Mushrooms invading my lawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI,

Bacteria need air (aerobic) to breakdown organic matter. Where they convert nitrogen from the air to the roots of the plant (Air is 78% nitrogen)

Fungi don't need air (anaerobic) That's why you seen my fungi in the forest.

I would probably aerate your yard soon, that should help with the fungi.

If that doesn't solve your problem, then use some type of de-thatcher to get the thatch off the surface of the ground. Then apply some type of microbial stimulant (organic fertilizer)

Then keep on mulching, Mulching your yard can add an additional 120 lbs per acre of free nitrogen (as long as you have bacterial activity)

Originally Posted By: hr1940
Contact your county extension agent and he can tell you the best way to deal with them. I contact the one in our area about all kinds of things --- my tomatoe plants, bugs and tree problems.

You need to send in a sample to the FDA who'll forward the sample to CDC and eventually to the EPA. EPA will then classify your home as a Superfund site for a clean up. They will probably ask you to get a licensed professional, apply a permit, remove it, and ask a county inspector to check if it meets all the code.

Or you can just pick them out and dump them in the trash, or burn them in the fireplace.

Cornmeal. It will control the fungi blooms without destroying the rhizospere in your lawn like a chemical fingicide. Sometimes homes have burried limbs or blocks of wood leftof==ver from construction.. these will be regular locations of mushrooms.

With apologies to Crocodile Dundee,

That's not a mushroom....

This
FungusAmongUs.jpg

is a mushroom.

This was in my backyard about 3 years ago. There were 4 like this, this was the biggest and measured about 8" across.

That's a nasty old bolete (boletus edulis, king bolete, porcini) I found a few years ago when I went back home for a while a few years ago. The smaller ones taste of course better, but the large ones are impressive. That's a scan from a B&W negative, so the quality is bad:

bolete.jpg

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Those ones are good for golf swing practice. Is that a puffball?
No. Not sure what kind it was, but it wasn't a puffball. The thing was pretty solid.

(from Waterworld)

MUTATION!!!!!!

You could be providing decaying organic matter for future mushroom growth. Then again, we're all subject to the mushroom effect. Kept in the dark and covered with liberal amounts of ......

Originally Posted By: msparks
FYI,

Bacteria need air (aerobic) to breakdown organic matter. Where they convert nitrogen from the air to the roots of the plant (Air is 78% nitrogen)

If that doesn't solve your problem, then use some type of de-thatcher to get the thatch off the surface of the ground. Then apply some type of microbial stimulant (organic fertilizer)

Then keep on mulching, Mulching your yard can add an additional 120 lbs per acre of free nitrogen (as long as you have bacterial activity)

'Fungi don't need air (anaerobic) That's why you seen my fungi in the forest.'

All need air, fungi no different from bacteria needs a healthy soil base. How else can they strive.

Originally Posted By: msparks
FYI,

'I would probably aerate your yard soon, that should help with the fungi.'

Aeration or any type of mechanical movement in the soil will cause a a shake down in the society culture of fungi in the soil. Fungi tend to repel from such movement and yes that could be a solution but also messing with the natural make up of fungi social behavior.

What I am saying is it's a mother nature thing. It has to do with humidity and temp and prolong moisture on the organic matter that somehow triggers the fungi to feed heavier...just nature. Let it be, use a stick and if don't like seeing the mushrooms. Mushrooms are short living.

imagine_all_but_one_curling.jpg

Sure swap in Ms. Mori for the proof shot.

redcap.jpg

(having audio memories of a certain Jackson Brown song ..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back