ford is getting about 25% less efficiency requiring a 100KWH pack to accomplish what the Y does with 75. Early testers are seeing this result as well.

Apparently it rides great, is super quiet and has nice road manners.

Well, it looks as though the Ford Mustang Mach-E won't be much of a threat. The EPA figures for the Blue Oval EVshow the longest range for any of the four Mach-E versions is 300 miles (483 km), 26 miles (42 km) short of what the Tesla Model Y Long Range AWD offers. So, not only does the Y come out on top, but it also offers a dual-motor all-wheel-drive setup as well as a considerably smaller battery pack (75 kWh compared to almost 100 kWh).

According to the EPA, the Mach-E version with the lowest range is the AWD model with the standard battery option that can only cover 211 miles (340 km). Fit the extended battery, and that figure will jump to the 300 miles (483 km) we've talked about earlier. In between these two sit the standard battery RWD version with 230 miles (370 km) and the extended battery AWD version with 270 miles (434 km).

Considering the battery capacity and the range figures, it's clear the Ford Mustang Mach-E suffers from poor efficiency. Based on that criterion, Ford's EV is below many of its competitors with a best combined MPGe(miles per gallon equivalent) value of 95. By comparison, the Tesla Model Y Long Range AWD gets 127 MPGe, whereas the leader in this regard, the Model 3Standard Range Plus, scores as high as 141.

Vehicles are tools no matter what we think. There are many reasons an electric vehicle would fit the bill . Especially where electricity is plentiful and low priced. While I have zero experience with EVs other that driving my neighbors Prius which is really interesting. I have spent 20+ years working on forklifts and there are pluses and minus' to electric forklifts. They are fairly trouble free and low maintenance if run properly. We are still in the infancy of electric vehicle use .

Ev miles/kwhr varies so much by the conditions of use. When I read “not much of a threat” I read someone in love with Teslas or someone owning Tesla stock long. Otherwise why is it a “threat?” I have had two plug ins, one was just above the epa the other is a lot above epa driving exactly the same roads and the same way. Anyway people also buy 400 hp Mustangs and miles per unit of energy is not on their mind. Wait until Bentley markets their ev, I bet it is a real oinker on electrons with all that beef to carry.

Setting aside journalistic hype the kickers here are several fold.

Everyone that said it was going to be a cake walk for the existing guys to electrify competitively were wrong. This is another example.

At some where around 1K per KWH the difference in MSRP is going to be massive if its going to be profitable.

As more and more BEVs come out all need to be charged somewhere and Electrify America simply isnt big enough without major additional investments as no one on a road trip wants to drive into a town to charge.

The Mach-E will probably sell great to the Ford fans. Not much creativity in the name though...
Tesla is still waiting for the "big boys" to build a better EV. "Building an EV is easy!"
No offense meant, but I won't hold my breath for all the naysayers to admit they were wrong.
All good.

This guy is one of the top Tesla and EV reviewers. He and his family have owned all the Tesla models; I believe he has the Roadster 2 on order.
The Mach-E will fit the bill for many people, especially if you get in on the Federal Tax Credit.
I really like the frunk functionality. For you newbies, the frunk is the front trunk; EVs don't have a big fat engine up there.
I wonder if Ford will discount the Mach-E? Tesla does not discount their cars.
Mach-E review

This guy is one of the top Tesla and EV reviewers. He and his family have owned all the Tesla models; I believe he has the Roadster 2 on order.
The Mach-E will fit the bill for many people, especially if you get in on the Federal Tax Credit.
I really like the frunk functionality. For you newbies, the frunk is the front trunk; EVs don't have a big fat engine up there.
I wonder if Ford will discount the Mach-E? Tesla does not discount their cars.
Mach-E review

Im thinking they not only won't discount it, but likely jack it up over sticker with "market adjustments".

I think the car looks pretty cool and I like the interior - As a guy that spent a weekend in a Cobra R calling a mustang is hard but ok...

Im thinking they not only won't discount it, but likely jack it up over sticker with "market adjustments".

I think the car looks pretty cool and I like the interior - As a guy that spent a weekend in a Cobra R calling a mustang is hard but ok...
Dave, the Ford guys will love it and rant about it and forget how they hate EVs and range sucks and all that.
For people who want the future now, the Tesla mistique is the only choice.
There is a reason for it. Just ask an owner.

But kudos to Ford for building the only real competition to the Model 3 and Y.
I wish them well; it will push everyone to do better.

Dave, the Ford guys will love it and rant about it and forget how they hate EVs and range sucks and all that.
For people who want the future now, the Tesla mistique is the only choice.
There is a reason for it. Just ask an owner.

But kudos to Ford for building the only real competition to the Model 3 and Y.
I wish them well; it will push everyone to do better.

I hope so I wish no ill will toward Ford, but only want them to succeed.
Prior to the Focus trans fiasco I was a Happy Ford client with a 93 lightning, a supercharged cougar, and a SHO taurus.

UD

FWIW, Edmunds got 304 miles of range on their “EV Test Loop” compared to the published range figure of 270 miles in the AWD Extended range model.

I’m trying to find out if they tested a Model Y AWD LR on the same loop.

The Chevrolet Bolt EUV should be unveiled soon. Be curious is they leave the same battery pack as the regular Bolt and how its efficiency will compare to the Mach-E and Model Y.

Picking the Mustang for its first battery car is a polarizing decision. For the Mustang faithful it is a blow to the gut.

The Fusion would have been a better choice.

Oh wait?

Looks like top charging power is 150KW

Looking forward to see Bjorn Nylands charging comparison and curves on it on it.

I like the 2 screen better than the Y and 3's one. Love the S's setup.

One test guy saw 61 miles range in 10 minutes.

Vs

75 in 5 min for the Y/3

Watched the vid, I expect people will like it. It's more simple than the e-tron, seems well laid-out and will be "familiar" for most car people, which, as we've discussed, will definitely appeal to a certain audience, myself included. I still prefer the e-tron dash however over this, at least based on what I'm seeing in the video.

Back