Multiple misfires detected - no codes

I think your engines will be just fine, I'd run a bottle of fuel system cleaner in both of them and drive on
19.gif

That is the plan! contemplating whether to go with Techron or use some Redline SL. any tips?

A non issue until a CEL happens which may be another 100k miles. Keep buying that Costco gas.

You say in your OP that they both have 100k miles on them, but later post that they have 40k and 47k, respectively. Which is it?

Does any one here specifically know how Hondas misfire logic is programmed? How many misfires in how much time is required before a CEL is thrown? If we don't know how the system works, then how can anyone condemn 1, 2, 3, 4 misfire events at cold idle?

/

OP, you make it seem as if you don't see any misfires when the engines are warmed up; is this true?

Are you able to check your fuel trims with your logger? If the fuel in is dead nuts on, then recommendations for fuel cleaners might not be prudent.

Are you able to view knock learning?

Originally Posted by gathermewool
You say in your OP that they both have 100k miles on them, but later post that they have 40k and 47k, respectively. Which is it?

Does any one here specifically know how Hondas misfire logic is programmed? How many misfires in how much time is required before a CEL is thrown? If we don't know how the system works, then how can anyone condemn 1, 2, 3, 4 misfire events at cold idle?

/

OP, you make it seem as if you don't see any misfires when the engines are warmed up; is this true?

Are you able to check your fuel trims with your logger? If the fuel in is dead nuts on, then recommendations for fuel cleaners might not be prudent.

Are you able to view knock learning?

Cumulative mileage for both cars is close to 100K with 40K on pilot and 47K on Civic.

Here's the report that I've obtained tonight from my Civic. Car sat for a few hours so it was sort of a cold start. All the misfires have been accumulated within first 2-3 minutes I've driven the car. I'm not really knowledgeable on the fuel trims and knock learning. I've attached the full report for your reference but I can't seem to find those things that you've asked about. Appreciate the feedback

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 6
That's how Honda's remain reliable - CEL is only illuminated as a last resort. A BMW dash would be lit up like a Christmas tree with the condition of that vehicle.

Originally Posted by parshisa
That is the plan! contemplating whether to go with Techron or use some Redline SL. any tips?

Techron is my go to but I'm sure the well known brands with PEA are all good. I had a misfire a few years ago on one of my vehicles. Techron didn't help with the misfiring so I tried Redline, Gumout Regane, and STP ultra. None of them helped, turned out the injector itself was bad and needed to be replaced. So I have no technical knowledge on which ones work. I've always used Techron and never really experimented with the other brands!

If you have an actual misfire that needs to be looked at, the count(s) will rise. There are tons of cars out there that will always have those extremely low counts. I wouldn't worry about it at all unless you start to notice an issue or it misfires enough to flag a code.

Last edited:
Ive had 2 rounds of Misfire based issues resulting replacement DI injectors. My current theory is that you need to run PEA regularly to keep them clean and avoid them going out of spec. AZ had Gumout 2 for 1 sale a week ago so I stocked up

In your log, the sum of # 36 and 37 is your total fuel trim. What you show in the pdf is a GREAT fuel trim - very close to zero. UNFORTUNATELY, it looks like you're only able to take a snapshot. Can you grab a shot while you're mashing the go pedal?

I wonder if your "misfire" count is similar to Subaru's "roughness", which we who tune don't even look at for fear of going mad! I.e., roughness doesn't matter until actual misfires are set off a CEL.

Based on your low mileage AND the fact that you're seeing the same thing in two completely different Honda engines, I'd have ZERO concerns and wouldn't do anything unusual to "trouble-shoot" this.

//

Finally, referring to multiple vehicles by their TOTAL mileage is weird. Just tell us the individual mileage, like a normal human! :p

Back