Multimeter voltage calibration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put them on AC and go check that out.
wink.gif

That is a great idea but for some reason, I never have the guts to plug multi-meter leads in to a live AC outlet. I am somewhat superstitious in that way.

By the way, all my multi-meter leads show more than 0.2 ohm. I thought it should be lot less than that. I would love to be able to zero that without affecting the voltage readings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
Why on earth would you even have any of those cheap China Freight meters? Even if they are free? I guess some people just have to have it, since it's "free".

Well, to me, they have their place. I just bought one just to keep in the car. The thing that is worse then a cheap multimeter is NO multimeter when you need one.

90% of the time all I need to know is 'is there power or isn't there' or continuity.

Question: what is the Blue thing to the bottom left of the dial?

Originally Posted By: expat

Question: what is the Blue thing to the bottom left of the dial?

It's an HFE checker for transistors.
WELL worth the price of the meter, especially if it's free!

I have a couple of the Fluke 77 that followed me home from work long ago. I sometimes 'calibrate' them by comparing their values. Seem fine and happy

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Just to humor me, would you grab another Fluke and see if both Fluke gives you the same readings? You know where this is going, right?

I linked this thread a few days ago, and remembered this.

So I went out with a fluke 179, an 87v, a hioki analog meter, and the two I calibrated in 2014.

Here's the result on a Honda battery on float charge that has been sitting in that state for days:

295D3105-1B04-4680-A1A1-D2A733B4378A_zpscxzv5e8w.jpg

The hioki suffers from a bit of parralax in that image, but it's spot on 13.5V.

Your Harbor Freight freeby reads a tad high. I have several and they all read like that. Close enough for my needs. Those Flukes are nice little meters.

One high, one low. Note I had calibrated them to the fluke 179 in 2014. Views was questioning the consistency of the fluke reading, which is spot on with other first world meters.

How do you like the Hioki?

BTW, isn't it odd that one Cen-Tech drifted to read lower and the other drifted to read higher?

Originally Posted By: spackard
How do you like the Hioki?

BTW, isn't it odd that one Cen-Tech drifted to read lower and the other drifted to read higher?

It's a fine meter with nicely thought out probes with removable protectors.

I wanted a Triplett, but apparently they are now made in Thailand or China. The Hioki is Japanese.

I'd like a Simpson 260 but it's big and heavy for on the fly use (silly argument I know, they're used like crazy all over). I have one in the lab.

One of my HF meters was reading way off before I realized it was the battery that was way too low. A new battery brought it closer, but now I just don't trust my non-Fluke meters.

If you happen to have the meters hanging around, maybe you could measure some voltages in a different range, like under 5V or over 20V? I'd be curious to see how well the calibration holds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back