Moving to the country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: grampi
Is there a particular reason why country homes never seem to have access to natural gas? They all seem to have propane and/or wood burners...

Yes, because of the cost to run it. No updates, we decided to pass on this place and are still looking.

I will update again if we find something. The biggest issue is that I am quite fond of my current house, which means that I really need to be head-over-heals on a new place. That hasn't happened yet.

We have some friends that are looking to move into our area to be closer to work, and its tough to find what they are looking for atleast. 5-20 acres, hobby barn and decent shape house(no age preference really). I don't know if the market has peaked or this is just the new normal but it seems expensive to me, but I suppose your house has also increased in value proportionally as well.
For me atleast, I'd find a piece of property which has what you want, location, size, landscape features, and maybe it comes with a house or maybe not. Getting an old well taken care of house with character isn't impossible, but often they come with $5-600k of farm land/buildings. Lots of the semi-retired dairy farmers I buy hay from have great century homes, but they get near 7 figures too with the home farm attached. Perhaps severing off the farm part would work though given the demand for it.
Anyways, to get something fairly specific, you'll probably have to wait for it to show up, as there maybe only 20-30 properties in the area you want that meet your specs. Not like the 100's or 1000's in a particular city neighborhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back