Motul vs Pentosin?

I’ve searched the forums but I’ve yet to find if Pentosin 5W40 or a Motul 0W40 8100 max oil analysis test? It’s going in a Mercedes with an M113K supercharged V-8. I’ve been using 0W 40 from Castrol but I just used the Pentosin 5W40 and it feels like my engine is quieter and smoother but I’m trying to take advantage of the FCP Euro lifetime guarantee before November 1 when they change it And they dont have the Pentosin 5w40 but Motul is 100% synthetic.

when they originally came out on Friday and said they were changing it, you’re no longer allowed to get back returns onto your card everything would be store credit, obviously a lot of people were upset about that and voiced their opinions over the weekend, so they decided to change it to November 1 and then everything prior to that would be grandfathered in where you have the option to receive store credit or receive the money back on your credit card.

If both those oils carry the proper approval for your engine then there is no substantive difference in performance. Retuning one because it “feels like my engine is quieter and smoother” is entirely subjective. Besides, fresh oil always seems quieter and smoother.

I’ve searched the forums but I’ve yet to find if Pentosin 5W40 or a Motul 0W40 8100 max oil analysis test? It’s going in a Mercedes with an M113K supercharged V-8. I’ve been using 0W 40 from Castrol but I just used the Pentosin 5W40 and it feels like my engine is quieter and smoother but I’m trying to take advantage of the FCP Euro lifetime guarantee before November 1 when they change it And they dont have the Pentosin 5w40 but Motul is 100% synthetic.
Castrol 0W40 before both of those.
Motul is not 100% synthetic. But, between two, I would go Motul.

Castrol 0W40 before both of those.
Motul is not 100% synthetic. But, between two, I would go Motul.
How do they get away with saying its 100% synthetic on their bottles and not saying full synthetic? I used castrol and sent in my sample last week to Blackstone, ill post it on here!

How do they get away with saying its 100% synthetic on their bottles and not saying full synthetic? I used castrol and sent in my sample last week to Blackstone, ill post it on here!
There's no legal definition of "synthetic" in the US. It's marketing. In countries such as Germany "synthetic" means it contains a minimum amount of PAO (I don't remember how much). However even in Germany there's no such thing as 100 percent PAO.

In any case in the US "Synthetic" is typically a mixture of two or more base oils (Typically 2, 3(3+),4, 5) which are blended with an addpack to meet the performance requirement of various automaker certs. Some oils perform comparatively better than others in some or all of the tests but they all meet the cert.

Last edited:
It is synthetic. And no Blackstone analysis will show a difference between the oils since a spectrographic analysis is incapable of doing so. Such an analysis is unable to discriminate quality differences between oils.

There is no synthetic police to go after them. Only in Germany there is a law that regulates such thing. In rest of the Europe they label products like here.
Sound of engine between different oils doesn’t mean anything. Previous version of Mobil1 0W40 was noticeably “louder,” but always returned excellent results.
Castrol Edge 0W40 is exceptional oil. 0W30 even more so.

when they originally came out on Friday and said they were changing it, you’re no longer allowed to get back returns onto your card everything would be store credit, obviously a lot of people were upset about that and voiced their opinions over the weekend, so they decided to change it to November 1 and then everything prior to that would be grandfathered in where you have the option to receive store credit or receive the money back on your credit card.

First I've heard of this, could you link it?

Then again, doesn't matter too much in the long run when you have a set $ you're churning on maintenance and spare parts.

I read somewhere Motul was actually recently fined a substantial amount in Germany for selling their Group 3 oils as Vollsytetische in Germany when in Germany only Group 4 and up are allowed to be sold as Vollsyntetische.

I wonder if it's worthwhile to try something like the Motul Xclean+ 5w30 for my B58?

It's LL-04 and VW 504, so I wonder if it's better for potential valve deposits as it's ACEA C3 and lower SAPS than LL-01 oils like Pennzoil Euro 5w40.

I thankfully can still send in used oil as credit against the LM 0w-20 I bought year before last from FCP.

I wonder if it's worthwhile to try something like the Motul Xclean+ 5w30 for my B58?

It's LL-04 and VW 504, so I wonder if it's better for potential valve deposits as it's ACEA C3 and lower SAPS than LL-01 oils like Pennzoil Euro 5w40.

I thankfully can still send in used oil as credit against the LM 0w-20 I bought year before last from FCP.
I don't see why not. BMW has used a ACEA Cx oil in the B58 since launch in the North America so any LL04 would be find. If it were more convenient I'd run LL04 in my N55.

LL04 is basically thicker LL17FE that BMW uses in B58.

Right, question though is it "worth" it over LL-01 like Pennzoil?

Motul being $53 / 5L then 2x $15 / 1L bottles.

Re: valve deposits, low(er) SAPS, etc.
Those are different oils Motul is Low-SAPS, Pentosin LL01 is not.
This is comparable Pentosin:

Or, you could go to local Wal Mart and get Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 LL04 for $22 for 5qt. Exceptional oil.

First I've heard of this, could you link it?

Then again, doesn't matter too much in the long run when you have a set $ you're churning on maintenance and spare parts.
I’m not saying it’s a terrible change, at least they’re grandfathering stuff and because when they first released it they said it was not grandfathered, but for example fuel pumps for my Mercedes are $1000 and then the shocks were $2000, if something were to go wrong, that’s a lot of store credit.

Back