Old Century battery charger

I have this older Century battery charger that stopped working a few years ago. It was a decent battery charger but not a modern automatic one. And had a 100 amp start-boost. Which I never used.

So if I could fix it I would have another battery charger on the higher charging rate end. I have several others that are newer.

Also I thought it would be fun to see how much electronics I remember from my building Heathkit days.

I think I can get things like a diode but if the transformer is fried then I guess it's a basket case.

PXL_20240207_004419225.jpg

Hope you can fix it. Probably was made in the USA unlike most today. We will help you with your diagnosis. Hopefully it doesn't have selenium rectifiers.

Hope you can fix it. Probably was made in the USA unlike most today. We will help you with your diagnosis. Hopefully it doesn't have selenium rectifiers.
Exactly what I thought about the rectifiers. That should be well new enough to have silicon. I repaired a big dumb battery charger at work several times, the last time I was able to source much larger diodes from our rotating electric and battery supplier who also had a rebuild shop. The charger was well over 30 years old but worked well and was used so much it actually wore out the cooling fan motor. A scrap microwave we raided for the magnets provided a new fan assembly. Good luck on yours and have fun fixing it.

That unit is relatively quite new. Though the transformer is traditional iron core, the rectifiers are silicon and there is also a solid-state control board with an SCR that interrupts the charging current when the battery voltage has increased to the limit. The "Normal / Deep Cycle" switch alters the cutoff voltage slightly. The charging rate switch on the right changes taps on the transformer primary to affect the open-circuit secondary voltage, which translates into nominal charging rates.

If continuously overloaded or the switch is left in the "start boost" position, the transformer will overheat and blow a one-time thermal fuse buried in its windings. First thing to check is the continuity of the primary with the fuse. Transformer failure is beyond economical repair.

I have one of these, private labled and sold originally by Griot's Garage. Its probably 15 to 20 years old. I use it mostly to jump friends cars...I keep it with a 50 ft extension cord to run to their house with...yeah, I should just get a jump pack. :)

But the "automatic" function of turning off when the battery is fully charged is not that great. I tried using the 2amp setting on a motorcycle battery and even when the green light showing "charge complete", it was still sending current and boiling the electrolyte. So you cannot leave this attached once charged. It never fully "turns off" as it claims in the owners manual or literature. I think it just tapers down...but clearly not enough. It works fine as a charger, but is not "smart" enough to leave unmonitored.

Define stopped working,
Completely stopped working?
Some functionality, but not all?
Well when last used several years ago it was not working to the point where I took the cover off to look around inside. It's been in a box and moved to DE. Now going through stuff to see if I should fix or toss.

I have asked Century for a schematic. Hopefully I will get than and can start to determine what is wrong.

I have one of these, private labled and sold originally by Griot's Garage. Its probably 15 to 20 years old. I use it mostly to jump friends cars...I keep it with a 50 ft extension cord to run to their house with...yeah, I should just get a jump pack. :)

But the "automatic" function of turning off when the battery is fully charged is not that great. I tried using the 2amp setting on a motorcycle battery and even when the green light showing "charge complete", it was still sending current and boiling the electrolyte. So you cannot leave this attached once charged. It never fully "turns off" as it claims in the owners manual or literature. I think it just tapers down...but clearly not enough. It works fine as a charger, but is not "smart" enough to leave unmonitored.
I have a collection of BatterMinder chargers/maintainer to leave on for the winter.

This would be to get the basic charge into a dead battery

Had one of these exact ones forever. Fan cooled, Heavy as hell, charged and boosted awesome. Cable insulations were cracking apart and electrical taped repeatedly. Overcharged a couple Optima batteries over the years. Gave it away to a scrap guy as I was cleaning up one day. Really hated doing it but it was more sentimental value than was getting used. Dad had it forever than made it's way to me.

I get good use from my CTEK smart charger these days and works fine for all I need.

1708112892713.jpg

Century has not gotten back to me with a schematic. Any ideas.
I believe Century has been out of business over 10 years.

I have a 55/10/2A that looks almost the same as yours but it's not a Deep Cycle and it's red from 12/99. The green charge complete light would come on way before the battery was charged. It was an easy fix, the circuit board was not fully seated. I use it every week now and it works fine.

My next project is a Silver beauty from 10/57.

Last edited:
I believe Century has been out of business over 10 years.

I have a 55/10/2A that looks almost the same as yours but it's not a Deep Cycle and it's red from 12/99. The green charge complete light would come on way before the battery was charged. It was an easy fix, the circuit board was not fully seated. I use it every week now and it works fine.

My next project is a Silver beauty from 10/57.
Still have an active website and customer service contact page

You are right, they're still in business. I looked on their website for a switch for my 1980s Sears charger made by Century which they didn't have.

I was told by Rick @ PLP Battery Supply that it was not available for over 10 years.

Really hated doing it but it was more sentimental value than was getting used. Dad had it forever than made it's way to me.

I get good use from my CTEK smart charger these days and works fine for all I need.
Tossing D-cell flashlights, fluorescent fixtures as well as tubes.
How much satisfaction you get from resurrecting outdated chargers is for you to determine.
There's more money in refitting Art-Deco radios.

You are right, they're still in business. I looked on their website for a switch for my 1980s Sears charger made by Century which they didn't have.

I was told by Rick @ PLP Battery Supply that it was not available for over 10 years.
If the switch it not proprietary, you can probably find it on Mouser. I needed a power switch for an older ShopVac that was not available separately from the manufacturer. I found it on Mouser for $1.30. Bought two so I have a spare. There are tons of Youtube videos on repairing stuff...sometimes they even list parts sources and part numbers.

Tossing D-cell flashlights, fluorescent fixtures as well as tubes.
How much satisfaction you get from resurrecting outdated chargers is for you to determine.
There's more money in refitting Art-Deco radios.
Its still made. The current version sells for $200.

If he can fix it for a few dollars, what's the harm in that?

Back