multi bank battery charger question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here at work we are going to do a pilot program using a key kiosk for employees to check out vehicles for short term use such as a day or multi day out of town use. We have 10 brand new 2018-19 Ford Fusion Hybrids and the problem that we have is, if we do not drive them for a few days (3-4) the ICE starter batteries go dead and we have to jump start them. Of course this doesn't exude confidence in the person borrowing the car, and it is hard to explain to them that after driving for a few minutes the battery is good for a few days. To eliminate the issue I would like to invest in a multi bank batter charger/ maintainer to install in the parking garage to keep these ten cars plugged into. Does anyone have any experience with any 10 bank chargers that they care to share or might recommend?

I would buy new batteries for the ICE. They should last much longer than 3-4 days unless the hybrid is using a lot of power sitting around.

I'd rather have individual units. The only time i would use a "bank" charger is when equalizing the cells.

3-4 days is awful... just awful. There has to be a better way!

Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
The battery cannot start the car after sitting for 3-4 days? I would think you need more than a battery charger.

Originally Posted by sloinker
I would buy new batteries for the ICE. They should last much longer than 3-4 days unless the hybrid is using a lot of power sitting around.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Why are the batteries dying after 3-4 days? Makes no sense to me on a new car.

I concur, something is very wrong with these vehicles.

I too feel there is something wrong with the vehicles, but to more directly answer your question:

If you were pulling the batteries out and they were sitting in a row, sure a mult-bank charger makes sense. If all still in vehicles, you don't gain anything, might as well have individual maintenance chargers.

Originally Posted by InhalingBullets
Here at work we are going to do a pilot program using a key kiosk for employees to check out vehicles for short term use such as a day or multi day out of town use. We have 10 brand new 2018-19 Ford Fusion Hybrids and the problem that we have is, if we do not drive them for a few days (3-4) the ICE starter batteries go dead and we have to jump start them. Of course this doesn't exude confidence in the person borrowing the car, and it is hard to explain to them that after driving for a few minutes the battery is good for a few days. To eliminate the issue I would like to invest in a multi bank batter charger/ maintainer to install in the parking garage to keep these ten cars plugged into. Does anyone have any experience with any 10 bank chargers that they care to share or might recommend?

Thanks NYSteve not sure about expert but definitely own a lot of chargers, and deal with lots of batteries.

I don't know of a bank type charger with wide enough tentacles for 10 cars and wouldn't take that approach anyway, but go with multiple small maintain/charger type smart chargers.

Many come with eyelets and a break out connecter plug you wire to the battery - this is the preferred connection approach as you just fish the connector through the grill and plug back in when you get to a stall no clamping and unclamping and you can close the hood all the way at night.

IF this were my problem I'd go with separates from

#1 Optimate
#2 Ctek

Noco gets good play but Ive never seem them put out the rated amps

The clore/prologix units get a lot of play here, but I haven't used them.

UD

Why 10 bank charger instead of 10 trickle charger?

The problem with one big device approach is, if one fail, the whole system goes down. If 1 / 10 fail you have enough time to replace the bad one.

I have solution Take them to a Ford dealer and have them repaired.. no way they are supposed to go dead in 3 days.

Originally Posted by Rand
I have solution Take them to a Ford dealer and have them repaired.. no way they are supposed to go dead in 3 days.

This man is a genius. My hat is off.

Thanks for all the responses, part of the issue is that the cars sat for several months awaiting up-fitting...and Fords response (besides they will not replace the battery) well you have to drive them everyday!

Originally Posted by InhalingBullets
Thanks for all the responses, part of the issue is that the cars sat for several months awaiting up-fitting...and Fords response (besides they will not replace the battery) well you have to drive them every day!

You've got a compounding set of issues flattening your batteries - you've got low-level continuous drain combined with enough time for self-discharge to be relevant and intermittent driving (which will never completely fill the battery anyway)

I would solve that problem with 5 optimate 6's, and rotate them on and off the maintainer every few days.

The La cops recovered like 140 of 150 super expensive odyssey AGMs in cars that were waiting to be put into rotation use after upfitting - using optimate 6's

Let us know how you roll ultimately as now were in it with you.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UncleDave
I would solve that problem with 5 optimate 6's, and rotate them on and off the maintainer every few days.

You forgot the labor cost, it is not a DIY garage.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Originally Posted by UncleDave

You forgot the labor cost, it is not a DIY garage.

Labor installing eyelets the first time? If that's a biggie just use the clamps

Or labor plugging and unplugging an SAE connector?

I can't imagine the whole lot of 10 would take more than 2-3 minutes.

UD

It shouldn't be much of an issue with installation as I will be the one doing it. One thing that makes installation a little easier is that the battery is in the trunk behind a single panel that provides pretty easy access as opposed to being squeezed in the engine bay. That said, FORD in their infinite wisdom saw fit to not include trunk access by key. With a dead battery you have to pry the key lock cover off of the door handle, use the key to open the door and then either: open the hood and jump the car from a designated + or - post, or pull the latch on the back seat and fold it down and climb your 6'3" 250lb body into the trunk and pull the safety cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back