mouse under hood

I was told by my mechanic that I have a mouse living under the hood or my car and I should bring the car in next week. If the mouse damages the wires that will short circuit and I will need a new car. So as long as my car starts and runs there is no damage? I ask because I need gas and should I get a full tank or should I put in a quarter of a tank instead?

You won't need a new car lol....but they do damage to plastic evap lines, wiring and insulation.

If you see one mouse you have five you have not seen. They can die inside the dash and smell gross for months. Chew wires. Chew hoses. Comprehensive insurance will pay to find, remove and repair mouse damage.

Cat?

We have a MouseBlocker Pro under the hood in each of our vehicles. It may prevent under the hood but not the entire vehicle.

Chipmunk chewed the injector wiring on one of my vehicles. Had to replaced some of the under hood wiring harness. Bought a realistic looking rubber black snake and keep it under the front of the car on the driveway. So far it’s worked.

They can take out the entire wiring harness and every hose and tube in sight, or just focus on one wire, like they did on my Canyon. The chewing of that one wire fried my BCM, and was only found because the cruise control stopped working. Best to evict him a.s.a.p.

I was told by my mechanic that I have a mouse living under the hood or my car and I should bring the car in next week. If the mouse damages the wires that will short circuit and I will need a new car. So as long as my car starts and runs there is no damage? I ask because I need gas and should I get a full tank or should I put in a quarter of a tank instead?
Maybe. maybe not . Why is a mouse doing living under the hood.

What's the connection between getting a full tank vs. a quarter tank of gas? That the mechanic might tell you that you need a new car?

I thought this was a joke until I saw the post count.

Yes, rodents can chew wires, etc rendering your car useless. But, it's probably not living in the engine compartment. It's probably coming and going. So my question would be why does he want you to bring the car back? You need to stop the rodent. Coffee grounds worked for me when my truck was being attacked by a squirrel. There are also commercial sprays, etc. I now have an air rifle with a scope and relish in the event I nail one with a pellet.

Keep the tank full. More gas, less open space, less condensation, less water in the gas.

I read that those varments do not like the smell of essential oils. You could spray some under the hood. I have good luck with some mothballs inside a cheesecloth bag placed under the hood. I have seen mothballs already inside a perforated plastic bag too.

I am concerned about how much gas to put in because if the car is ruined I don't want a full tank of gas to go along with it.
But never mind that for now. I can smell urine when in the car. Is that from under the hood or is the odor coming from elsewhere? So what some of you are saying is that even if the car can start and go places there could be damage, even enough for me to need a new car.

It's unbelievable how much damage rodents can do to a vehicle or machinery. I watched a youtube video recently about an old Oliver farm tractor that sat for years in a barn, and was trying to be brought back to life.. It didn't have a muffler on it, just a pipe straight up in the air. Mice actually got down the exhaust pipe, set up shop in the cylinders where the exhaust valves were open and because of years of peeing in there, locked that engine up to the point it needed new pistons, cylinder liners and a ton of other hard parts.

It's unbelievable how much damage rodents can do to a vehicle or machinery. I watched a youtube video recently about an old Oliver farm tractor that sat for years in a barn, and was trying to be brought back to life.. It didn't have a muffler on it, just a pipe straight up in the air. Mice actually got down the exhaust pipe, set up shop in the cylinders where the exhaust valves were open and because of years of peeing in there, locked that engine up to the point it needed new pistons, cylinder liners and a ton of other hard parts.
Watch Wes Work!

Reactions: JTK
Back