MSI Core Liquid 360r cooler

I had purchased an MSI Core Liquid 360r cooler from Amazon on 2-28-2021 which came with a 3 yr warranty. I just started having issues with it overheating and the Ryzen 9 3900xt was running at 95c. I found they had a recall on these units and chatted with them this morning but their end date was Feb. of this year so they won't honor the recall since it's now over. I noticed the overheating last week and already ordered the v2 version but now having second thoughts about MSI. I get that it wasn't under warranty but I was hoping they would at least still honor the recall and I didn't know they had an end date. For now I had to change the power settings in Windows for force it to run at the lowest speed and it's currently at 50c which is certainly a lot better.

I'm honestly thinking of ordering a Noctua just to keep on hand in case something happens down the road. They are a bit more expensive but are quiet and they just work, also fans are a lot cheaper and easier to replace. The new cooler is coming tomorrow, evidently FedEx Home doesn't deliver in my area on Mondays so it's been sitting in Hagerstown all weekend and hasn't moved.

I'd return the msi. That is no way to treat your customers. Also 3 year warranty is bleh.
standard is 5 or 6.

LIAN-LI ,

ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III RGB or not.​

Corsair if you want to overpay :ROFLMAO:

etc.

I really liked my previous "Kracken" cooler..

I had a nice 3 fan but it didnt fit my new case and in a pinch I bought a corsair from bestbuy.. works fine. was worth not driving another 84 miles to microcenter

Part of the issue was the orientation of the 3 fan put the lines at the top right where it could suck air bubbles into the cpu block(bad angle)
lines werent long enough to bottom orient the cooler lines
So I wanted to top mount the cooler in the case instead of front mount.. and its only 300mm u g h .

but the corsair hasn't blinked at my overclocked i7-13700k.

Last edited:
I believe at the time there were basically 2 pumps that all the manufacturers used but I cannot think of their names at the moment but pretty much you were getting one or the other. MSI used faulty coolant that created sediment and clogged it up, I don't know if it was just them or if the same coolant was used for the other brands. I did find a YouTube video where he cleans it out and flushes alcohol through it which I could easily do but I've read horror stories about mold inside these things. Evidently MSI wanted the old ones back including everything, brackets, fans, etc... and were replacing them with the v2.

I paid $119.99 for the old one, the v2 was $115.00 so at least it was a bit cheaper and they have a $10 rebate too. Honestly this reminds of of the recall that GM had on the gauge clusters back in the 2000's, mine failed shortly after it expired due to the mileage and were only covering them to 70k miles and mine failed not long after.

Meh, this is why I build almost everything with air coolers. Not as cool (no pun intended) but I have never ever had a failure.

I usually use Noctua in higher end builds. In cheaper builds I just use whatever is on sale that’s name brand.

Meh, this is why I build almost everything with air coolers. Not as cool (no pun intended) but I have never ever had a failure.

I usually use Noctua in higher end builds. In cheaper builds I just use whatever is on sale that’s name brand.
I agree, Noctua seems to be the best I've found for air coolers and they are more expensive but the build quality is 2nd to none. I have it installed in a rackmount 4u case so my cooler choices are limited but I have found one from them that I believe will work. Honestly the placement for the radiator isn't all that ideal as it's mounted in front of the board, I removed the fans that were mid-mounted in the case and installed the radiator there, theres also 3 fans in the front pulling air through the drive bays but nothing is populated and it has 2x exhaust fans in the rear.

I agree, Noctua seems to be the best I've found for air coolers and they are more expensive but the build quality is 2nd to none. I have it installed in a rackmount 4u case so my cooler choices are limited but I have found one from them that I believe will work. Honestly the placement for the radiator isn't all that ideal as it's mounted in front of the board, I removed the fans that were mid-mounted in the case and installed the radiator there, theres also 3 fans in the front pulling air through the drive bays but nothing is populated and it has 2x exhaust fans in the rear.

Given that it’s in a 4u case I’m assuming you have it rack mounted in the closet or a garage? In which case you can pick up used server grade heatsink/fans off eBay for dirt cheap that will fit in your case no problem. Sure they’ll be louder but if it doesn’t matter I would say the money spent on Noctuas premium engineering for silence is probably wasted.

If they won't honor the recall, then they should still honor the 3-year warranty since it's defective.

I was all air too with a NH15s until I put together my friend's build with an AIO. It's way easier to install, looks better, and now I reach anywhere on my mobo without the heatsink being in the way. But in any normal build I would go with the stock cooler anyways.

Given that it’s in a 4u case I’m assuming you have it rack mounted in the closet or a garage? In which case you can pick up used server grade heatsink/fans off eBay for dirt cheap that will fit in your case no problem. Sure they’ll be louder but if it doesn’t matter I would say the money spent on Noctuas premium engineering for silence is probably wasted.
It's not rack mounted, I have it on one of those adjustable wire rack shelves down in the basement and sitting on another server that I'm currently not using. I do have plans on getting a rack mount that has wheels so I can roll it around.

I'm currently looking at the Noctua NH-D12L but does not include the 2nd fan so I would have to add that. I checked Noctua's compatibility and shows that it will work with that case. I'm also using D15's on other builds, I just bought an L9x65 from Newegg that I was going to use on a new i3 socket 1700 build but decided instead on the C14s due to the 140mm fan support. I have an Ryzen 7 5700x that I never finished building and the L9 would be perfect for that, I read that it's good for 84w but the CPU is only 65w and I have a 2nd fan for it. I'll have to check the basement but I seem to remember purchasing another Noctua cooler that I haven't used, I was going to upgrade an older Xeon socket 1150 but never got around to removing the board and getting it done.

In total I have 7 systems up and running, the older Intel's are real workhorses but I need to consolidate and get them updated at some point. I'm even sitting on a Ryzen 9 7950x3d and most of the parts to finish that one, I temporarily borrowed some of the memory and the m.2 drive I was going to use and put them in with the i3 just so that I could use it.

Thermalright Peerless Assassin. It’s phenomenal.

That is an amazing deal, the Noctua is way more expensive and only includes the one fan. They show the specs in their pictures and would work for me, according to Noctua for my case it shows up to 165mm height but they only listed coolers that were up to 160mm.

If they won't honor the recall, then they should still honor the 3-year warranty since it's defective.

I was all air too with a NH15s until I put together my friend's build with an AIO. It's way easier to install, looks better, and now I reach anywhere on my mobo without the heatsink being in the way. But in any normal build I would go with the stock cooler anyways.
I have another AIO that I used in another mini-itx build, I believe it was a Cooler Master since that is what the case was, I think it's just a single 120mm and was using it to cool a Ryzen 7 2700x and was a bit challenged. I wouldn't use it to cool the Ryzen 9 but would the Ryzen 7 since the one I have is only 65w. I purchased it end of Feb. 2021 so it was just over 1 month out of warranty, I was hoping they would offer me at least a discount towards a new one.

That is an amazing deal, the Noctua is way more expensive and only includes the one fan. They show the specs in their pictures and would work for me, according to Noctua for my case it shows up to 165mm height but they only listed coolers that were up to 160mm.
It tests very close in performance and is a great price. I have one on a Ryzen 5800x, which is a hot running chip, and it keeps temps well within range.

It tests very close in performance and is a great price. I have one on a Ryzen 5800x, which is a hot running chip, and it keeps temps well within range.
That's exactly why I went with the 5700x, basically same CPU just a bit slower but also less watts in comparison. For the performance the Ryzen 9 is hard to beat but the rest of the systems I'm going with ones that are around 65w or so. I have a 3600x that is 95w that I could easily swap the 5700x.

I have another AIO that I used in another mini-itx build, I believe it was a Cooler Master since that is what the case was, I think it's just a single 120mm and was using it to cool a Ryzen 7 2700x and was a bit challenged. I wouldn't use it to cool the Ryzen 9 but would the Ryzen 7 since the one I have is only 65w. I purchased it end of Feb. 2021 so it was just over 1 month out of warranty, I was hoping they would offer me at least a discount towards a new one.

Ah I missed that, I thought you had it for only a year. I've always been iffy about purchasing cooling options for companies that traditionally manufacture mobos/ram/gpus.

Ah I missed that, I thought you had it for only a year. I've always been iffy about purchasing cooling options for companies that traditionally manufacture mobos/ram/gpus.
Awhile back I built a mini itx using an MSI board but didn't like where they had the front USB 3.0 header and ended up breaking one of the pins because there was literally no room to work inside that case, I had the Cooler Master AIO with the 2700x but the heat was a bit too much, I ended up swapping for an Asus board but eventually sold it to my friend who then later upgraded the CPU that he got from a co-worker and gave the old stuff back to me. I believe he got a 3700x but is still using the same board.

For my desktop I went back to the Xeon 1150 and the i3 is replacing that. I like how it can be upgraded at anytime to i5, i7, or i9 but from what I'm noticing right now the cooler is barely enough for the i3. Newegg finally shipped me the 140mm Noctua fans which should come end of the week. I tried ordering them from Amazon but they sent me the industrial version both times so I'm finally getting a refund once they receive them back.

The industrial version is probably the better fan overall but don't want to deal with the extra noise they will make.

Reactions: Pew
Back when I was big into building I used to refer to MSI as "Micro S*** International" and there was a reason for that, lol.

I’m pretty happy with the Arctic Liquid Freezer, it has a five year warranty I believe.

Your Ryzen 9 is a pretty hot running CPU, so staying with a liquid cooler is probably a good idea, not so much from the temp control, but from the noise level control aspect.
I’m sure a lot of air cooler can keep the temps under control, but they will be noisier in the process. And the high end air coolers like Noctua are priced pretty much the same as most AIOs, so at that point it a matter of preference or aesthetics.

Back